Author Topic: Surfing 101: Revisiting the Pop-Up  (Read 12046 times)

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 30
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.5.8 Mac OS X 10.5.8
  • Browser:
  • Safari 4.0.5 Safari 4.0.5
    • View Profile
Re: Surfing 101: Revisiting the Pop-Up
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I don't even know what to say about the latter 2 pop-ups demonstrated in that one video -- feel like that 'getting to your feet' action lasts longer than a lot of waves do around here.

Offline GoofySRFN

• Liked: 0
    • Windows Vista Windows Vista
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 4.1.249.1064 Chrome 4.1.249.1064
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 08:15:48 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I don't even know what to say about the latter 2 pop-ups demonstrated in that one video -- feel like that 'getting to your feet' action lasts longer than a lot of waves do around here.

yeah I definitely know what you mean... when you're riding 2ft waves around here there isn't too much time to do a Broadway tap dance on your board lol

Offline 16ASteadyrock

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So what's the consensus on pushing up from the rails vs. pushing up from the deck?

There's no doubt my pop-up is a problem. The best surfing I've done in my life has been on waves so long that I could, when necessary, recover my rhythm after correcting the kinks from a lackluster pop-up--correcting them over one or two sections, then pulling it together for the multiple ensuing sections. (Not an available crutch 'round here, obviously.)

Many wise folks have insisted that 80% of surfing, if not more, is the take off. It sets the tone for all that follows. 

Me, I definitely have that old man hunched-over pop-up hang-up. (Fatigue exasperates that bad habit, but I think it's always there to some degree.) Sometimes, I wish I could wear a brace that would keep my spine straight...

Any good advice for dealing with--or training to fix--that bad habit?
    Wookin' pa waves...

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 23
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 04:21:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • squats?  i'm only half kidding.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 09:52:53 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So what's the consensus on pushing up from the rails vs. pushing up from the deck?

There's no doubt my pop-up is a problem. The best surfing I've done in my life has been on waves so long that I could, when necessary, recover my rhythm after correcting the kinks from a lackluster pop-up--correcting them over one or two sections, then pulling it together for the multiple ensuing sections. (Not an available crutch 'round here, obviously.)

Many wise folks have insisted that 80% of surfing, if not more, is the take off. It sets the tone for all that follows.

Me, I definitely have that old man hunched-over pop-up hang-up. (Fatigue exasperates that bad habit, but I think it's always there to some degree.) Sometimes, I wish I could wear a brace that would keep my spine straight...

Any good advice for dealing with--or training to fix--that bad habit?

I've DEF got advice - I think I've studied this to the point of exhaustion LOL - and perhaps finally, I feel like I'm making some decent headway and I can feel it in my own surfing - which has progressed (in my own opinion) quite nicely over the past handful of months from "pretty consistently bad" to "not always totally incompetent"  ::)

But just like a physician doesnt need to have diabetes to know how to treat it, my own pop-up doesnt need to be perfect to help others perfect theirs.

So - specific to you and the description you provided, think about this:

1. All hands on DECK. Fingers around the rails cause drag in the water which slows you down. You may think it's imperceptible, but anything that causes drag is not good. Heck - it's why the pros so often surf leashless (or use "comp-light" leashes), they don't even want the drag of a leash. Fingers around the rails also puts you that fraction of an inch lower in the water, also not desirable.

2. Slide your hands further back towards your waist - if forces your upper body UP and helps minimize or even eliminate the "old man hunch"

3. Whenever you can and the wave/situation allows (which should be most of the time), ARCH YOUR BACK and get your head up high as you slide your hands back into position for the pop-up, BEFORE you actually pop up. Getting your back arched lifts your chest which makes the popup lighter and faster. Getting your head up high gives you a WAY better view of the wave and how you want to set up your ride - leading to a far better ride.

All that said, you surf better than me, dude - so take it all for what it's worth - but I hope it helps!!

;D
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 10:56:16 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • squats?  i'm only half kidding.

that's a good suggestion, actually. and about a thousand burpees. as a "new" surfer, it had been a hang-up for me. i felt like getting a lot stronger helped. watertime, obviously, and a couple of sessions skating the bowl (well, learning to skate the bowl), and being light and quick with your eyes, feet and hands to get that first pump in right away. and then a thousand more burpees.

Offline 16ASteadyrock

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you. Key counsel, Seacliff: I can visualize exactly what you're talking about... and now I'm very eager to try putting it to work. Part of the problem, I think, is my paddling: I tend to scramble too much at the last instant instead of building speed with control and giving myself that extra time for the arch. But I also think having my hands further back will get me in earlier put me on the tail better. (I've been completely guilty of sinking my hands around the rails.) Really, really appreciate it.

Kui, I know you're advice is more than half-good but... uh... just don't know if I can be that guy in the gym. Maybe home squats? With a chair or something?

Snaggle, I'm going to have to look up what a burpee is...

So what's the consensus on pushing up from the rails vs. pushing up from the deck?

1. All hands on DECK. Fingers around the rails cause drag in the water which slows you down. You may think it's imperceptible, but anything that causes drag is not good. Heck - it's why the pros so often surf leashless (or use "comp-light" leashes), they don't even want the drag of a leash. Fingers around the rails also puts you that fraction of an inch lower in the water, also not desirable.

2. Slide your hands further back towards your waist - if forces your upper body UP and helps minimize or even eliminate the "old man hunch"

3. Whenever you can and the wave/situation allows (which should be most of the time), ARCH YOUR BACK and get your head up high as you slide your hands back into position for the pop-up, BEFORE you actually pop up. Getting your back arched lifts your chest which makes the popup lighter and faster. Getting your head up high gives you a WAY better view of the wave and how you want to set up your ride - leading to a far better ride.

All that said, you surf better than me, dude - so take it all for what it's worth - but I hope it helps!!

;D
    Wookin' pa waves...

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 91
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 11:56:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • burpys and dives/duck unders get you strong
    "get your f**cking facts straight and quit being an idiot"

christian fletcher

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 09:49:17 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Here's a burpee:
    Burpees
    burpee

Offline 16ASteadyrock

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: July 17, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • (Now, if you could only Burpee on a balance board...)

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to try this ish.
    Wookin' pa waves...

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 09:48:40 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i have seen in one of the surf fitness videos a guy doing pop-ups onto an upside down bosu ball. i'm afraid to even attempt it.

Offline timdm3

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 15.0.1 Firefox 15.0.1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 09:24:13 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Bringing back an oldie, but I was reading this thread over before this past swell and it helped immensely.

I had the same problem of being too far forward on pop-ups with my back foot always landing in front of the pad - especially in mushier days when I feel like I inch my body up further on the board just to get into the wave.  I used to plant my hands further up on the board to pop-up (near my chest) kind of close to the rail.   I have been working on moving my hands lower on the board towards my waist to get my body further back (once again hands still close to the rail).  What I changed this past swell, was follow the advice of really arching my back before take-off and now I am placing my hands on top of the board, almost where my belly button would be before I start arching.  This has got my back foot on the pad, led to more consistent, accurate pop-ups and just a better day of overall surfing.

Thanks for all the tips everyone - I have been struggling with this one for a while

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.7.4 Mac OS X 10.7.4
    • Browser:
    • Safari 6.0 Safari 6.0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Bringing back an oldie, but I was reading this thread over before this past swell and it helped immensely.

I had the same problem of being too far forward on pop-ups with my back foot always landing in front of the pad - especially in mushier days when I feel like I inch my body up further on the board just to get into the wave.  I used to plant my hands further up on the board to pop-up (near my chest) kind of close to the rail.   I have been working on moving my hands lower on the board towards my waist to get my body further back (once again hands still close to the rail).  What I changed this past swell, was follow the advice of really arching my back before take-off and now I am placing my hands on top of the board, almost where my belly button would be before I start arching.  This has got my back foot on the pad, led to more consistent, accurate pop-ups and just a better day of overall surfing.

Thanks for all the tips everyone - I have been struggling with this one for a while

Glad this thread helped!  ;D
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline iagainsti

• Liked: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 04:39:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  •  I got so out of shape the past 2 years, I know I need to get my pop ups quicker. Started doing them at home at night in hopes to get mine quicker again like someone else said in the thread. Hoping that helps a lot.
    My question is- Does anyone else have to grab their rails out of necessity? I know pushing off your hands is better, but I had wrist surgery a couple years ago and my left wrist can only bend back a little, way way less than my right wrist, so grabbing the rails feels more comfortable to me, being that I can shift my hands back further when grabbing the rails. So basically, does anyone else have to grab their rails because of injury etc?

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 57
    • Soft hated: 4
    • Mac OS X 10.12.6 Mac OS X 10.12.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 10.1.2 Safari 10.1.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have no flexibility in my wrists. I find it hard to get enough lift from the rails so I use my fists on the deck. Fine in the winter with gloves but sometimes get bruised knuckles in the summer. Seems crazy but my body seems to have adapted to the fist pop up and my shortboarding has improved.
    "Take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they are gone"