Author Topic: leash tangles  (Read 834 times)

braden

leash tangles
« on: September 25, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I recently starting riding a short board and I've noticed that a lot of times after popping up my leash is often tangled under my front foot (I ride regular foot)- not every time- but enough to be really annoying.  This means if I want to reposition my front foot when up and riding (and by riding I really mean flailing and mostly falling ;) ) the leash is sometimes between my toes on my left foot (leading foot)- or underfoot enough to be a distraction.

Is this common for short boards? Is the problem in my popup?- or just the length of the leash?- the board is 6'3" and the leash is 6'-
    Im guessing with more experience this will happen less and less- but I don't remember this happening when I started on a longboard

Any suggestions are much appreciated

Thanks

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 71
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    Re: leash tangles
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • stretch out your leash to get out the tangles.....and don't wrap your leash around your board when you are done, as the leash has a memory.   Also, some leashes are more tangly than others......I have this issue from time to time with new leashes.....

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ehh..it's going to happen sometimes. One thing I do that you might try: When you're in the lineup, occasionally check your lease, make sure it's free and clear of any tangles - might save you some trouble once in a while.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

braden

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sorry- I dont think I was too clear with the heading of my post-

the leash is not tangling because of it staying wrapped around the board when not it use, and its not tangling up in the water....

its when I pop up I seem to throw it in front of my leading foot- and so when I up and riding I find that Im standing on it or it might be wrapped around my leading foot

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sorry- I dont think I was too clear with the heading of my post-

the leash is not tangling because of it staying wrapped around the board when not it use, and its not tangling up in the water....

its when I pop up I seem to throw it in front of my leading foot- and so when I up and riding I find that Im standing on it or it might be wrapped around my leading foot

Hmmm.....must be something in your pop up....

Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 23
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • make sure the cuff is rotated so that the leach comes out pointing in a good direction (for you).  for me this means back and to the outside of my ankle, but maybe something will work better for you.

braden

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks LN-

towards the back and outside of my ankle is where I put it too.  What might also be the problem is that I cannot seem to get the cuff tight enough to keep it from rotating around on my ankle and it may just be rotating towards the front on its own- and then throwing the leash in my way when I pop up.

As well- part of the issue might just be having a lot less board underneath me and a matter of experience and feel

I was riding this board for both a morning and early afternoon session yesterday- and stepping on my leash was not a problem during the afternoon.

Offline jscottk

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 132
    • Soft hated: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 04:46:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • as an excuse to go shop..

My wife has one of those leashes with the small yellow type rubber washer on it, and loves it.
    Very few tangles ever..

http://www.air-head.com/2009/06/tangle-free-leash-from-surf-more-xm/
    ..Whore it to death then sell the corpse on Craigslist... (used to be Ebay but eff Ebay and Paypal)

Offline LBsurfNY

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 08:20:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • as an excuse to go shop..

My wife has one of those leashes with the small yellow type rubber washer on it, and loves it.
    Very few tangles ever..

http://www.air-head.com/2009/06/tangle-free-leash-from-surf-more-xm/

I second that my friend has one and it works great I'll prob pick one up myself soon

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 01:07:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ha - just master the 'donkey stomp.'  I feel like I'm doing it all the time (really quick backward kick with your front foot to de-lodge the leash from between your first & second toes).  Happens to me too.  Also note if the leash is 'drifting' under water and be sure you're spinning away from it when you turn to go (prob doesn't make sense in words, but take a look next time you're waiting for a wave - esp if there's current or anything).  Also why I don't like split toe boots - they seem like an invitation to the leash when your feet are blocks of ice.
    the A is a small price to pay

braden

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks for the advice jscottk-

and ankleslapper- thanks too- its nice to hear you've had the same experience and thanks for the tip on fixing it (the "donkey stomp")... and turning away from a drifting leash makes sense,... I've tried that before and it definitely seems to help

Offline Smiley's people

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 109
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 04:15:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • one of my 'get ready a wave is coming' habits is to adjust the ankle strap on my leash so its pointing away from my ankle. Seems like the times I get tangled up it has something to do with the leash pointing inward, or forward. Takes a half second to do.
    ‘closed mouth don’t catch any foot.’

braden

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • thanks Fynn- I'll be making that a habit