Author Topic: SURF COMMUNITY MEETING  (Read 6850 times)

Offline Mims

• Wahine
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 9
  • Soft hated: 1
  • A Woman Amongst Men
    • View Profile
Re: SURF COMMUNITY MEETING
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I believe they have a town meeting the 2nd tuesday of every month. But I'm not 100% on that. I'd imagine they'd announce it in "The Wave" though.

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 10:16:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • posted in the callbox thread...here it is as well, maybe a place to regroup on our issues...
    >Hi Friends!
    >
    >Please join me at Rockaway Beach this Saturday, June 16th to help kick
    off
    >the Barefoot Wine Beach Rescue Project along with the Surfrider
    Foundation.
    >
    >After taking part in a beach clean up (4-6 pm), we'll be treating
    >volunteers
    >and friends to a celebration at a nearby restaurant/bar where you'll
    enjoy
    >a
    >private performance by Jill Cunniff of Luscious Jackson (6:30 - 9 pm).
    >We're making it really easy for you and providing complimentary
    shuttle
    >service to and from Union Square... Or you can always take the subway.
    >
    >Please RSVP at http://www.barefootwine.com/beachrescue/rsvp.asp or to
    me.
    >Feel free to pass this along to others, we're hoping for a positive
    turnout
    >to leave Rockaway Beach ³barefoot-friendly².
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I believe they have a town meeting the 2nd tuesday of every month. But I'm not 100% on that. I'd imagine they'd announce it in "The Wave" though.

Yeah they do, I thought it was something different. I'd like to hear how it went. Ive been trying to get a large group of people to go to those meetings for a loooong time & almost no one ever came, NYHC, Hodges have gone but not many surfers have ever showed up. Its kinda over run with other issues. Neighborhood things & the last time I went to one, they didnt care at all about the surfers issues simpley becuase theres just not enough people to get them to listen so I got brushed off easily, Had I known people were going I mightve showed up & added a body to the wall. No worries, Im starting to see others who want to get involved, its growing & theres starting to be more people who want to voice their opinions. I just want them to be cool & take into account that alotta the people who go to these meetings are easily put off to what a surfer would want. I hear it in the bars all the time. They dont want people coming in from the outside & telling them how to live, they get all crazy & form opinions against surfers. They think surfers are gonna steal their lives away or something. I'd like to hear how it went last night tho.

box

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • couple days ago a buttload of cyclists/skateboarders rode naked through several european citys to protest dependency on oil & car culture
     "less gas more ass"

i elect psycho to take the lead for this one....SURF NAKED FOR A GOOD CAUSE

Offline Sandshark

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • These "town hall meetings" are actually community board meetings.  There are 59 community boards in the City.  Board members are selected by the Borough President.  They have committees, like transportation, land use, safety, etc.  No matter how kooky on these Boards may be, they have weight in that these Boards are recognized by the City.  You want a sidewalk cafe?  Gotta present at the CB.  You want a new dog park?  Present at the CB.  Basically, if you wanna know what's happening in your neighborhood, show up to these monthly public meetings.   City agencies seriously bow down to Community Boards.

I work with a lot of very active community members throughout the City who have organized around issues concerning their neighborhoods.  Some of these people are considered whackos, others are held in high esteem and have done things like establish historic districts, create new parks.  In addition to organizing your friends, fellow surfers, "locals," etc., if you don't show up at Comm Board meetings, the City doesn't really care about you.  Seriously, this is THE way to work within the system.   

CB 14 covers the entire peninsula and public meetings are held on the second Tuesday of every month.

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 71
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: June 13, 2007, 02:02:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #36 on: June 13, 2007, 02:31:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • heres a quote from another thread.

Anyway, not to bash the pretense of democracy, in theory it's beautiful but it doesn't really work. Well not the idealized form of it that continues to come up. (that's not a flame or a personal attack, sorry if it comes off that way.)

At last nights community board meeting, open to the public, held at the 9oth street K.C., announced on this message board by a well establish R0ckaway Poppa, only 4 surfers showed up. Of the four, 1 showed up late. Even with 4 surfers there none of us signed up to speak to the points that came up around the new surf beach. None of us Thanked in person the elected officials the love to get patted on the back and thanked for a fairly thankless job.

Surfing was a blip, a literal 5 minute blip on the map. The issues they are dealing with are IMHO real issues that have to do with the real community. For as much as we as surfer think we are a part of the community there is sh1t going down in R0ck by Arverne, and Eastern, Mott Ave **** that we don't have a clue of.

Offline slow_ride

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: June 13, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • nycwo - can you talk on the phone?  PM me your cell if you have a minute

LN, check your pm's

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #38 on: June 13, 2007, 02:46:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ^That guy is good

Not to diminish the growing community of surfers but really lets be a little more specific when we speak.
    Surf community not The Community.

For as much as I can understand the frustration that comes with dealing with politicos because I did that for 10 years of my life as community activist fighting around 2 major and several minor issues in this city, if the sh1t has to get done it has to get done.

In retrospect I would be much less confrontational now then I was in my youth. Spitting in Mayor Guillianis face was probably not the way to go about continuing funds going to the CCRB.

At last nights meeting, I noticed a few issue local surfers could be helpful with. I also notice where tensions lay between east and west R0ckaway. But it's ugly and slow work and someone that has a limited attention span or lacks attention to detail (mostly me) will get bored with building the relationships and trust.

1 person got a 30 year community service award last night another got a 25 year award and  another got a 15 year award. Instant gratification isn't really on their agenda.

Help to get them the things they want and they may listen to you, build a relationship and they will work with you, gain their trust and they will give you what you want the way you want it. It's a long haul thing. Being dismissive isn't the tack to take.

look at me using sailing terms.  ;D   
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 02:49:05 PM by BlueBerry »

Offline 1s

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: June 13, 2007, 02:53:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • http://w3.health.state.ny.us/dbspace/NYCRR10.nsf/56cf2e25d626f9f785256538006c3ed7/8525652c00680c3e8525653000661cd6?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,bathing
    http://w3.health.state.ny.us/dbspace/NYCRR10.nsf/56cf2e25d626f9f785256538006c3ed7/8525652c00680c3e85256530006637c8?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,bathing

See letter (d) of the New York State Public Health Code in both links.

One defines surfing {d) Bathing shall mean to become partially or totally immersed in water and shall include swimming, wading and diving, but shall exclude fishing, scuba diving and surfboarding.}
    , thus excluding surfing from bathing.

The other link states {(d) No boating, water skiing, fishing, or surfboarding shall be permitted in the bathing area during the hours bathing is allowed. Separate areas for the above activities may be designated by floating lines and buoys.}.

I am not a lawyer but common sense leads me to conclude this:

Surfing is not bathing, therefore exempt from the laws pertaining to bathing at the bathing beaches in Rockaway and all of New York State, especially during times the beaches are closed to bathing (before 10:00am and after 6:00pm). The parkies have no legal right to demand you exit the water for surfing, neither does the NYPD. They can cite other reasons like you are a terrorist threat, etc. and ask you to leave the water for that reason, but not for surfing a NYC Beach during "off" hours.

Even better, since so many beaches are closed to bathing because of lack of lifeguards early in the season, those beaches, according to NYS Health Code, are open to surfing (but not bathing). You are not breaking the law for surfing on a beach without a lifeguard.

Last year I printed out a copy of the NYS Health Code, when hassled got the copy from a zip lock baggy and showed the parkie, if still hassled I requested a Parks Dept. Supervisor to speak to, sometimes they came, and when they did they told the Parkie to make a notation I refused to comply, then I went back surfing.

Hope this is helpful.

NYCWO: The parkies have no legal right to ask you to exit the water if you are on a beach closed to bathing, if you are surfing on a beach open to bathing with a guard on duty this is the only time they have a right to ask you to exit the water.

Don't give in to them, stand your ground, make a copy of the Health Code and use it to your advantage.

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #40 on: June 13, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ^ thank you 1's

that was farking great
    Thanks

Offline frroK

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
      • AOL Instant Messenger - frrok
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 03:25:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • friggin awesome! ...haha did you have one of those waterproof bags in your wetsuit?

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 04:35:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Wow, gone from the messageboard for a few days and look at what I missed.

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 04:53:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • http://w3.health.state.ny.us/dbspace/NYCRR10.nsf/56cf2e25d626f9f785256538006c3ed7/8525652c00680c3e8525653000661cd6?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,bathing
    http://w3.health.state.ny.us/dbspace/NYCRR10.nsf/56cf2e25d626f9f785256538006c3ed7/8525652c00680c3e85256530006637c8?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,bathing

See letter (d) of the New York State Public Health Code in both links.

One defines surfing {d) Bathing shall mean to become partially or totally immersed in water and shall include swimming, wading and diving, but shall exclude fishing, scuba diving and surfboarding.}
    , thus excluding surfing from bathing.

The other link states {(d) No boating, water skiing, fishing, or surfboarding shall be permitted in the bathing area during the hours bathing is allowed. Separate areas for the above activities may be designated by floating lines and buoys.}.

I am not a lawyer but common sense leads me to conclude this:

Surfing is not bathing, therefore exempt from the laws pertaining to bathing at the bathing beaches in *far western LI* and all of New York State, especially during times the beaches are closed to bathing (before 10:00am and after 6:00pm). The parkies have no legal right to demand you exit the water for surfing, neither does the NYPD. They can cite other reasons like you are a terrorist threat, etc. and ask you to leave the water for that reason, but not for surfing a NYC Beach during "off" hours.

Even better, since so many beaches are closed to bathing because of lack of lifeguards early in the season, those beaches, according to NYS Health Code, are open to surfing (but not bathing). You are not breaking the law for surfing on a beach without a lifeguard.

Last year I printed out a copy of the NYS Health Code, when hassled got the copy from a zip lock baggy and showed the parkie, if still hassled I requested a Parks Dept. Supervisor to speak to, sometimes they came, and when they did they told the Parkie to make a notation I refused to comply, then I went back surfing.

Hope this is helpful.

NYCWO: The parkies have no legal right to ask you to exit the water if you are on a beach closed to bathing, if you are surfing on a beach open to bathing with a guard on duty this is the only time they have a right to ask you to exit the water.

Don't give in to them, stand your ground, make a copy of the Health Code and use it to your advantage.

Thats what Im talkin about. Noice!

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #44 on: June 13, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yeah, good report 1's

this is what I posted in another thread on the same topic:

One thing I proposed ages ago is built on beach safety issues in regards to the lifeguards being in control. Similar to what PY stated, but it's like this: The Lifeguards designate a swimming area by flags where there are no rip currents or other dangers or submersable jetties. At any time through the day those flags can move for safety concerns (currents develpoing from tidal changes or swell increasing). The public may only swin between those flags - nowhere else! Now there maybe 10 sets of flags in a half mile of beach, that is fine, but it allows the lifguards to also have better management of the people swimming. I really believe that there would be significantly less deaths at R0ck because you could have 3 lifeguards patrolling one flagged area rather that one kid on the tower scoping an 1/8 or 1/16 of a mile stretch of beach. Soft surfcraft is also permitted in between the flagged areas. Now, where there are no flags this is free for use to all other "surfcraft"

It's a pretty simple plan and it avoids a designated "surf" area. It should be the otherway around - designated "swimming" areas for personal safety.
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.