Author Topic: Anybody have experience with youth wetsuits?  (Read 440 times)

Offline DrZoidberg

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.6.7 Mac OS X 10.6.7
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 11.0.696.57 Chrome 11.0.696.57
    • View Profile
Anybody have experience with youth wetsuits?
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Here's the scoop. I've been out of the surfing loop for a while, I started like two years ago in the summer, got excited to surf the next spring and summer then messed my knee up and missed te whole spring/summer. Then I went to college, and now I haven't surfed in over a year.

I never bought a wetsuit, and well, I'm short and skinny. About 5'5" and 120 pounds, and I'm 19 and I've been like this forever. I can still wear shoes I've had for several years. Also, when I messed up my knee the x rays showed all the growth plates in my legs were fused, so I won't get much taller. I was at the only shop that sells surf related stuff around here, and they have some wetsuits. I found some o neill 3/2 hammer suits, but the small is listed for somebody who is like 5'7'' or something, and the legs were clearly too long. Didn't have an 2xs, but the had youth versions of the same thing in 14s and maybe 16s, which are listed for somebody about my height and weight. Plus, they're 99 dollars, which seems pretty decent for a college student.

So my question is, are the youth suits good quality and worth it? Or should I be on the look out for an 2xs size? Gonna use it for the end of may on, which should suffice. I'm gonna do some searching around the interwebz later, but figured I'd ask here. Any help is appreciated, cause I wanna surf the minute I finish finals and get the hell back to the jersey shore.

Edit: I went and tried on a size 14, which actually fit. The top area of the chest was a bit tight though. But hey for 99 bucks plus whatever I may get on a student discount I'll probably take it.
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:15:21 PM by DrZoidberg »
    Check out my photos