Author Topic: Any advice?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Yanni

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lostgrom87@aim.c
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any advice?
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:07:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hi i'm kyle I'm new here... I'm 17, Im from Reading PA...so Im a "weekend warrior" when it comes to surfing. I started surfing this summer I learned on a 6'10'' Lost semi gun. I can pop up and turn thats it,but im good enough that im not a pain in the water when other surfers are around. I'm 5'10" and weigh 145 to 150. I just bought a another lost board called the TATAKI its 5'10'' 19" 2.5" is this to small? I see pros ride tiny boards but they are experts...
      any advice? thanks Yanni

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    Re: Any advice?
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 07:48:44 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey Yanni,

That's gonna be a bit of a tough board when the waves are weak for someone without much experience. Tough, but not impossible. If that's the type of surfing you're interested in, then go for it...just don't get discouraged of you struggle a bit. Stay dedicated, and remember that it's all about water time: the more time out, the more you'll improve. And absolutely bring both of your boards with you whenever possible so you can make the most out of whatever the conditions warrant.

Good luck!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Yanni

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • AOL Instant Messenger - lostgrom87@aim.c
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:11:56 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks!

Offline ez_ed

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 68
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hate to break it to you, but the 6'10" semi gun is probably not what you want either. It's got volume but not in the right places for when it's small and crumbly.
    I'd go with a mini- longboard(6'4"-6'-8") and get your reps in. It's not just about time in the
    water, it's about catching waves and riding them. When you rip on a mini, then get a shortboard for chest+ waves and keep the 6'10" for when there's a nice hurricane or nor'easter. Or you can just trade both boards in and get an all-arounder longboard that can surf any wave big or small.
    "Live like you're dying."

Offline MulletHopper

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 05:14:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • At 5'10 150lbs that board should be big enough to float you. 2.5 inches thick is plenty of volume.  You may struggle a bit in the beginning adjusting to a shorter board, but you should be fine in the long run.
    Team Summer Weekend Warrior

Offline jammy

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 51
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i looked at the tataki when i was board shopping. as i recall it is a fish-shortboard hybrid. i think you'll be okay but it is definitely on the small side. i went with a 5'10" MR twin, pretty similar dims to your board, but i'm 5'7" and about 135. however, as a woman i don't have as much paddling power as a larger guy.
    so good luck and if the board isn't working for you post it up and sell it! i know a grom who is looking for a board just like yours.
    NLITB