Author Topic: Rockaway's Ridiculous ban on Boogie Boards: CBS 2 at B97th St covering it NOW!  (Read 1228 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.4 Safari 6.1.4
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
For those of you that may not know, the NYC Parks Department implemented a ridiculous ban on Body Boards. Yep, that's right - no body boards allowed in the water. Period. Ever. Fins or no fins.

Ridiculous.

Well - through the work of the newly formed Rockaway Beach Surfer's Association and other local civics, CBS-TV anchor Steve Langford has a hold of this lunacy and is heading for B97th St NOW.

if you are in the area or can get to the area, please head over and show some support for the repeal of this ridiculous "right of passage" for our very young soon to be surfers as they learn the ocean and wave dynamics, our adult friends who have been in the lineup riding waves with us for years, and the disabled (often times military veterans) for whom using a body board becomes their only way to stay connected with our ocean.

Get down there if you can!!

Thanks!!!!
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline RayG

• Hoon
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 189
  • Soft hated: 10
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
    • View Profile
Also just got a shoutout of our plight on the Live Webcast of the Arica Pro Challenge Bodyboard event. Okay they mispronounced my name, but got a bit more airtime to the international audience.
Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU

Offline RayG

• Hoon
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Oh, and don't just "cover the story".. ask WHY? and WHO? Talk to THOSE people and shame them into reversing this silly arbitrary decision.

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 206
  • Soft hated: 13
  • Are you down with the people?
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.143 Chrome 36.0.1985.143
    • View Profile
I think a Critical Mass-style boogie board assualt on the Box/Muff/E-Muff beaches is in order!
So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline chuzzlewit

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 28
  • Soft hated: 1
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
    • View Profile
    • Email
pretty sure "no boogie boards" is rule catch-21.

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 133
  • Soft hated: 6
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
surfer booger swimmer wader - we are all just a bunch of dumb, (relatively) hairless apes gracelessly splashing around at the ocean's edge trying to amuse ourselves.  No ape is just gonna tell another ape not to bring that thing in your hands into the water anymore without a reason.  10 to 1 somebody sued everyone else to blame but their darling Jack Johnson jr. (with the Hurley hat, Sector 8, and Shaka shirt) after he broke a vertebrae or two and went from master of mother ocean oneness to riding the short-bus in one quick shore-dump.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.3 Safari 6.1.3
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline RayG

• Hoon
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • View Profile
Now that we won for the next two weeks. Does that then allow them anywhere OFF season as surfing is?

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 30
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mac OS X 10.9.4
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0.6 Safari 7.0.6
    • View Profile
10 to 1 somebody sued everyone else to blame but their darling Jack Johnson jr. (with the Hurley hat, Sector 8, and Shaka shirt) after he broke a vertebrae or two and went from master of mother ocean oneness to riding the short-bus in one quick shore-dump.
As there seem to be as many 'reasons' given as people you talk to, I think it was way more arbitrary than that.  One can only imagine what nonsense is next. 
the A is a small price to pay

Offline Kyle

• Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 205
  • Soft hated: 14
    • View Profile
Ok party people, I hate to break it to you but as much as I want to school Jill, it's an issue of crowd control. So many kids don't know how to swim in NYC. It's a freaking shame.

Remember when those kids were "swept out to the ocean" and drowned in June on a field trip?

In tandem with this ban they should offer free swim lessons and ocean safety courses.

As well, they have barked me out of the surf area when I was teaching my kids how to surf on the insides (I wasn't attached to a floatation device) and barked my kids into the surf area when they were strapped to said offensive elements.

I cannot wholly blame them but they should do more. Heck, their lessons and ocean safety classes might parlay into some amazing lifeguards down the line.

Pay it fwd instead of trim it back?

Or if you can't help trimming it back, give more surf spots where flotation devices are allowed (ahem, that would include surfboards as well).

Should I run for office?

Offline thanks_table

• Liked: 4
  • Soft hated: 1
  • Mac OS X 10.9 Mac OS X 10.9
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
    • View Profile
    • Email
At a glance, I'd say this was because Rockaway has a handful of "surfing only beach breaks" which do not have lifeguards- and casual beachgoers who don't want to deal with the more crowded "swimming only/no surfing beach breaks" (which provide lifeguards) have been buying crappy boogie boards so they can go in the water without hassle.

Since the city wouldn't want to spend any time or money offering a "proficiency test" to determine which people are at least competent in the water, they probably want to issue this across-the-board ban to avoid dealing with any legal/safety issues.

I also doubt there's a way any of this can be enforced when we get to Sep/Oct/Nov, when the waves start getting good and there aren't any Parks Department people waddling around the beaches.

Offline Kyle

• Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 205
  • Soft hated: 14
    • View Profile
Makes sense logistically but is disappointing, short sighted and unproductive. The typical NYC response to the ocean and the Rockaways. The city keeps dropping the ball on how to be engaged with this lovely, natural resource.