Author Topic: Weight/Thickness Ratio  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Burton8219

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.5.6 Mac OS X 10.5.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Weight/Thickness Ratio
« on: May 30, 2009, 09:57:37 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my old shortboard... I know that weight and thickness of the board go hand in hand, so I have a question about a board I recently got to look at. It's a Lost SD-4. Sweet looking quad that I would love to check out and ride. Question is if the thickness is good for my weight. I'm currently 5'10" and weigh exactly 200 pounds, but am looking to shave off time on my 40 for baseball (shitty economy hoping to get a scholarship lol) so I will be losing anywhere from 20-40 pounds this summer/fall. The boards dims are 6'2 x 19.5 x 2 3/8. I'd assume that's thick enough for me to ride. I learned on a fish that was kind of biscuity, if you know what I mean. Weird thing about this board is that when I looked on the Lost site it said this board came with 5 fin boxes, but the board only has 4. I don't really mind all that much, just a weird thing I noticed. I rode a quad last summer and loved how it rode, so I decided my new one should be a quad. They are just as responsive as a thruster and a bit more stable... you can't go wrong there lol. Thanks for taking the time to read guys.

-Zack

Offline ez_ed

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 68
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.5.5 Mac OS X 10.5.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 3.1.2 Safari 3.1.2
      • View Profile
    Re: Weight/Thickness Ratio
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You're planning on losing up to 40 lbs.??? Whoa.
    At your current weight 2 3/8" won't work too well. I mean if you're a really talented surfer with lots of experience in good waves, it'll work
    but that's not what I'd get shaped and I'm 200 lbs as well(but 6'4" so I'd go longer thicker and a tad wider).

What position do you play? You playing in any Summer leagues?
    "Live like you're dying."

Offline Burton8219

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
    • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 07:49:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah I lose/gain weight really fast so it would take me like a couple of months to drop between 20 and 40 pounds. I play second base and I play on a summer Connie Mack team.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.10 Firefox 3.0.10
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah I lose/gain weight really fast so it would take me like a couple of months to drop between 20 and 40 pounds. I play second base and I play on a summer Connie Mack team.

Hey Burton - you couldnt have a better person to get advice from the ez_ed - a literal world of experience.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 91
    • Soft hated: 9
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Internet Explorer 8.0 Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my old shortboard... I know that weight and thickness of the board go hand in hand, so I have a question about a board I recently got to look at. It's a Lost SD-4. Sweet looking quad that I would love to check out and ride. Question is if the thickness is good for my weight. I'm currently 5'10" and weigh exactly 200 pounds, but am looking to shave off time on my 40 for baseball (shitty economy hoping to get a scholarship lol) so I will be losing anywhere from 20-40 pounds this summer/fall. The boards dims are 6'2 x 19.5 x 2 3/8. I'd assume that's thick enough for me to ride. I learned on a fish that was kind of biscuity, if you know what I mean. Weird thing about this board is that when I looked on the Lost site it said this board came with 5 fin boxes, but the board only has 4. I don't really mind all that much, just a weird thing I noticed. I rode a quad last summer and loved how it rode, so I decided my new one should be a quad. They are just as responsive as a thruster and a bit more stable... you can't go wrong there lol. Thanks for taking the time to read guys.

-Zack

shedding time on your 40 won't help too much on getting a baseball scholarship especially bc at most schools/ pro workouts they have everyone running 60s. 40s are a football thing i'm pretty sure... 
    "get your f**cking facts straight and quit being an idiot"

christian fletcher

Offline ez_ed

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Get on a weighted sled. That'll speed you up...

200 lbs is big for a 2nd baseman(even by major league standards). But if you've got some pop in your bat and play a good 2nd base, the coaches should be interested. They love middle infielders with power. Good luck. Work hard and live in the batting cage and good things will happen for you I bet.

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 91
    • Soft hated: 9
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Internet Explorer 8.0 Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 12:22:10 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • and a jump rope.. if you're any good the coaches already know who you are..
    "get your f**cking facts straight and quit being an idiot"

christian fletcher

Offline ez_ed

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:18 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • and a jump rope.. if you're any good the coaches already know who you are..
    Good call. 2nd base you need crazy agility. Throw in some agility training. My guess is that your Connie Mack coach is already onto that stuff though.

Offline Burton8219

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
    • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 03:25:08 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm not a really fat 200 guys, I'm a pretty muscular 200 lbs with not too much fat, so I'm really just looking to tone. I don't even know if 40 pounds is even possible with how much fat I have on me now. Yeah my coach already has me doing jump rope and suicides, as well as the usual distance running to trim whatever fat I have left. Kdrop, Schools look for 40 and 60 times. 40 is basically for agility right out of the box, while a 60 is more for acceleration over time. Coaches know about me, but not the bigger schools obviously. I've been to a few Perfect Game showcases with some scouts and got a decent score there. But back to the original topic... I think 2 3/8 is fine for the thickness. The shortie I hopped on after I learned on a mini-mal was probably around the same thickness, but if you guys say differently I will have to go with your advice, but I was fine on the original shortie I learned on

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
    • Mac OS X 10.5.7 Mac OS X 10.5.7
    • Browser:
    • Safari 3.2.3 Safari 3.2.3
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 10:18:31 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • why not email biolos at Lost and ask his opinion?  Being its his design and shapes Im sure he can tell you what would best suit your weight and ability.  Shapers tend to be pretty approachable when it comes to asking what of thier designs best suits your skills and ability.  No shaper wants to hear about a bad experience due to getting sold a board ill suited for your needs.
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline Burton8219

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
    • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 02:37:26 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I thought I would ask here first considering I would get a quicker response than if I were to email Matt for his opinion. I'm almost set on getting this because I feel it will be fine for my weight. I mean I remember a while back someone saying on here that they were approaching 250 lbs and their everyday board was 6'3 x 20 x 2 1/2. I mean I'm 50 pounds lighter and this board is only a inch shorter, a half inch smaller in width and 1/8th of a inch smaller in thickness. Worst comes to worst I hold on to it and use my old thruster until the weight comes off...

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 7
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Stating the obvious here... Dims give you a relative idea of the foam involved, but they don't speak to actual volume. You might think the board is the right size, but the rails might be bladed, the tail thinned out, etc.

Speaking from experience, I have never had success buying a board that I hoped to "grow into." I've learned that ya gotta buy the board that is right for you now, not where you hope to be two or three months down the line. Wait until then to reevaluate your dimensions.

You're also gonna get a ton of different feedback on this board from people that know what works for them and people (like me) that are still figuring things out. Biolos is pretty active on the Surfer Mag BB, so getting in touch with him probably won't be as hard as you might think.

Offline Burton8219

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
    • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Would you happen to know his username on the SurferMag Forums? I already sent an email to Lost asking about it. I just want to get an answer quick because it's a brand new board at a great price... don't want to lose it because of how great of a deal it is.

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 23
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Internet Explorer 7.0 Internet Explorer 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 02:36:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • some good advice on here.

i'd also point you to this thread where i outlined some rules of thumb for board dims.
    http://www.nynjsurf.com/forum/shapers-shack-surfboard-repair-restoration-and-shaping-tips/dimensions-rule-of-thumb-t14294.0.html

i'd guess a 6'2"x19.5x2.375 will only have about 65lbs of buoyancy whereas i think you'd want to get up around 75lbs.  Given your weight of 200lbs, that puts your little index number for this board around 17 which is pretty low.  In other words, i think you'll probably need a bit more volume unless you like and are used to "chippy" type boards.

For a weight of 200, a "20" board of same length and width would need to be 2.75" thick.  For that board to be in the ideal range by my rough guideline, i'd think you'd need to drop about 30lbs down to 170.

Alternatively, at 200lbs, you could try 6'4"x19.75"x2.625", but at 5'10" with a quad, i bet you're probably looking for the feel a 6'2".  Maybe 6'2"x19.875"x2.625".
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:56:12 PM by little_nasty »

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 7
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 03:01:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Would you happen to know his username on the SurferMag Forums?
    Mayhemb3