Author Topic: Kiss my Backside  (Read 2071 times)

Offline sir_schadenfreude

• Local Access
  • Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Have you seen him?
    • View Profile
Kiss my Backside
« on: September 05, 2005, 08:27:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • OK here's another technique thread:  backhand surfing...

I'm a goofy, and everywhere I've ever lived has been mostly a lefthand wave.  As a result, my forehand is a lot stronger than my backhand.  Mostly, I just can't get and maintain as much speed going right as I can going left.  What are the elements of a strong backside wave?

Offline surfdawg

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 27
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    Re: Kiss my Backside
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 08:44:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I find that my stance is a bit wider and I push on the front foot more when pumping down the line for speed. The backhand snap is great when you have enough momentum.

Backside late drops are scarier too! :o

Offline SpongeBob

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 09:03:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Same problem (rarely find many good rights at LB) -- additional question...  How often do you find yourself grabbing the rail when going backside? 

ya_bloody_wanka

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 09:28:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i love taking steep drops backside and grabbing the rail leaning into it and pulling in.

happy

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 09:56:11 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i always grab my rail. i'm trying to break this habit. any thoughts?

Offline SURF NY 1

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 4
      • View Profile
      • SURFBANG
    « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 09:57:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • just commit to not grabbing your rail

happy

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 10:32:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • that's what i've been doing. retardedly. i was hoping for something more yoda like.
    "commit to grabbing your rail not"

Offline Some people call me Maurice

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
      • AOL Instant Messenger - LIsurf615
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 10:56:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • grab the rail u shall not, a hard habit to break it is, fall many times u will but worth it it will be

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This from Surfline's "Who Knows?" is pretty good.
    The last part helped me improve my backside bottom turn.

Any good tips for improving backside skills? My back facing the wave is not as good compared to the front of me facing the wave. Any tips are much appreciated.
    asked by Roger Risley

Surfline's reseident technique expert Nick Carroll replies:

Cripes, we could write a book. But you don't want a book, not just yet. Here's a good tip or two.

One secret to successful backside surfing is contained in your request. Indeed, your back facing the wave is not as good as your front. So how about you find a way to get your front around a bit more when riding backside?

Opening your shoulders to the wave, and thus giving yourself way more options, is a classic modern backside surfing trick. Most high level surfers manage it by simply rotating their feet toward the inside rail, so those feet are set closer to parallel to the stringer and rail lines. This allows them to turn their upper bodies wide open to the approaching section of wave, almost (but not quite) turning backside into frontside.

You can try this at home, quickly and easily. Find yourself a straight line -- maybe a piece of decking, or a groove between two slabs of concrete. Stand so your feet are at right angles to this line, then turn your upper body to sight down the line -- just as if it were a wave base. Now stand so that your feet are at 45 degrees to the line, toes facing forward, and turn your upper body again. See? Way easier, hey?

The increased vision and weighting abilities produced by backside foot rotation will have an instant effect on your surfing.

A second secret quickly follows this incredible foot rotation revelation. Here it is: In any heel based turn (the backside bottom turn, for instance), always LIFT the front shoulder and arm open to the turn. Many surfers tend to "fall" into the backside bottom turn, dropping their shoulder and leading arm into the wave face and trying in effect to pivot around the arm. Unless you're a really really good surfer who's figured out how to do this while keeping his or her weight off the front rail, you're gonna bog this turn.

If instead you lift and open that leading arm to the turn, you'll keep the front rail out, you'll turn up the wave face with way less effort, and you'll get a better view of the approaching section and/or lip.

WK reckons if you put these two simple technical skills into practice, you'll have enough happening backside to keep you busy for a long time to come.

It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline sir_schadenfreude

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 01:54:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Now that's what I'm talking about!

happy

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • grab the rail u shall not, a hard habit to break it is, fall many times u will but worth it it will be

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    awesome

and great post looseness. thx.

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 02:50:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • My backside abilities were meager untill I moved here. I'm regular foot and now after the while it's been, I got a good technique.

So I guess what I have to say is, move to Rincon (Ca or PR). Then you're kinda stuck going backside noe aren't ch ;)

But in biger late drops going backside, I try to take off sideways, grab the rail and drag my but if I have too. The but draggers are usually when I'm hanging off the back of the board.   

Another side of surfing a backside wave almost exclusivly, my frontside attack has atrophyed a bit ???

Move to Malibu, then ya can Bitch about crowds Hhahahaha
    Foamies are the new black