Author Topic: SURF COMMUNITY MEETING  (Read 6956 times)

Offline 1s

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
Re: SURF COMMUNITY MEETING
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • NYCWO: Your plan sounds good. Simply allow the lifeguard (or chief lifeguard) to decide what beaches are safe to open for swimming. Unfortunately there are some issues with that approach, but it's how it should be.

I agree that separating the swimmers from the surfers is a good idea, but don't hassle surfers who are surfing at any hour on beaches not open to bathing.

I think a swim at your own risk clause in the NYS Health Code would eliminate most of the problems with the parkies trying to enforce the law.

The NYS Health code is black and white, law, plain and simple. A parkie cannot simply take it upon themselves to invent laws or change laws, that's what has to be communicated to the Parks Dept.

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 310
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Gil wouldn't go....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: June 13, 2007, 06:50:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • NYCWO: The parkies have no legal right to ask you to exit the water if you are on a beach closed to bathing, if you are surfing on a beach open to bathing with a guard on duty this is the only time they have a right to ask you to exit the water.

Don't give in to them, stand your ground, make a copy of the Health Code and use it to your advantage.

thats great advice. you found something in the health code, and based on that (as opposed to all the other written regs that parks and nypd follow) you're advising someone to risk getting arrested, have to pay a fine, take time out form their family, work to fight it. are you going to pay his legal fees and fines, or make up his wages if he gets docked or fired.

clarence effing darrow
    The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

Offline Adam

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: June 13, 2007, 08:26:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • enough talk you guys got me riledup i say we start rioting &  looting now.

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: June 13, 2007, 09:55:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • tat2 you forgot about the raping part. that's where all the fun is! raping and pillaging.

Offline Mims

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 9
    • A Woman Amongst Men
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: June 13, 2007, 10:08:12 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I guess it's time to work up a "Number 6".  ::)

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
      • View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: June 14, 2007, 12:50:54 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thank you pefa for taking such a positive proactive initiative on this and helping to bring the community together.   Huge props.  I will try to be there and help in any way possible.

Dakook and I spoke with the parks administrator about the incident with you and nycwo.  I would like to share that with the group whenever a meeting is scheduled.  I also talked with BB, Seacliff and Dakook afterwards over beers and they had some great ideas that I think could be immediately implemented if we handle it correctly.  I would defer to them to explain the ideas at the meeting.

Thank you 1s for your help on the bathing regs issue.  Your interpretation is the same as mine when I first read the language.  I think a call may be put in to attorneys with specific knowledge about the statutes and their interpretation, and hopefully we can arm our surfers with the best information possible.

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #51 on: June 14, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey Bubba, want represent us?  ;D

anyway, i asked in the other thread:
    how about we meet in the back room at the T&G next tuesday at 7pm
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 775
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #52 on: June 14, 2007, 09:45:05 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• how about we meet in the back room at the T&G next tuesday at 7pm

Great suggestion, I'm all for it..I hope to be there that evening, if possible!

Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: June 14, 2007, 02:19:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Unless "No Logs in the Box" is opened up for serious consideration, then I'm gonna pass.
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline sir_schadenfreude

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: June 14, 2007, 02:30:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • BTW, today was ALL logs in the box...

Offline waterwolfnyc

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 5
    • There was madness in any direction, at any hour.
      • MSN Messenger - waterwolfnyc@hotmail.com
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #55 on: June 14, 2007, 02:45:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
    ......as for NYCWO getting chased, part of why i'm sooo pissed, he's not the only case- I GOT FDNY, NYPD, ESU, BOAT & CIRCILING HELLICOPTER  JUST OVERHEAD TAKING PICTURES OF ME as i was out for a sunset standup paddle the night before, probably why they were a bit sensitive........ quote]

People, can't you see that they are worried someone will attempt to shoot down an incomoing plane from the water?

you know how them surfboard bags look like rocket launchers

a surfer standning up on a paddle board with a paddle makes them sh*t their pants

there has to be a way around this
    "If a man could pass through Paradise in a dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his soul had really been there, and if he found that flower in his hand when he awake - Aye, what then?" - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Offline 1s

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: June 14, 2007, 06:06:54 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • NYCWO: The parkies have no legal right to ask you to exit the water if you are on a beach closed to bathing, if you are surfing on a beach open to bathing with a guard on duty this is the only time they have a right to ask you to exit the water.

Don't give in to them, stand your ground, make a copy of the Health Code and use it to your advantage.

thats great advice. you found something in the health code, and based on that (as opposed to all the other written regs that parks and nypd follow) you're advising someone to risk getting arrested, have to pay a fine, take time out form their family, work to fight it. are you going to pay his legal fees and fines, or make up his wages if he gets docked or fired.

clarence effing darrow

What law was he violating? People can't simply try to enforce a law that doesn't exist. The NYS Health Code is the written law, how can the NYPD or Parks Dept. try to enforce a law that doesn't exist? I have on numerous occasions asked to speak with a Parks supervisor after being confronted by the parkie, everything worked out fine, they do get pushy but you have to stand your ground and state that you're not violating any regulation, then they make a notation that you refused to exit the water, and they drive on.

If someone gets arrested/cited for surfing a beach during "off" hours or a beach closed to bathing what law are they violating? Let them arrest the person, all that person has to do is answer to the charge with written law. Take a day off from work and go to court, just like people do to go surfing, take a day to stand up for something you love to do. We're not going to stop, right?

I'm still curious as to why the hoopla, what did the person do wrong? What law was violated?

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: June 14, 2007, 06:18:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Classic Hodges! I'm gonna be out of town getting home late Monday night. I dunno if I can make it or not. We'll see.

Unless "No Logs in the Box" is opened up for serious consideration, then I'm gonna pass.

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: June 18, 2007, 02:29:22 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So what's the deal?  Is there a meeting tomorrow night?  Who's in?

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #59 on: June 18, 2007, 02:51:47 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yall know Im in. we shouldve done this a long time ago. Just to sit as a group of concerned citizens on Safety. its a start for people to at least get on the same Page. Its not about who owns the beach, or who surfs where or what board ya ride, its about organising into a collective agenda that suits the entire community as a whole both in & out of the water. The Parks department is just completely ignorant to the workings of how a surf community is treated or how to organize it and run it successfully. theyre view is nothing less the a beginner stepping into the water for the very 1rst time coming from somewhere in middle America. They see it as more of kids play rather then a lifestyle & they have no clue what it means to us.

We should all listen to each other about whats best for he surf beach. Like our need for a lifeguard, the lack of support for a safe beach, the need for more beaches, Clear & present signs, teaching the Parkies about the culture before the summer starts. The Garbage factor on the beach things like that. We need to enlighten them & show them what it is that is important to a healthy surf and beach environment, not just half azz stuff to make it look like they care but actualy give them the tools & stay on them weekly if need be. This isnt a hanging or a Biatch session, its a way to organize our thoughts so that we can do what it takes to make R0ck the same as any other public beach from here to Cali. If we can do this tactfully, who knows what can come of it but if ya sit on your booty, lay around think someone else will do it or I dont know if i'll get what I wnat then dont expect much to ever change. If you surf here, you owe it to the community and yourself to get involved. Its all coming to a head & before some innocent kid gets hurt & thyey try to black ball us out of surfing entireely, please come to this thing.