Author Topic: Anyone cheat on pop-ups?  (Read 5816 times)

Psycho

Re: Anyone cheat on pop-ups?
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2005, 09:57:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i hate men.
    you are all retarded.

LOL!!!!!!!!! yes, I am retarded.

It does look fun out.

Offline veggielasagna

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: September 01, 2005, 10:02:01 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • good thread, I think this has got everyone thinking. last night we all took turns demonstrating our popup at the shark berries.
    I knew I would never be hard core. So I tried to be soft core. Instead, Iím just an apple core.

Offline B94

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #62 on: September 01, 2005, 11:36:53 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I will pay $20 an hour for someone to videotape me if you promise not to laugh or to tell what you saw.

Offline luke25

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: September 01, 2005, 06:33:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I paid attention today, and I think that if I'm actually catching the wave properly and timing my pop up right, then I just do it all in one really fast motion, even though when I drill at home I am conscious of putting my toes on the "tail" (really the floor) and then swinging my other foot up under my body.

By the way, yoga is indeed helpful for the strength and stamina part of surfing, especially duck diving and popping up.
    Re: B94's question about being in shape, popping up is different muscles from swimming, more push up muscles.  but I really think it's just a practice and technique thing.  it also seems a little different depending on how the wave is breaking....

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #64 on: September 01, 2005, 10:04:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • RonRedBoard aka SUNSHINE girlfriends will be videoing people for a small fee soon. The only bad part about is that you will be on the same video with RobRedDoor who will be blasting airs on knee high shore break while you beat-up every bone in your knee popping up. But other then that this could be a win win.

waialuasurfa

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2005, 12:12:25 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • paddle with back arched, look back at the wave from the direction it's coming from to read your take-off angle(right shoulder for lefts and vice versa), keep back arched and pop up quick(although if longboarding, you may want to enjoy the pre-pop-up glide an extra instant). a key is to remember to pop up from closer to your waist. pop up from your chest and you'll be popping up in stages(really not an acceptable option in my opinion unless you're a raw beginner).
    Oh and "pig dogging" backside barrels really has nothing to do with popping up. That's for when you're already up on your feet.

Psycho

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2005, 08:51:40 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I will pay $20 an hour for someone to videotape me if you promise not to laugh or to tell what you saw.

Bro I'll video tape & pamper you with chocolates & a  shoulder massage along with you Pop-up tutoring for $20.00 na hour. Im totally all about Surf Whoring.

Offline B94

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #67 on: September 02, 2005, 10:21:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Godivas, and lower back too please.... ;)