Author Topic: advice=>transitioning from a long board  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Sandshark

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
Re: advice=>transitioning from a long board
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 05:34:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The most important thing for me on a longboard is to chill right before the impact zone and wait out till a lull before attempting to punch through.  Helps ALOT.

timing is key!

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 05:50:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The most important thing for me on a longboard is to chill right before the impact zone and wait out till a lull before attempting to punch through.  Helps ALOT.

timing is key!

Whatever kind of board you're riding/paddling.
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 09:44:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

timing is key!

Whatever kind of board you're riding/paddling.

I agree with all of the above. And I would add Heart. You got to want it like nobodies business.

Offline Tom!

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Airborne!
      • AOL Instant Messenger - tomnqs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 01:30:18 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • wait for a lull than paddle like a mofo.  Sometimes this lull can take a few minutes so be patient and ready for when it happens.  Then paddle as hard as you can to get out past the breakers.  Dont half ass paddle.
    Rock on Sisyphus. See you on the hill.

Online jboe

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 08:35:57 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I think there's one other factor that matters: on a 9'0" there's no way you're duckdiving either way unless you have the body density of a bowling ball.. but on something smaller, like a funshape, I think the shape of the nose matters too.  I used to have a 7'6" funshape with a nose like a supertanker, and duckdiving was close to impossible.  My friend had a 7'6" (by the same shaper no less) with a needlenose, and that was significantly easier to get down and under the wave.

jscottk

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 05:26:06 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ok I know this is an old thread and since we probablly wont see waves above waist high for awhile this is all for nothing but..

As most of you have seen I pretty much ride longboards in every condition (Coloergeo inspired this, blame him)
    Yes waiting is key, as is where to wait and how to wait.
    Wait as far into the impact zone as you can, not in the knee high slop current, that will tire you out and drag you out of place as well.  If you notice a current dragging you down out of place, go deeper or go further down the beach to adjust for the drift.  Each wave is going to move you, so be prepared.

When you are waiting and trying to just get under the white water I do this.  Grab the board under one arm, tuck it in tight leave no more then a foot of the nose in front of you. As the white water comes duck under with board in tow, go limp and let your feet come up to the back of the board.  Dont fight it, its a waste of energy.  Yes you will come out with some bruised under arm pits but at least you hung on to your board.  If you notice, you moved a lot less then if you tried to paddle through the wave, your body basically becomes a sea anchor.  Make sure nobody is behind you, they shouldnt be anyway because that s sort of a kook move.  Do this until a lull hits.  Then paddle your ass off.

Do not try this in really big waves, or if the lip is coming down on your head, it will rip your arm off.  Turtle those, but thats a wholenother post. This is just to get through the whitewater slop.

Good luck stay out of peoples way and if it does not work dont blame me.  This is what I do with a 9 to 9.8 board in most conditions.

And for the sake of argument, trying to get out on say an egg or a really thick retro fish on a heavy day is way way harder then a longboard.  At least for a 165 lbs average out of shape Joe.
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 05:29:20 PM by jscottk »

Offline sedlis

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 09:42:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i want to thank all of you for your gentle chidings and good advice.  i think the big issue was timing, patience, waiting for the lull and chilling out when the wall of white water hits.  jscottk, thanks for the ducking advice.  ive started doing that too. 

Offline jammy

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 51
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 11:56:04 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • what everybody said--when going long to short just rip that bandaid off.
    just wanted to add that LN taught me the concept of patience re: lulls. you may have to wait 20 minutes but hey, its better than taking 9 on the head and having to start over again.

NLITB