Author Topic: Fishing for a Rip  (Read 398 times)

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 1
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fishing for a Rip
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:43:12 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Does this make sense to anyone or did I just get lucky.

I went to a feturless breack today with nothing but a sand bar 30 yards out as far as the eye could see. I got rejected and puhed back to the foam line twice today. So I decided to sit and let the current bring me down the beach hoping to find a rip to help pull me out. I eventually found one and got out with no problem.

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 72
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    Re: Fishing for a Rip
    « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sometimes a nice runout can pull you out, but they also make the waves break farther out. So you get pummelled later with an easier paddle out.  You probably got lucky.....

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:07:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • One of the things I like to do is every once in a while walk or bike the beach.  I notice sandbars built up or moved, the way the beach is high or low in certain area and if the tide is going in or out where is the natural current/channel occuring.  Seacliff can attest to the fact that over the years I have gotten pretty astute to what the breaks are going to do and based on swell size tide and moonphase there is deffinetly a good and bad place to paddle out.  Otherwise you just gotta hope to luck out.
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i do this alll the time.  I just kinda muddle around in the wash drifting down the beach until i hit a rip and then whoosh i'm out in a flash.  It all gets back to not fighting mother ocean.  She'll let you out when she wants you.  Flowers or small sacrifice sometimes helps.

Relatedly, a lot of times when i paddle out in next-to-jetty rips, i just kinda futz around in like neck deep water just enough to keep clear of the rocks or getting sucked into the danger zone and then just wait for a big flush.  If you are observant you can get in tune with the rip - it's just like the ocean is breathing in and out.  It's a rhythm and you just have to time it to her exhale.  There are times when i have barely had to stroke a couple times to get out even on an overhead day (or should i say especially on an overhead day).

You can love her or you can fight her and force your way through her.  But why?
    « Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:10:48 PM by little_nasty »

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 72
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • so true LN........sometimes you just need to wait out 3 or 4 sets to make sure you've got the timing right......why waste all your energy on the padle out?  We've got some really strong runouts here, so why not use them?