Author Topic: Kook Forecasting question  (Read 452 times)

Offline Frisch

• Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kook Forecasting question
« on: October 01, 2010, 07:08:32 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • How much swell actually makes it to westend NY beaches as forecasted by places like magicseeweed?  My goal for the year is to get firmly in the intermediate zone, and I want to get out as much as I can, but I feel way undergunned on my fish.  I can make the paddle out, paddling I'm great at, but my legs are sticks and my back is balky, so balance is always the issue.  This whole next week looks to be pretty big, so am I just sidelined till smaller surf?

And don't worry, as kooky as I sound, I generally paddle for scrap peaks by myself while I'm getting used to NY waters. 

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    Re: Kook Forecasting question
    « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • How much swell actually makes it to westend NY beaches as forecasted by places like magicseeweed?  My goal for the year is to get firmly in the intermediate zone, and I want to get out as much as I can, but I feel way undergunned on my fish.  I can make the paddle out, paddling I'm great at, but my legs are sticks and my back is balky, so balance is always the issue.  This whole next week looks to be pretty big, so am I just sidelined till smaller surf?

And don't worry, as kooky as I sound, I generally paddle for scrap peaks by myself while I'm getting used to NY waters.

I don't really rely much on magicseaweed, although I know some people do. For me, it's easy enough to look at the buoys.

Without getting too technical - if you're trying to determine how conditions are western LI is at any given time, look at the swell height readings for NOAA buoys 44025 (20nm S of Islip) and 44065 (NY Harbor). Remember that swell direction plays into it (S or SE are obviously desireable), and that the longer the period, in general terms, the better. Factor in wind direction, and with even a little bit of experience, you'll be able to get a handle on it pretty quick.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]