Author Topic: Anyone Ever Do This?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 204
  • Soft hated: 13
  • Are you down with the people?
    • View Profile
Anyone Ever Do This?
« on: May 11, 2006, 09:37:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sometimes my line is too big when dropping in and I end up stalled out on the flats with my board facing what still looks to be a fun wave, but zero momentum.

Any remedies for that situation? Happened to me three times this week.

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Anyone Ever Do This?
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:43:16 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You must benda the knees. I have the same problem and it is ushaully because I'm standing close to straight up.
    Trust in the board.

Offline ?

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 10:48:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Happens to me a lot.  Not sure what the cure is, except to take a higher line, maybe.

Offline DORA

• SFSC
    • Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 11:00:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Happens to me all the time.  Nice sick drop, lotsa speed..............then nothing. (except looking up at the lip about to crash on top of me and send me to the bottom in a particulary nasty way) Thats y I stopped shortboarding.    Remedy:  LONGBOARD ALL THE TIME.
    I'll bone her.  But I might have to break her jaw first.

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 11:18:22 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • When that happens to me (on the 6.0 bro) I move my feet up the board to avoid an unintenbtional stall, bend knees down into butt draggin position and do my best Morning of the Earth hand paddle move but I still sink.  Some waves just can't support a real bottom turn - some guys on thrusters are master pumpers but for me those waves are for really really late angled take-offs.

Offline sir_schadenfreude

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 11:33:12 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sam thing happens to me back-side a lot.  My friend suggested looking over my shoulder--down the line--at takeoff rather than over the nose.  This does seem to help set up better body position and a higher line from the start.  I also often end up planting my feet too far forward to crank the board around quick enough in the first bottom turn.  The traction pad helps a lot with finding the sweet spot, but it is still a point I need to work on.  I agree with the point of standing up too tall too.

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 12:45:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Cracky, are you going backside or frontside when this happens?
    Definitely happens to me more on my backside, sometimes I don't stall on the flats, I manage to get back up in the face do a weak turn and then as I am pointed down the wave I'm overtaken. When the waves are juicier, it happens a lot less.
    It's happened to me on my frontside when I was riding the wrong board {short and fat thruster} in some size {overhead and hollow}. I was worried about spinning out cuz it had already happened once that day.   
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 12:56:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If it's a backside issue as it is with me, I found this article really helpful.

http://surfline.com/community/whoknows/whoknows.cfm?id=1117
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 01:15:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Better backside control through foot rotation definately helps surf better backside including lowering your stance swinging your front knee forward while dropping your back knee to help rotate your hips to face forward (old Japanese martial arts concept that your center of power or hara was also your center of balance at three fingers (width) below your naval)  so looking where you go is a great start but hip rotation is also imprtant - however  the problem seemed to be nore wave positioning? -making a bigger/wider bottom turn than the wave had the juice for???  So hard to talk/type about surf technique without seeing the wave and the surfer's position on the wave.  Good advice though.

Offline waterwolfnyc

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 5
    • There was madness in any direction, at any hour.
      • MSN Messenger - waterwolfnyc@hotmail.com
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 02:21:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sam thing happens to me back-side a lot.  My friend suggested looking over my shoulder--down the line--at takeoff rather than over the nose.  This does seem to help set up better body position and a higher line from the start.  I also often end up planting my feet too far forward to crank the board around quick enough in the first bottom turn.  The traction pad helps a lot with finding the sweet spot, but it is still a point I need to work on.  I agree with the point of standing up too tall too.

It's as if he stole the words out of my mind and typed them for me. The thing is---I never think about where to put my back foot--if it gets on the traction pad great--if not--well, it don't. I have to think so hard about foot placement--when usually I'm just trying to concentrate on not dragging my knee up the deck on the pop up or not catching my foot--it's all about the pop-up I swear. A smooth quick pop up give you time to micro adjust during the drop and set up a bottom turn. Of course a late drop does not...and forces you into a much more angled take-off which I find myself experiencing often to not the best results--fixing that comes from board selection, paddling and positioning I think
    « Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:26:54 PM by waterwolfnyc »
    "If a man could pass through Paradise in a dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his soul had really been there, and if he found that flower in his hand when he awake - Aye, what then?" - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 204
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 03:46:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Frontside, and usually on a fish as a twin fin.
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 04:03:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sometimes my line is too big when dropping in and I end up stalled out on the flats with my board facing what still looks to be a fun wave, but zero momentum.

Any remedies for that situation? Happened to me three times this week.

i know exactly what you're talking about.  doesn't tend to happen to me when dropping in--more so when i throw one of those big roping cutbacks that has you turning back around at the bottom of the wave in the foam because you got careless with your line or you thought the wave wouldn't offer much more...if you don't carry enough energy you get kind of stranded there, which can be worrying, especially when there's a guillotine lip coming down.  what i do is try to throw my body weight up and get a little pump/snap to the midface and then press down again to get some momentum going.  or if the lip is there tuck under it and draw up your knees to compress and get a miniversion of that pump/snap going.  half the time you get enough speed back to give it another pump and get going again, half the time you're dead in the water.