Author Topic: SURF COMMUNITY MEETING  (Read 6892 times)

Offline frroK

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 17
  • Soft hated: 0
    • AOL Instant Messenger - frrok
    • View Profile
Re: SURF COMMUNITY MEETING
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 04:16:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • some familiar faces in that little video clip. good on you guys.  ...too bad the waves sucked...and the surfing ...well...i won;t go there.

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 04:22:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ok someone enlighten me here...is there a law we would be breaking if we surfed at designated beach after 6pm?
    the whole point of having a designated surf beach was for this brown trout not to happen, and to no longer be hassled.
    http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/video/?key=23
    I don't know the exact details but there is some law that states an officer can order you from the water in the interest of safty and fallure to comply is a misdemeaner. THere is no actuall ticket for surfing.

Holy crap! I never even knew that clip existed!  ::)
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

elkisthebastard

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 04:24:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ok someone enlighten me here...is there a law we would be breaking if we surfed at designated beach after 6pm?
    the whole point of having a designated surf beach was for this brown trout not to happen, and to no longer be hassled.
    http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/video/?key=23
    I don't know the exact details but there is some law that states an officer can order you from the water in the interest of safty and fallure to comply is a misdemeaner. THere is no actuall ticket for surfing.

Holy crap! I never even knew that clip existed!  ::)

Really?  They re-show it on Cool In Your Code all the time. 

Why don't you guys (or I guess I should say "we") call the Parks guy in that clip.  Is he still at the Parks Department?

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 04:28:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Just googled his name, and his email contacts shows up...I was thinking of writing to him, but was wondering if some more prominent members here might have more weight in the matter than me...ie LN! probably speaks better too...
    will gladly sign petition if needed.
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 04:42:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • As long as we're on this whole thing I might as well let people know, Ive been having a conversation about this & Im sorry If I offend anyone but I believe there is strength in numbers, I also believe all surfers should have a say as well as some local people too but some dissagree & believe they can speak for a group with out consulting them. whatever, I just want whats best for us all But it is America & dont think that a bunch of people coming from outside the community & telling the local people what to do is the best, working together yes but I would really hope that anyone who does this talks with the loacl surfers & see what theyve already talked about & what they'd ike too. everyone has rights here. its apublic beach but please think about the community around the surfing world as well. better to change their minds the but heads with people who dont understand surfing. Thats just my 2 cents but what do I know? Im just 1 person.

Offline pefa

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • ALOHA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 05:53:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • but I would really hope that anyone who does this talks with the loacl surfers & see what theyve already talked about & what they'd ike too. everyone has rights here. its apublic beach but please think about the community around the surfing world as well. better to change their minds the but heads with people who dont understand surfing. Thats just my 2 cents but what do I know? Im just 1 person.

i'm doing it, i've got as good of an understanding as anyone & i think i'm local living 100 yards from the break, and i think i've talked and know enough of the surfers & great place to meet in our house right across the street from the break, and the key is TAKING INITIATIVE & MEETING with whoever is interested , offering POSITIVE feedback, and making sh*t happen, so i don't really know your point.
    i'm not trying to run or take charge of anything, just get the ball rolling and offer a pyscical forum for all who are interesed to come voice so WE CAN HAVE A UNIFIED front......
    sorry, i'm ranting also........
    i'm sick of this...
    the last straw and this forum is a great place to initiate change, but we get to get out to actually make it happen & happen it MUST.
    psycho, i agree w/ your concerns, but thats why i think this would be a good place to it w/ and there is no better way than a meeting with concerned souls, and i'm not going to tell anyone they cant come if they have something POSITIVE to offer

......as for NYCWO getting chased, part of why i'm sooo pissed, he's not the only case- I GOT FDNY, NYPD, ESU, BOAT & CIRCILING HELLICOPTER  JUST OVERHEAD TAKING PICTURES OF ME as i was out for a sunset standup paddle the night before, probably why they were a bit sensitive........ and why i'm wholly pissed off enough to make this a top proirity. imagine if it wasn't so late & i had time to roll up a fatty for when i got out far enough....
    LIVE   ALOHA

Offline pefa

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • ALOHA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 07:22:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • one thing i want to make perfectly clear is that i am not trying to lead, control, shape or to take charge or anything like that, or think/ claim i may know or be more righteous to do so...... and i don't want to hear that ' i havn't lived here that long.... or i don't have a history/ experience w/ this or that....' cause it means nothing to me..... lets look forward positively.
    anyone can point out all of the proplems or things that are wrong, but offering solutions and taking the necessary steps to follow through is what its all about.
    i just want to open the doors to bring people together to come up with a comprehensive list of issues/ proposed solutions,  and a plan of action with some timeframe and i don't care where it is or if anyone wants to take charge-

again, all im concerened with is a better future for OUR COMMUNITY

THIS IS ALSO NOT GOING TO BE A GRIPE SESSION- DON"T JUST COME TO BITCH AND DON"T COME IF YOU DON"T HAVE SOMETHING POSITIVE TO OFFER TO ALL.

LIVE   ALOHA

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 08:05:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Pefa, let's see what the moderators/locals on this board want to do...plus some previous connections with the right poeple to contact might already be in place...we all want the best for everyone, so let's get it together *if* we all feel this is important.
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline Bacon

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 263
    • Soft hated: 27
    • 5'2" or nothin' bru
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 08:08:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • well, as I was paddling into the 60's, there were PLENTY of people on the beach. Notably black people & black parkies who did nothing. there was also plenty of guys on the jetty fishing & they did nothing about that either - the cheif concern was to get me out of the water & they went nuts about it

always trying to bring the white man down! 
    I need the sea because it teaches me.

Offline pefa

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • ALOHA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 09:23:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Pefa, let's see what the moderators/locals on this board want to do...plus some previous connections with the right poeple to contact might already be in place...we all want the best for everyone, so let's get it together *if* we all feel this is important.

first off, we on this board are no where near everone who represents this community and or who are interested, so all i'm interested in doing is getting the ball rolling. maybe we should do it @ the tap were there's more room and more central.

second, i'm pretty familiar with local sentiments, unless everyones just been talking sh#t all this time, which i doubt, so feelings are well known- again, i'm just saying lets put up or shut up.
    i know many people on my block for example (93rd) who have been surfing/ and or enjoying the beach in any way for longer than most people have been alive on this board, and are just as concerned and willing to do something. there is a solution out there where the vast majority can be much more satisfied with a more sybiotic relationship with the powers.
    just an example, central park concervancy, park volunteers, community training outreach for city ee's, etc...
    LIVE   ALOHA

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 10:02:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I think most people (hopefully Psycho himself) are still involved in the "town hall meeting' tonight - I couldn't make it unfortunately.

but let me say this for clarity, Psycho was 'discussing' this with another board member which clearly seemed to rank of some misunderstanding (that's my personal view), hence then Psycho posted in here.

So don't take those words to heart Pefa, they weren't directed to you in any way as far as i can discern.

As for a meeting, this is essential. We will need a collective voice of ALL people, not just surfers, but getting the word out there and having a venue to host a lot of people takes time & efforrt. I am more than willing to participate on all levels & to host - but I do propose that those willing to be involved come out and say so & actually put their name down.

Once we meet, discuss and table our concerns, we might want to elect a spokesperson and take it from there. But to be honest & frank, these Parks people have been around the block many more times than you think & the last thing they want is some beligerant local screaming epitaphs in their collective ear. You'll just make them switch off & get negative about a community as a whole.
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline 2wordsilivehere

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 10:17:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • THE GREEN GOBLINS STRIKE!i heard one got fired...for weighing under 300 pounds.whens the meeting?
    remember,dont drop in on the locals.

Offline sir_schadenfreude

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 08:27:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sooo... It looks like there could be a decent evening session today... is a showdown with the greenies inevitable?

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 09:21:11 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I think most people (hopefully Psycho himself) are still involved in the "town hall meeting' tonight - I couldn't make it unfortunately.

but let me say this for clarity, Psycho was 'discussing' this with another board member which clearly seemed to rank of some misunderstanding (that's my personal view), hence then Psycho posted in here.

So don't take those words to heart Pefa, they weren't directed to you in any way as far as i can discern.

As for a meeting, this is essential. We will need a collective voice of ALL people, not just surfers, but getting the word out there and having a venue to host a lot of people takes time & efforrt. I am more than willing to participate on all levels & to host - but I do propose that those willing to be involved come out and say so & actually put their name down.

Once we meet, discuss and table our concerns, we might want to elect a spokesperson and take it from there. But to be honest & frank, these Parks people have been around the block many more times than you think & the last thing they want is some beligerant local screaming epitaphs in their collective ear. You'll just make them switch off & get negative about a community as a whole.

Wait there was a town hall meeting last night? If there was, Why wasnt half this messageboard involved, Clued in or called? If there was, Im about to blow it up around here.
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:26:27 AM by PSYCHO »

Offline pefa

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • ALOHA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 09:53:27 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • pyscho, i don't think it even matters about the meeting ( if there even was one) as in my humble opinion, i think we have some work to do to make a better comprehensive presentation, etc......
    thomas, you have done soooo much for so long, given back so much, have so many good ideas and we've had some great brainstrming sessions, but if we organize all that and everything else- lets say for example NYHC's experience (pretty much wouldn't be a surfing beach if it wasn't for him) and all the other great people and ideas that have been discussed or not even know yet- we'll be much better armed. also, i like NYCWO's idea of people who want to contribute positively should come out and say so and put their names down or something.....
    my 2 cents, and again, i don't want to step on any toes or appear like i'm trying to take control of this isssue, or being a point/ spokesperson at all...... i just want to see some results and i believe there is great potential for the beach going community to exist sybiotically with the beach governing bodies......
    LIVE   ALOHA