Author Topic: Two really basic questions...  (Read 1365 times)

Offline i can barely turn

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 4
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Internet Explorer 7.0 Internet Explorer 7.0
    • View Profile
Re: Two really basic questions...
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 10:55:14 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I would also add:

try to keep your legs together and yourself balanced on the board when you're paddling.  It's been debated as to whether kicking to get into a wave helps though my experience has been that it's best to keep the feet together and outta the water when paddling in as most of the time the legs hanging off all over the place just slows that momentum you need.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 0
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.11 Firefox 3.0.11
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 03:05:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • doh - was half sleeping while typing, meant to write regular=left foot fwd, goofy=right foot fwd. 
    carry on...
    Yeah, i'm goofy but right handed, been skateboarding for quite a while.
    Thanks though, i kinda caught them before they broke, but rode the whitewater in. Next time i go i'm gonna watch some better people if there are any and see what they do.

Not a question, but i noticed that between me and my two friends who are also beginners (but started earlier than me), i'm the only one concerned about getting in other peoples way. They ride the same wave like 5 feet apart while if i see they are paddling i just go over the wave.

Everybody on here seems to be picky about getting in others' way, but i don't blame them.
    Check out my photos

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Mac OS X 10.4 Mac OS X 10.4
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.11 Firefox 3.0.11
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 06:52:18 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Nice Dr Z.  Sounds like you've got a good amount figured out.  When you asked about frontside/backside, I was curious about footedness (since some new surfers don't seem to have that clearly established - for others, it's def one way or the other).  Cool that you're looking out for others and backing off when necessary.  Encourage your friends to do the same!  They'll have more fun on their waves, and those around them will be appreciative.  I genuinely think that for a lot of beginners, other people paddling is a visual cue to GO as opposed to 'not go.' 
    the A is a small price to pay