Author Topic: 2008 Year in Review - How do you rate yourself? Better, Same, or Worse?  (Read 846 times)

Offline Harry Balzsac

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 169
  • Soft hated: 2
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Year in Review - How do you rate yourself? Better, Same, or Worse?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I was in Mexico in June.  It was my first trip with my wife without our kids.  It was pissing down rain.  I got up early one morning to make the run from Sayulita down to Pta Mita in our little Ford rental to avoid the early crowd.  I was going a little fast when I spotted the turn off for the spot and didn't realize that the little dirt road into the place had turned into a knee-deep river of mud.  The little Ford rental  was buried up to its axles in thick mud and stuck as couldbe.  I tried everything to get that fucker out of there, but just couldn't get it done.  So there I am, standing in what is now a total farking downpour, covered in mud from head to toe (mud all over the interior of the rental, too) when two guys come marching up the path from the spot.  As they walk by in their springsuits and booties, surftechs balanced atop their crew-cut heads, one of them says in a thick Texas accent: "Sheeit, looks like yer stuck, son."  I ask the guy for a tow (his ford explorer is parked across the highway, high and dry).  "No time, sorry, pal."  It was all I could do not to punch the cocksucker in the face.  Finally, I see a front-end loader come bouncing across the road from the cement plant with a couple guys walking beside it.  They hitch a cable to the axle and pull me out of the mud, and drive off, refusing my attempt to pay them for helping me out.  By now, the wind is up and onshore, so I get in the car and drive back to Sayulita, where its lined up and peeling.  I paddle out and get the wave of my whole trip, despite the huge crowd. 

That story is kind of a metaphor for my year in surfing.

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I remember being out on longboards one morning in the spring and seeing Elk get the aesthetically best looking wave I've ever seen. The sun had been up for about 20 minutes and the light was all golden off the water when I see him paddling into the shoulder of a perfect 3ff tubing left.  It was like a JuicyFruit Gum commercial from the 70s.

The light is ridiculous, I'm paddling back out way down the line and there's this wave with all these bright colors, and right in the middle is this bearded Gaius Baltar all-aglow and about to pull-in.
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• I was in Mexico in June.  It was my first trip with my wife without our kids.  It was pissing down rain.  I got up early one morning to make the run from Sayulita down to Pta Mita in our little Ford rental to avoid the early crowd.  I was going a little fast when I spotted the turn off for the spot and didn't realize that the little dirt road into the place had turned into a knee-deep river of mud.  The little Ford rental  was buried up to its axles in thick mud and stuck as couldbe.  I tried everything to get that fucker out of there, but just couldn't get it done.  So there I am, standing in what is now a total farking downpour, covered in mud from head to toe (mud all over the interior of the rental, too) when two guys come marching up the path from the spot.  As they walk by in their springsuits and booties, surftechs balanced atop their crew-cut heads, one of them says in a thick Texas accent: "Sheeit, looks like yer stuck, son."  I ask the guy for a tow (his ford explorer is parked across the highway, high and dry).  "No time, sorry, pal."  It was all I could do not to punch the cocksucker in the face.  Finally, I see a front-end loader come bouncing across the road from the cement plant with a couple guys walking beside it.  They hitch a cable to the axle and pull me out of the mud, and drive off, refusing my attempt to pay them for helping me out.  By now, the wind is up and onshore, so I get in the car and drive back to Sayulita, where its lined up and peeling.  I paddle out and get the wave of my whole trip, despite the huge crowd. 

Whoa....that was a harsh response from those guys....have to think that karma probably paid them back for you, don't you think? Regardless, I'd be very very hard pressed to walk past someone in distress, much less a fellow surfer.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Old_Rock_Guy_in_NH

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

The more I travel different parts of the globe, the more I come to believe that many Americans really do suck in a lot of ways sometimes.

If I am not here then I must be there

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

The more I travel different parts of the globe, the more I come to believe that many Americans really do suck in a lot of ways sometimes.

I dunno, I think the inherent ability to suck crosses all borders and nationalities, but it's particularly distressing in this case because the common bond are ignored. A fellow surfer blowing off another in distress? Sad to me on a whole different level.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline EastEndWahine

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • go ahead, go shred
      • View Profile
      • the surfing handbook
    « Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This was a pretty big year for me, really felt like I got much better.  Transitioned to my shortboard in May, practiced all summer, and got some of the best waves of my life on that board and my quadzilla fish this fall.  Hoping to keep going on the learning curve!
    "Once you have flown, you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return."  da Vinci

Offline surfcitynj

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 6
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 05:16:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I think I improved somewhat. I'm finally starting to get all my boards more dialed in and with each new one they are more refined to my liking. Found myself with a lot more speed out of turns, finishing them out with a lot more power and riding out. Longboarding I think I got a lot better too, lots better at noseriding.
    Peace,
    Kyle

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • ...feelin' great since '78
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • the last few months i got some great advice and pointers and havent looked back... some serious gains in my surfing and a lot more consistancy. i think consistancy and the fact that i get out at least 4or 5 days a week has helped tremendously

2009 will be a great year according to this little asian woman trying to sell me an eggroll at a bar this past weekend.
    team freeloader!