Author Topic: How far can I push my board...  (Read 971 times)

Offline rgrell

• Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
How far can I push my board...
« on: August 11, 2010, 12:55:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey all
    I have a retro style dual keel fin 5'11'' exotic fish.  I was just wondering how heavy of a surf I'd be able to paddle out on this guy with.  All help appreciated :]
    Cheers
    Rob

Offline LBSurfer21

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 1
      • AOL Instant Messenger - Footers4
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: How far can I push my board...
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Depends on your skill set. I have paddled my 5'4 twin keel retro fish into knee high surf all the way up to 6ft surf. For me anything bigger then 6ft I switch to the short board because the fish is hard to duck dive.  I have seen some of the guys here surf their fish in some bigger head high stuff as well.
    « Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:07:02 PM by LBSurfer21 »

Offline rgrell

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Depends on your skill set. I have paddled my 5'4 twin keel retro fish into knee high surf all the way up to 6ft surf. For me anything bigger then 6ft I switch to the short board because the fish is hard to duck dive.  I have seen some of the guys here surf their fish in some bigger head high stuff as well.

Thank you!
    For some larger surf, what would be a good size board for me? I am 5'8" 185lbs.
    Cheers
    Rob
    Cheers to the world, beers for the world.

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • did you make a little wave design with your wax towards the rails of the board, or are my eyes playing tricks?

Offline LBSurfer21

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 1
      • AOL Instant Messenger - Footers4
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Thank you!
    Cheers
    Rob

Try rideing one board and getting used to that before switching it up. I rode my fish for 2 years before going to a more performance oriented board. But then again I don't know where your surfing is at as of right now.

LOL snaggle looks the same way to me. Looks like he waxed the rails but not the middle of the board where he needs it the most.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 8
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • did you make a little wave design with your wax towards the rails of the board, or are my eyes playing tricks?

That is where you put the wax right? So you can really set the rail?

BTW...rgrell, I could not ride your board in 2' waves. I am guessing the size and type of board really depends on your skill level. I am sure you could find examples of every size board being ridden in every size wave. Just depends on you skill level. For me, I stick to the log/funboard.

If you give a little info on your surfing style and background, you will get more advice.

-UB
    « Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:44:32 PM by Uncle Buck »
    "You can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf" - Zinn, Jon Kabat

"My life is like a stroll on the beach...as near to the edge as I can go." - Thoreau

Offline rgrell

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:41:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
    HAHA yea I used colored sticky bumps to wax the rails, then used a plain bar to hit the rest.  So yea...your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, and I'm not that much of a kook that I would only wax the rails..:P

Online Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 283
    • Soft hated: 24
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 02:09:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ive ridden a fish in OH waves just takes a diiferent approach . You must be concious of leaning the board over and using the whole rail . If you try and turn off you back foot /the fins or only the inside cor ner of your rail off the back foot your chances of spinning out are great . Backside is a little trickier and you either have to shove the rail in the face of the wave and angle takeoff or if you are like Neal PUrchase junior or Richard Kenvin and can really lay it over on rail backhand .

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
    HAHA yea I used colored sticky bumps to wax the rails, then used a plain bar to hit the rest.  So yea...your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, and I'm not that much of a kook that I would only wax the rails.. :P

i knew i saw waves!

Offline rgrell

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Thank you!
    Cheers
    Rob

Try rideing one board and getting used to that before switching it up. I rode my fish for 2 years before going to a more performance oriented board. But then again I don't know where your surfing is at as of right now.

LOL snaggle looks the same way to me. Looks like he waxed the rails but not the middle of the board where he needs it the most.
    LOL thanks for the advise.  The first year I started surfing I was riding a handmedown 7'0'' phoenix single fin that had dings holding it together with duct tape..I just beat that board to hell till I got my fish, which is now going on 3 years old.  I wanted to just make sure that it wouldn't snap in head high, which I have surfed before, just with a friends board.

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • There's no guarantee you won't snap it in head plus surf. But if you get fun rides in fun surf then You Win!!

I say Go for it and you will find your answer.

Otherwise, in the for sale room, a guy is selling a 6'4" Quiet Flight. That'd be a good step up.

Good Luck.
    Foamies are the new black