Author Topic: Ocean confidence  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Andra2000

• Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 1
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 7.0.1 Firefox 7.0.1
    • View Profile
Ocean confidence
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:31:57 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If im not comfortable out in the ocean, should I really continue to surf? I have to really push myself to go out everytime its 3 ft or over, but sit out there on my board feeling pretty bad anxiety, which usually settles a bit once i take a beating and paddle back out. But a lot of the time, I'll find i'm tentative about going out. I want to surf until I get to the surf and then I begin to doubt it, is this normal? I skateboarded for 10+ years and really want to surf, I really enjoy actually being up on my board riding, its just the ocean and its unpredicatable nature and the force of it that sorta freaks me out, I guess I feel im out of control and do get into mild panic at times which feels incredibly dangerous when I'm out the back and the sets begin to build and roll in. I'd appreciate anyone's input here, my confidence doesnt seem to have grown that much in the two years ive been surfing, it's still a struggle for me and I have a lot of fear attached to going into the ocean..
    « Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:30:15 AM by SeaCliff »

braden

Re: Ocean confidence
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:50:11 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • my .02 cents (which carry very little experience):

if you're considering giving up, because of the anxiety, then perhaps you should stay on the beach on days where the surf puts you into that "anxiety mode"

on small, gentle days- you should not have that anxiety, if you still do, then you may want to find another pastime.

can you swim? meaning: are you a "strong swimmer" or martin short?

if you are not a strong swimmer then you should not be out there period- when your leash breaks and you're out 100 yards, and the current is ripping,... you should be as comfortable in the ocean without your board as you are with it

Online Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 285
    • Soft hated: 24
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 06:55:12 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I smell a troll post but honestly anyone who takes up surfing that isn't a strong swimmer is akin to taking up marathon running but isn't a strong walker . Honestly

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.7.4 Mac OS X 10.7.4
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 21.0.1180.82 Chrome 21.0.1180.82
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:49:50 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I smell a troll post

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Notice that I modified the post - removing some silly image links our friend Andra added at the end.

Why did I leave it and not just delete the whole thing? Well, for a troll, at least it was on topic and in the proper room, and showed at least an effort. That, and with the tremendous amount of newbs in the water these past couple of years (more this year than ever, it seems!), this post may actually help someone.

How? Simple: There's nothing wrong with trying surfing on for size - but if it's not for you, that's fine - no harm or shame in trying, and certainly no harm or shame in telling people, "Yeah, I tried surfing for a while, it just wasn't for me - I never really got comfortable in the ocean, esp when the bigger surf hit."
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

braden

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I smell a troll post but honestly anyone who takes up surfing that isn't a strong swimmer is akin to taking up marathon running but isn't a strong walker . Honestly

then I've seen plenty of weak walkers

Offline theusername

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 0
    • green sticks
    • Mac OS X 10.8 Mac OS X 10.8
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 15.0 Firefox 15.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
    then I've seen plenty of weak walkers

Seriously. I just can't understand people who take up surfing but remain poor swimmers.
    "New York, is it true that great cold
    makes the bones ache as if broken?" - Suzanne Lummis

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:35:32 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • hahaha. i called troll on Andra's last post.

i've actually met someone who was a self-described terrible swimmer and hell bent on learning to surf. completely crazy. what also pisses me off are the paddle board outfits that tell people that you don't really have to know how to swim to go paddleboarding. i just think that's a stupid liability to take on. i also don't get some of our neighbors who also don't know how to swim and will wade out up to their waists in the ocean. i wouldn't put a toe in the water if i didn't know how to swim. tourists used to get swallowed by the ocean every year where i grew up, where the ocean is a lot more menacing than here, but still, how crazy to even wade around in the water when you don't know how to swim. also crazy to be out surfing on a day you wouldn't feel comfortable swimming around.

complete thread hijack, but did anyone see the article in surfer (or surfing... one of the mags) about the woman with MS who body surfs mavs and ocean beach at TOH? rad.

Offline Gregg A.

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 38
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Mac OS X 10.8.1 Mac OS X 10.8.1
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 20.0.1132.57 Chrome 20.0.1132.57
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I like to stand in the water holding my board, wait till the wave comes and hop on. It's SO much easier than paddling.

:o

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 14.0.1 Firefox 14.0.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• complete thread hijack, but did anyone see the article in surfer (or surfing... one of the mags) about the woman with MS who body surfs mavs and ocean beach at TOH? rad.

Yes. Amazing. The entire issue was really good, but her story just put's into perspective what most of us are doing out there. It's hard to even think of charging pros in the same way after reading that.

Offline theusername

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • green sticks
    • Mac OS X 10.8 Mac OS X 10.8
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 15.0 Firefox 15.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• complete thread hijack, but did anyone see the article in surfer (or surfing... one of the mags) about the woman with MS who body surfs mavs and ocean beach at TOH? rad.

Yes. Amazing. The entire issue was really good, but her story just put's into perspective what most of us are doing out there. It's hard to even think of charging pros in the same way after reading that.

I don't really read surf magazines, but if you remember which issue you saw it in I'd like to read the article.
    "New York, is it true that great cold
    makes the bones ache as if broken?" - Suzanne Lummis

Offline money4coffeeman

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 124
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 9.0 MS Internet Explorer 9.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 02:25:25 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If im not comfortable out in the ocean, should I really continue to surf? I have to really push myself to go out everytime its 3 ft or over, but sit out there on my board feeling pretty bad anxiety, which usually settles a bit once i take a beating and paddle back out. But a lot of the time, I'll find i'm tentative about going out. I want to surf until I get to the surf and then I begin to doubt it, is this normal? I skateboarded for 10+ years and really want to surf, I really enjoy actually being up on my board riding, its just the ocean and its unpredicatable nature and the force of it that sorta freaks me out, I guess I feel im out of control and do get into mild panic at times which feels incredibly dangerous when I'm out the back and the sets begin to build and roll in. I'd appreciate anyone's input here, my confidence doesnt seem to have grown that much in the two years ive been surfing, it's still a struggle for me and I have a lot of fear attached to going into the ocean..

An exhaustive cross training regimen is key:

Offline jeanjacket

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 7
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.7.4 Mac OS X 10.7.4
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 21.0.1180.82 Chrome 21.0.1180.82
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 09:04:53 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Her name is Judith and she comes from an incredible family of swimmers. She didnt try to catch waves at mavs, but she swam out when it was going. Look for her yellow swim cap. She rips at OB. like seriously.