Author Topic: Bodyboarding Tips  (Read 139 times)

Offline Igotsoul4u

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 7
  • Soft hated: 1
  • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90 Chrome 60.0.3112.90
    • View Profile
Bodyboarding Tips
« on: August 10, 2017, 11:39:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I know we have some serious bodyboarders lurking around.  I have been sponging a lot as my right shoulder has made surfing not so much fun.  I was wondering what kind of things I should not be doing.  I wonder about things like kicking while on the wave (more so in small surf.)  Another example is how I wasn't putting my hands in the right spots on the board.  Drop knee is another mystery.  What are some other things that you see that make you think "that guy has no clue."   

Online RayG

• Hoon
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 186
    • Soft hated: 10
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 60.0.3112.90 Chrome 60.0.3112.90
      • View Profile
    Re: Bodyboarding Tips
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:27:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Well, first off, you earned a kudo for not calling it "boogie boarding". Once you are beyond the cloth covered "CVS Pro models" and move onto Slick bottoms and boards with a stringer (or 2), you can then be considered a "Body Boarder".

If you've been surfing for awhile, then you pretty much have all the wave knowledge you'll need. One MAJOR difference is the takeoff spot. You won't be able to sit out at the Ambrose Light and pick off the sets like you might have on your Plimmatron, that's for sure. Knowing the power spot towards the inside will get you into more waves with minimal effort. (Picture the old movies from Bruce Brown and the like- a quick turn, one paddle and up and riding. They didn't paddle for 30 yards trying to get into a wave).

If you want to "have a clue", don't go straight. Which I think is pretty obvious.
    Hand placement? Everyone is different- but in general, going left- left hand about 4-6 inches off left front corner. Right hand is back on the outside rail about where your waistband is on your boardies. This allows finer control for setting the inside edge(pull up to trim higher, ease off to slide down a bit).
    Going right would be the mirror image. You will find, just like standup, that you will have a preference for lefts or rights based on how coordinated you are. Nothing to do with being a goofy or regular foot. I am a regular foot when skating or surfing, but my body is better coordinated for going left(essentially, backside) on the BBoard.
    As for paddling back out? Using the fins correctly makes that easier as well. DON'T kick your feet and have them come out of the water. You waste a lot of energy and momentum. Keep your feet below the surface with a smooth strong motion- you make better progress.
    While I will paddle out into almost any size- there are limits when it's small. Mushburgers that need you to "assist" with kicking isn't worth it. Fins can be used as it gets bigger to hold the edge or to stall a bit without pulling back on the nose to slow down. IF you are into the spinny fiddly moves you need to release the fins from the water to allow that kind of stuff. I'm a bit past all of that with the aches, pains and bad back stuff, so i'm more into getting the tubes and "power carves" and such. Especially in grinding shorebreak... which doesn't always suit my aches and pains and bad back.

Bottom line? Don't worry about what others think. Show up, paddle out and drag your nuts like a big boy and have some fun.
    Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU