Author Topic: pushing down on the nose?  (Read 575 times)

Offline cesto

• Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 8
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • We Buy Houses New Jersey
    • Email
pushing down on the nose?
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:03:14 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • hey guys...last swell i was out with my little brother.  we got plenty of waves that day and had a lot of fun.  i did notice that a few times he was able to get a few ways w/out padding a few extra strokes, while i was paddling like crazy.

he mentioned that he pushes down on the nose and it seems to coast him into the wave.  perhaps he was just at a better position on the wave..however, when i tried this..it seemed to have good results.  i'm just curious if this is something anyone else does?

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 23
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    Re: pushing down on the nose?
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • definitely.  i occassional "seal-walk" myself forward as i feel the wave.

Offline cesto

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 8
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • We Buy Houses New Jersey
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:56:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • how bout that..my little punk ass brother taught me something.  guess i'll have to "one up" him this weekend  ;D

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 01:22:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Just beware of the double-edged sword - invariably if you "seal walk" forward to grovel your way into a wave, you're likely going to pop up further forward than you normally would.

Here's how this is (at least potentially) problematic for most of us novice to intermediate surfers: If you are someone who tends to pop up more front-footed naturally (as so many of us do), you may find yourself burying the nose (obviously not good), and at the very least, taking critical pressure off the back of the board where the power of the wave is - and where you want more of your weight, at least initially, for purposes of capitalizing on whatever power the wave has - and of course, for drive.

In larger waves, popping up a little further forward usually isnt much of a problem (and is even at times desirable - check photos of where the pros are on some of the most famous barrel-ride shots, you'll see what I mean), but in small, grovelly-type waves where you need to cheat forward just to make the wave, you run the risk of giving away even more of whatever little power the wave has. Like I said - double edged sword.

The solution? When grovelling to get into a waves, cheat forward when you have to, but be conscious on your pop-up and to (the extent you can) land back on the board, and relatively back footed - again, if you can.

(I clearly think too much about this stuff LOL)
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]