Author Topic: so who can teach me how to duck dive in 24 hours?  (Read 4309 times)

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 30
  • Soft hated: 0
  • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
    • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
    • View Profile
    • ABTS Living
    • Email
Re: so who can teach me how to duck dive in 24 hours?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 04:36:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ducking diving is for _ussies, take on the chin like a man!

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 04:46:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  •  Here's how the lesson will go... Duck dive a wave or I hit you with a bat in the calves.    The second wave you screw up the duck dive on I hit you with a bat on the back of the Thigh...

Do ya see where this is going...
    Foamies are the new black

Offline srilanka

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 05:02:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ok so i took my 7"2" out on sunday and got completely worked.  most of the problems came because i was holding on to my board and not swimming under the waves, but i'm a glutton for punishment i imagine.

i got the board down, but not really sure what to do with my legs, i hear a lot of talk about kicking, but when i look at people doing it, it seems that they are rasing one leg to get leverage.  where is the "kick" happening?

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 05:32:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • nose is in deep, one foot on tail, other leg up high, dig, dig, dig some more, nose starts to raise, pull board toward you or body toward board, let go of foot on tail, kick both feet until you reach the surface. I like it when my chest comes up toward the middle of the board, you will feel like you got flushed forward.

or be a man and take it on the chin

Offline Sandshark

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 05:40:21 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • this is coming from a man who has a squirrel as his avatar. 

love you, honey.

WickedQuiver

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 05:43:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
    Bull your neck like Bo Jackson running over Brian Bosworth.

lol classic
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 05:45:04 PM by WickedQuiver »

Offline Homeslice

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 05:52:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ducking diving is for _ussies, take on the chin like a man!
    Took some on the chin last sunday - whether I wanted to be a man or not.  ended up feeling like a little girl.  ::)

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 06:11:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • maybe i wont need to duckdive tomorrow.

Offline waterwolfnyc

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 5
    • There was madness in any direction, at any hour.
      • MSN Messenger - waterwolfnyc@hotmail.com
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 07:37:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • if any fools are waiting for the wave to come to you (and no wukkas--it is gonna come to you whether you are ready or not) instead of moving towards it, using your arms to generate momentum (a technique known as paddling),  you best check your entire surf technique

Paddling doesn't just help , its a key aspect to successful duck dives, especially on a bigger day. 
    "If a man could pass through Paradise in a dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his soul had really been there, and if he found that flower in his hand when he awake - Aye, what then?" - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 08:49:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • if any fools are waiting for the wave to come to you (and no wukkas--it is gonna come to you whether you are ready or not) instead of moving towards it, using your arms to generate momentum (a technique known as paddling),  you best check your entire surf technique

Paddling doesn't just help , its a key aspect to successful duck dives, especially on a bigger day. 

Word

I actually find a bit of solitude in looking at the lower third of the un broken wave or the little bit of transition of the broken wave as it comes towards me. Just taking a second before the fraight train hits you to look at it for what it is.   Like in mountain climbing, but backwards... Don't look up! Look at the place in the wave you are going thru.   You are alowed to look at oncoming surfers to see what they got, or into the giant mackin tube..
    Foamies are the new black

happy

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 08:55:03 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • trying to duckdive from a semi-standstill doesn't work. you might as well turtle roll at that point cuz you're just going to get worked. when i'm trying to duck dive my 6'8" i fight my tendency to stop paddling too soon b/c i am worried about getting the nose down, etc. but then i have not momentum so i'm fucked.

BUT as i have been schooled, a good duck dive is like a good wave. especially when you make it under a real macker and pop out the other side.

the kick is happening on the tail. you are kicking it down, making the board follow the direction in which you have pushed the nose. deep baby deep. coming up is the easy part, that'll happen, usually too soon and then WHAM!

Offline rock_star

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 12, 2005, 10:37:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm sure this is probably not the right way to go;
    epecially if there is a surfer catching a wave near
    you and might cross your path; but I sometimes
    roll onto my back with the board on top and
    hold down the nose and kick my butt through the
    wave. I only use it as a last resort but have not
    tried this in big waves.  ::)

Offline rock_star

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 10:54:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I checked this book I got from surfing fundamentals
    by Nat Young and it says:

"...stay clear of the impact zone. If you happen to be confronted with the lip while paddling out, either paddle faster to break through the wall or wave's face before it breaks or hand back and let the wave break a safe distance ahead of youl It's a matter of using good judgement, but if you can't avoid the lip then slide offf your board as smoothly and quickly as possible and dive deep. Open your eyes underwater and when you can see that the turbulence has passed, swim to the surface, look out for the next wave and start swimming to shore."

I don't agree with the last sentence. I feel you should maybe hold back until the "set" of big waves goes through and then make your approach again. Timing is everything -- or so I've been told - being a newbie and all.  ;D

Offline rock_star

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 12, 2005, 11:22:03 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I checked this book I got from surfing fundamentals
    by Nat Young and it says:

"...stay clear of the impact zone. If you happen to be confronted with the lip while paddling out, either paddle faster to break through the wall or wave's face before it breaks or hand back and let the wave break a safe distance ahead of youl It's a matter of using good judgement, but if you can't avoid the lip then slide offf your board as smoothly and quickly as possible and dive deep. Open your eyes underwater and when you can see that the turbulence has passed, swim to the surface, look out for the next wave and start swimming to shore."

I don't agree with the last sentence. I feel you should maybe hold back until the "set" of big waves goes through and then make your approach again. Timing is everything -- or so I've been told - being a newbie and all.  ;D

Opps, typo...

either paddle faster to break through the wall or wave's face before it breaks or hang back and let the wave break a safe distance ahead of you..." -- typo's -- opps...need spell check!  ::)

happy

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2005, 08:10:20 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • HOLD ON TO YOUR BOARD!
    if you cannot duckdive then turtle roll. that sort of sounds like what you described.
    if i am in the wash and a wave breaks, i hold onto the leash at the base and duck backwards under the oncoming wave. by holding the leash right where it attaches to the board i am pulling the board under the water with me. if you let your board go and dive under a wave you are creating a danger for others. AND that free floating board will be a surface for the wave to push against, pulling you backward.
    i think it is not so good to grab the leash the way i described but i don't have a tailpad, i ripped it off cuz it was driving me nuts. but it was so good for grabbing the tail to pull the board with me.