Author Topic: Surfing 101: Improving your cutback (Vid - click to view)  (Read 1250 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.0.5 Safari 6.0.5
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Surfing 101: Improving your cutback (Vid - click to view)
« on: December 19, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I am so often SO guilty of the mistakes highlighted in this well done short vid:

Improve your Cutbacks. www.surftechniques.com. 110% Surfing Techniques
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Smiley's people

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 109
    • Soft hated: 9
    • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 31.0.1650.63 Chrome 31.0.1650.63
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Surfing 101: Improving your cutback (Vid - click to view)
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Back foot back. I have a tendency to have my back foot a little forward., if I shift it back before the turn everything usually clicks, foot too far forward though and I bog. my 2 cents.
    ‘closed mouth don’t catch any foot.’

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Back foot back. I have a tendency to have my back foot a little forward., if I shift it back before the turn everything usually clicks, foot too far forward though and I bog. my 2 cents.

Totally agree.

It's all a function of the wave to me - scratching into junk or fast-make-the-drop-barrel-and-out, I tend to be up off the tailpad (Of course the ratio of the former to the latter is about 500 to 1 around here for me  ::) ) - Decent chest to slightly overhead punchy stuff or anything that runs down the beach nicely, if I don't get back on the tailpad, I'm cursing myself - which also happens a bit too often.

I think the best thing about where I am now as a surfer is that I understand what I'm supposed to be doing. I can't do it all that often or all that consistently, but just knowing keeps me motivated to keep trying to improve.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline OldSoul

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 43
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 26.0 Firefox 26.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Nice video, Im trying to land more turns and usually end up with the mushy mistake "cutback" shown rather then the nice fluid correct one.  >:(

Offline thanks_table

• Liked: 4
    • Mac OS X 10.9 Mac OS X 10.9
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 25.0 Firefox 25.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 09:13:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Great reference video. Cutbacks are one of those tricks you never stop improving.., or else you're probably not doing them too smooth.

Doing a nice shallow turn as a set-up is important for gathering enough speed, but I've found personally that "leaning into the rail for longer" is the main thing that helps regardless of how far up or back your backfoot is... However, what isn't mentioned is that when you're cutting back from your frontside, the way you lean into that heelside rail requires more delicate footwork than other surfing maneuvers.

A lot of people lift their toes up on their front foot to lean into their heel, but I've had more success by folding my foot over slightly to apply more controlled pressure into the rail. Almost like your pressing into someone's face with the back of your hand. Also, if I feel like I'm not transferring the weight fast enough, I pull up on the rail manually and whip into the cut. Works like a charm for a regular cutty, but throws you off a bit if you're trying to finish off with a roundhouse foam climb.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:31:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Great reference video. Cutbacks are one of those tricks you never stop improving.., or else you're probably not doing them too smooth.

Doing a nice shallow turn as a set-up is important for gathering enough speed, but I've found personally that "leaning into the rail for longer" is the main thing that helps regardless of how far up or back your backfoot is... However, what isn't mentioned is that when you're cutting back from your frontside, the way you lean into that heelside rail requires more delicate footwork than other surfing maneuvers.

A lot of people lift their toes up on their front foot to lean into their heel, but I've had more success by folding my foot over slightly to apply more controlled pressure into the rail. Almost like your pressing into someone's face with the back of your hand. Also, if I feel like I'm not transferring the weight fast enough, I pull up on the rail manually and whip into the cut. Works like a charm for a regular cutty, but throws you off a bit if you're trying to finish off with a roundhouse foam climb.

Sigh.

And for a fraction of a moment, I had deluded myself into believing I knew what I was doing...or at least what I was attempting to do.

Thanks for the lesson, T-Table. I'll keep your words in mind next time I'm out there.

Offline thanks_table

• Liked: 4
    • Mac OS X 10.9 Mac OS X 10.9
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 25.0 Firefox 25.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 12:06:56 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ha! Sorry, didn't mean to lecture! I just wanted to toss out a couple of my observations about cutbacks. Lord knows I've screwed up plenty of 'em.

Having your back foot farther back without question makes it easier to pivot your surfboard, but I think using that kind of leverage is more useful for throwing nice hacks. For a cutback, I think things go better if you focus more on easing into your rail to create a smooth line.

Sigh.

And for a fraction of a moment, I had deluded myself into believing I knew what I was doing...or at least what I was attempting to do.

Thanks for the lesson, T-Table. I'll keep your words in mind next time I'm out there.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 08:08:13 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ha! Sorry, didn't mean to lecture! I just wanted to toss out a couple of my observations about cutbacks. Lord knows I've screwed up plenty of 'em.

Having your back foot farther back without question makes it easier to pivot your surfboard, but I think using that kind of leverage is more useful for throwing nice hacks. For a cutback, I think things go better if you focus more on easing into your rail to create a smooth line.

Sigh.

No worries, T-Table - one of the things I love most about surfing is the endless learning curve - you gave me a bunch more to think about!

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 26.0 Firefox 26.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 09:18:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Rotation rotation rotation.....
    this is like follow through in bowling, golf, baseball.....

It's no better to be safe than sorry....