Author Topic: Am I kidding myself?  (Read 2292 times)

Homestar

Am I kidding myself?
« on: May 30, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So it started to occur to me that all of my boards are between 6'10 and 7'6"...  They aren't eggs- they are short board like shapes - a merrick red beauty and a T&C bullet... about to add a merrick 7'6" I like the longer boards, I like getting in a bit early (probably due to my skill level).  Am I kidding myself that boards 7'2" plus can be whipped around like potato chip boards can?  Obviously conditions are a factor but as I am thinking about it I don't really remember seeing larger boards doing heavy cutbacks like small boards, am I wrong about this?  Should I suck it up and get a smaller stick?

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.7.3 Mac OS X 10.7.3
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1.5 Safari 5.1.5
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    Re: Am I kidding myself?
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• Now I will never be confused with someone who does all these radical shortboard maneuvers, smacking the lip like a pro and throwing buckets all over the place (although occasionally I've been known to toss a dixie cup), so take this for what it's worth:

I can't even move my 6'0" high performance fish around the way I can turn my 5'7 chippy.

I can't even imagine trying to do it on something 6'10 to 7'6 - it's just a whole different kind of surfing. If your intention is to catch as many waves as possible, keep the setups you have. If your intention is to catch fewer waves but execute harder turns, then drop down. It's all personal preference.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 71
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I agree with SeaCliff, you just can't make the same kind of rapid turns with all that swing weight on a bigger board.  If you want to, you could borrow a smaller board and experiment.  I've been slowly downsizing myself, and you would be surprised that you can get the best of both now with a whole range of hybrid shortboards that have both volume and the rocker to get in early, and the fickability of more svelt potato chips.

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i find smaller boards much much easier to ride, probably related to the genesis of your question. for example, i was riding a 5'5 fish most of last week at a lovely left point break - it ranged from knee high to a few feet overhead. i tried to switch up to a 6'3 thruster and felt completely useless - the board was just dead under my feet. 2 factors, i think: Fish (the RNF with a twin +small trailer) versus a thruster, and just the size of the board. that's why i always say it takes a better surfer to surf a bigger board. the equation inverts for me when it gets a lot bigger / more hollow.

i don't know sh1t from shinola, but for me, all else equal, a bigger board is harder to move until the wave starts to give you a lot of canvas and a lot of power. i would try to expand your quiver if you can. everytime i ride something new it helps me learn and progress a little bit more.

Offline balboa

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 2
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 12.0 Firefox 12.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 03:18:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have a 6' fish and am not trying to do turns yet, well cutbacks, but I am having trouble angling down the wave face, I usually pop up am heading straight and lose momentum. I am usually out in smaller surf, chest high being the max but usually knee to waist. I know I need to work on facing where I am going but after reading this, can the board be a big factor in this? Or would that not matter so much here but when someone is trying to do cutbacks?

Offline N.F. Ee

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 5
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have a 6' fish and am not trying to do turns yet, well cutbacks, but I am having trouble angling down the wave face, I usually pop up am heading straight and lose momentum. I am usually out in smaller surf, chest high being the max but usually knee to waist. I know I need to work on facing where I am going but after reading this, can the board be a big factor in this? Or would that not matter so much here but when someone is trying to do cutbacks?

I think that thinner, shorter, and higher performing is inconsequential if you don't know how to harness the energy of the wave. For learning where to be on a wave, a 7 foot board was plenty maneuverable for me. Right now, I'm trying to work out riding potato chip boards, and the way I'm trying to do it is by fine-tuning where to be on a wave for the less buoyant board. That said, there are some bad habits that bigger boards can get you into, like always taking off straight. So I'm not necessarily saying use a bigger board. But for the skill-level you're describing, I don't really think the fish shape is holding you back. If anything it's making the learning process less frustrating than a chip shape would.

Homestar

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've had a fishy... I loved it, skatey etc- but it never felt terribly responsive for anything other than gentle graceful turns - which are fun, don't get me wrong.  I've never felt the need to be that guy on a super pointy shortboard...  I see that guy all the time in waist high waves just looking frustrated and upset.

The quiver expansion is coming- unquestionable.  I think I'm destined never to have a savings account but that's another story.  Perhaps a big guy tri or another fish should be in the mix.  at 6'1" - 190lbs I have this image of myself as much bigger but probably not big enough to justify the extra foot of board.

I'm sure you all know what the new board thing is like here though...  oh cool we got surf... wait, should I risk my window and surf something I don't know or stay with what I know works.  If the mail was more reliable in costa i'd live there...

Offline Harry Balzsac

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 169
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 06:17:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've had a fishy... I loved it, skatey etc- but it never felt terribly responsive for anything other than gentle graceful turns - which are fun, don't get me wrong.  I've never felt the need to be that guy on a super pointy shortboard...  I see that guy all the time in waist high waves just looking frustrated and upset.

Dude, that fish was not small by any measure. It floats me. Easily. I think its 6'6".

Homestar

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • not the KG 6'8"  I had a 6'0' :)   An aside, I never knew you were AKA Bubba.  Good to know.
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:15:37 PM by Homestar »

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
    • Mac OS X 10.7.4 Mac OS X 10.7.4
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 19.0.1084.46 Chrome 19.0.1084.46
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I see lots of people learning on fishes lately...
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 57
    • Soft hated: 4
    • Mac OS X 10.7.3 Mac OS X 10.7.3
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1.5 Safari 5.1.5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:32:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Smaller boards fit in more places on the wave. The problem is that they can be frustrating in weak waves. For small weak waves I like to knee paddle. Your boards seem to be in between. No knee paddling but also no fitting in more places on the wave.
    "Take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they are gone"

Offline NJ Longboarder

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 36
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 06:59:58 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i started going short and fat this spring.  down to 5'10's and the boards fit in smaller places and work well.  much easier to carry too when you are carrying stuff with the kiddos. 

highly recommend the roberts diamond fish when waves have some size/push and a bing dharma if it is smaller.  I don't think the dharma will work well in head high plus, but haven't had it out in that yet. 

Homestar

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• wow, this sucker is interesting looking http://www.robertssurf.com/diamond-fish.html

i started going short and fat this spring.  down to 5'10's and the boards fit in smaller places and work well.  much easier to carry too when you are carrying stuff with the kiddos. 

highly recommend the roberts diamond fish when waves have some size/push and a bing dharma if it is smaller.  I don't think the dharma will work well in head high plus, but haven't had it out in that yet. 

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 71
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm all about the Von Sol Shadow right now , but I'd like to try the Hornet too.

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 7.0 MS Internet Explorer 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I see lots of people learning on fishes lately...

that's what i did. i had a craptacular longboard for the first several months, and then had becker make me a 5'10 fish that was plenty wide and thick for my size. not too old school, though, because i think those are trickier. more of a modern outline quad. then after a few months, had him slim that down. then onefin got me a traditional thruster for xmas, and at first i hated it and it collected dust, but then it really grew on me, and then i fell in love with all the 5'5 style boards (rocket, frocket, white diamond, and now the original RNF). Still go to a traditional thruster for good waves (just got a whiplash i'm dying to try!). but, at least for me, the modern fish was a nice transition / learning board.