Author Topic: 30s Newb - Help Please  (Read 1041 times)

Offline SShoreli

• Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
30s Newb - Help Please
« on: June 06, 2011, 04:15:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sorry folks but I'm another "after years of putting it off, I'm finally going to pick up a used board and learn the basics of surfing." I am an expert+ snowboarder and a strong swimmer so at least I have that going for me. My biggest question is where to go to start figuring this out. Having a wife, job and 2 kids will mean the time I will be able to get out most often will be just after daybreak during the week (say 5:45 to 7:30am). I live in south-central Nassau, but work in Suffolk on rt. 110. It is my understanding that Robert Moses is the place to go, however I am not that familiar with the layout and no clue what the rules are. According to everything I've read and common sense, I should find a small peak out of the way of other surfers and "swimming areas" and learn to paddle, etc. But how do I know where I can and can't drop my board in the water?
    Also, I assume on the weekends the family will want to accompany me to the beach. Where can I go on the weekend during the day that allows surfing (if the rules are different than in the early am)?
    At this point in my life I have no interest in being yelled at by a lifeguard or risking my neck surfing some place it shouldn't be, so please give me some direction.
    Thanks.

Offline Speciation

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 5.0 Firefox 5.0
      • View Profile
      • Worldwide Stoke Surfing Videos
    Re: 30s Newb - Help Please
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Good luck, I'm from NJ here, but if I've learned anything from this forum, people are very helpful.

Surfing is one of the best things you can do. Congrats for finally getting in.
    Long Time NJ Surfer - I Blog about Surfing Videos

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.6.7 Mac OS X 10.6.7
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.5 Safari 5.0.5
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sorry folks but I'm another "after years of putting it off, I'm finally going to pick up a used board and learn the basics of surfing." I am an expert+ snowboarder and a strong swimmer so at least I have that going for me. My biggest question is where to go to start figuring this out. Having a wife, job and 2 kids will mean the time I will be able to get out most often will be just after daybreak during the week (say 5:45 to 7:30am). I live in south-central Nassau, but work in Suffolk on rt. 110. It is my understanding that Robert Moses is the place to go, however I am not that familiar with the layout and no clue what the rules are. According to everything I've read and common sense, I should find a small peak out of the way of other surfers and "swimming areas" and learn to paddle, etc. But how do I know where I can and can't drop my board in the water?
    Also, I assume on the weekends the family will want to accompany me to the beach. Where can I go on the weekend during the day that allows surfing (if the rules are different than in the early am)?
    At this point in my life I have no interest in being yelled at by a lifeguard or risking my neck surfing some place it shouldn't be, so please give me some direction.
    Thanks.

The south shore of LI has a handful of places that allow surfing on summer weekend days, just not nearly enough. From the rockaway peninsula all the way through to Robert Moses, swimmers get most of the space, but certainly not all of it. Here's what I'd suggest:

Just go.

When you get to the beach of your choice, look to see where the other people with surfboards are going - that's where the surfing beach will be.

Next:

Just WATCH.

Look to see where the best surfers are, and move down a little ways from them, to an area where the waves may not be as big or good, but there isn't a crowd and you can get used to paddling a board, sitting on it, and trying for waves without fear of hitting someone or wrecking someone else's ride.

but before you go, do this...

LEARN.

Before you even get in the water, you should have a basic understanding of surf etiquette and water safety. There are plenty of threads for you to read in this section and other parts of this forum, but start here. Don't even go in the water with a board if you haven't learned who has the basic right of way, and what it means if you accidentally or unwittingly "drop in" on someone.

Read a bit (or a lot!) - ask us a bunch of questions - and DEFINITELY find a friendly face in the water and ask for some guidance! Most every surfer remembers what it's like to be a newb - if you ask for help and guidance, you'll be really really pleasantly surprised that 99% of the people out there will gladly do it, because they remember what it's like to be you! The other one percent? You don't want to be surfing around them anyway.  ;)

Good luck - the only way to REALLY learn is to put in the water time - so get out there!!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline SShoreli

• Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 11.0.696.65 Chrome 11.0.696.65
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:10:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yes I guess you are right, the only way I am going to figure it out is show up one morning and start watching and learning. I know a good bit about how things work once on the water from my high school boogie board days and time spent in the park snowboarding. Unfortunately I hate meeting new people and am fiercely independent so while I may ask for one time assistance, trying to "buddy" up with someone just doesn't seem to work for me. Guess I'm just weird. Anyway, as I've been thinking about this for so long, I've already read almost everything on this site about beginning and watched tons of videos on youtube. Next step is just doing it already.

Offline surfplusart

• Wahine
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 43
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Mac OS X 10.4.11 Mac OS X 10.4.11
    • Browser:
    • Safari 4.1.2 Safari 4.1.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:02:55 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • in addition to all the good advice by seacliff, you can go to your local surf shop and arrange for some lessons...
    « Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:04:59 AM by surfplusart »
    Darian would go

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:15:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you can go to your local surf shop and arrange for some lessons...

Very good point!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:21:52 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Unfortunately I hate meeting new people and am fiercely independent so while I may ask for one time assistance, trying to "buddy" up with someone just doesn't seem to work for me.

No need to full on "buddy up" - just find a friendly face, or even more, just be open to suggestion if an experienced surfer strikes up a simple conversation with you - it may be the opening he or she is looking for to toss you a couple of tips. Remember, most every decent surfer out there is smart enough to know that the longer you remain in the dark on how to play the sport, the longer you remain a danger to everyone. This means that on any given day, there are a lot of people who are willing to help, if you give them a chance.

Offline TheGreenSurfer

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I am in the same boat. In my 30's got a kid and finally picked up a board. I did what Sea cliff suggested. Started showing up and watching. Then one day suited up and paddled out. I'm hooked. Like you I'm not the type of guy to go buddy up with people. But one guy gave me some pointers one day (cause I'm obviously a newb), and I was extremely greatful.

You just got to get out there. Even on calm days just paddle around for a bit. It will help build up the strength in your arms. Every day that I go I feel like I learn something.

Offline SShoreli

• Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 12:52:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Fingers crossed, this kook will be picking up a used board tonight. Does anyone know if you can get into the Lido West Parking lot before they start collecting money, like 5:30 - 6am?

Offline seacow

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 11
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.19 Firefox 3.0.19
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:34:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ^ Yes you can

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.6.17 Firefox 3.6.17
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Every day that I go I feel like I learn something.

Exactly.

Surfing = the endless learning curve.