Author Topic: Am I kidding myself?  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 71
  • Soft hated: 3
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
Re: Am I kidding myself?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 09:50:53 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Snagg: I've got a 6'5" whiplash as a step-up, and it's a freaking awesome board.  Turns like a knife with no bad habits....

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 7.0 MS Internet Explorer 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 09:53:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Snagg: I've got a 6'5" whiplash as a step-up, and it's a freaking awesome board.  Turns like a knife with no bad habits....

AWESOME! i'm so stoked. i think mine is 6'0 or 6'1.

Homestar

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 9'1" to fish is what got me on smaller boards- went as far down as a 6'2" fish... now 40lbs lighter I suppose I should see what a 5'10" feels like in a fish...or a 6'6" or so chip...  So little nose, so little confidence has been my issue thus far.  Meanwhile if something doesn't show up from Beryl I'm going to hang myself and this thread will be moot anyway.

Offline NJ Longboarder

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 36
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 12.0 Firefox 12.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If you are ever down near Exit 98 on the GSP you can take it for a spin.  5'10" EPS.  Plenty of float and catches almost everything. 

wow, this sucker is interesting looking http://www.robertssurf.com/diamond-fish.html

i started going short and fat this spring.  down to 5'10's and the boards fit in smaller places and work well.  much easier to carry too when you are carrying stuff with the kiddos. 

highly recommend the roberts diamond fish when waves have some size/push and a bing dharma if it is smaller.  I don't think the dharma will work well in head high plus, but haven't had it out in that yet. 

Homestar

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • needless to say as pitchy as yesterday afternoon was a shorter board would have been nice.

Offline adk

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 48
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.7.4 Mac OS X 10.7.4
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 20.0.1132.57 Chrome 20.0.1132.57
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 08:47:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Homestar you are crazy. Good surfers can lay down heavy turns on all kinds of boards. Big boards, small boards etc. If you want to lay a full rail turn down you need speed and nothing else. Most average surfers cannot generate enough speed on chippy short boards. Wider boards (== larger planing area) gives more speed to surfers without having to generate it by pumping. Want to improve your turns? Get a single fin longboard and learn how to lean in to a real bottom turn.

Homestar

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 05:20:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • As I am at the mercy of mass transit 90% of the time a long board would be amazing but not terribly practical.  Not that anything about surfing here is terribly practical but that's part of the reason.

Offline frontsidecrotchgrab

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 19
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 20.0.1132.57 Chrome 20.0.1132.57
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Been loving my little fish this summer!! I usually ride shortboards but once I learned the style and how to work it, I can whip around on that little goddamn fish so well!!! A pro in cali offered me some advice while speaking of the differences in shape vs stance on a board: the greater the rocker the wider you can/should stand. The opposite is true for flatter boards such as fish/grovelers etc..(speaking of boards below 6')Helped me ride the different shapes much better. The feel you get when working a board correctly should effect the lines you draw. Dont ride boards that tend to be used to draw lines you aren't after.