Author Topic: R0CKAWAY SURF COMMUNITY MEETING 6/19 7pm  (Read 6321 times)

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 22
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
Re: R0CKAWAY SURF COMMUNITY MEETING 6/19 7pm
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2007, 03:40:06 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • if we're typing up an agenda, then this is what i was thinking about (incorporate and omit as you like):

First a couple of general things to think about:

1.First, DO NO HARM Ė mustnít threaten off-season or surfing altogether.  At the end of the day, I donít want more governance Ė I want freedom.  More rules is generally bad imho.

2.Second, consider whether to pursue incremental change or ideal solution
         a. Incremental is somewhat reactionary but brings quicker results, many small battles in a long war.  Can be quite effective if the end goal isnít too far e.g. Camp Hero
         b. Wholesale change may take awhile to see results, but may be more far-sighted Ė one or two decisive battles.  Maybe better if there are many interdependent issues and complex solutions.
         c. Either way, we canít just bitch.  We have to present an alternative solution.

Then topics that Iíd like to discuss:

1. How do we reach out to the community? And who are we reaching out to?  Are we going to represent surfing interests?  Swimmers?  Fishermen?  All beachgoers?  What is our purpose?

2. Beach access
         a. Opening unguarded beaches to surfing (red flags)
         b. Is surf beach designation the way forward?  Or does it end up pitting surfers against the community and swimmers and those who we displace?
         c. Swimming after hours (at your own risk) Ė maybe we could get the community behind us on this one.

3. Bodyboarding access

4. Framework for working with and registering complaints to City and Parks Dept
         a. Efficient and organized structure presenting a united front behind a clear message and able to mobilize people and resources
         b. Two-way communication
         c. Documentation
              i. Video taping the situation and violations
              ii. 311
              iii. Grievance form or call in/email to Surfrider
              iv. Log book on the beach
              v. We need to find out who is in charge of what?

5. Trash cans

6. Piling markings

7. btw, we should thank the guy on the community board for going to bat for us Ė and Jill for that matter.
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 03:45:41 PM by little_nasty »

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 28
    • Soft hated: 4
      • AOL Instant Messenger - NYsur4dude
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #61 on: June 19, 2007, 03:43:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i dont feel we should bring sfo ito this... lets just leave it as it is... a surf community looking for what will better them
    Jake is back bitchesssssss

Offline Mims

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 9
    • A Woman Amongst Men
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: June 19, 2007, 03:46:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • if we're typing up an agenda, then this is what i was thinking about:

1.   First a couple things DO NO HARM Ė mustnít threaten off-season or surfing altogether.  At the end of the day, I donít want more governance Ė I want freedom.  More rules is generally bad imho.
    2.   Second, consider whether to pursue incremental change or ideal solution
    a.   Incremental is somewhat reactionary but brings quicker results, many small battles in a long war.  Can be quite effective if the end goal isnít too far e.g. Camp Hero
    b.   Wholesale change may take awhile to see results, but may be more far-sighted Ė one or two decisive battles.  Maybe better if there are many interdependent issues and complex solutions.
    c.   Either way, we canít just bitch.  We have to present an alternative solution.

1.   How do we reach out to the community? And who are we reaching out to?  Are we going to represent surfing interests?  Swimmers?  Fishermen?  All beachgoers?  What is our purpose?
    2.   Beach access
    a.   Opening unguarded beaches to surfing (red flags)
    b.   Is surf beach designation the way forward?  Or does it end up pitting surfers against the community and swimmers and those who we displace?
    c.   Swimming after hours (at your own risk) Ė maybe we could get the community behind us on this one.
    3.   Bodyboarding access
    4.   Framework for working with and registering complaints to City and Parks Dept
    a.   Efficient and organized structure presenting a united front behind a clear message and able to mobilize people and resources
    b.   Two-way communication
    c.   Documentation
    a.   Video taping the situation and violations
    b.   311
    c.   Grievance form or call in/email to Surfrider
    d.   Log book on the beach
    d.   We need to find out who is in charge of what?
    5.   Trash cans
    6.   Piling markings
    7.   btw, we should thank the guy on the community board for going to bat for us Ė and Jill for that matter.

This is great, LN!!

In regards to the red flags, isn't there a colored flag system in place? Like red means, beach closed. Yellow means it's open to surfers/spongers. Green open to swimmers/spongers.

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: June 19, 2007, 03:48:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i dont feel we should bring sfo ito this... lets just leave it as it is... a surf community looking for what will better them

In fact, I think that should be a topic too; what role different groups should play, if at all.  I would be happy to make the other side of that argument at the meeting.

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 28
    • Soft hated: 4
      • AOL Instant Messenger - NYsur4dude
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #64 on: June 19, 2007, 03:49:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  •  ;D ;)
    Jake is back bitchesssssss

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: June 19, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • surfing beach signs?
    you want to print agenda up or should I?
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:19:12 PM by Looseness »
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline 1s

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: June 19, 2007, 04:44:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • if we're typing up an agenda, then this is what i was thinking about (incorporate and omit as you like):

1.First, DO NO HARM Ė mustnít threaten off-season or surfing altogether.  At the end of the day, I donít want more governance Ė I want freedom.  More rules is generally bad imho.

2.Second, consider whether to pursue incremental change or ideal solution
         a. Incremental is somewhat reactionary but brings quicker results, many small battles in a long war.  Can be quite effective if the end goal isnít too far e.g. Camp Hero
         b. Wholesale change may take awhile to see results, but may be more far-sighted Ė one or two decisive battles.  Maybe better if there are many interdependent issues and complex solutions.
         c. Either way, we canít just bitch.  We have to present an alternative solution.

1. How do we reach out to the community? And who are we reaching out to?  Are we going to represent surfing interests?  Swimmers?  Fishermen?  All beachgoers?  What is our purpose?

2. Beach access
         a. Opening unguarded beaches to surfing (red flags)
         b. Is surf beach designation the way forward?  Or does it end up pitting surfers against the community and swimmers and those who we displace?
         c. Swimming after hours (at your own risk) Ė maybe we could get the community behind us on this one.

3. Bodyboarding access

4. Framework for working with and registering complaints to City and Parks Dept
         a. Efficient and organized structure presenting a united front behind a clear message and able to mobilize people and resources
         b. Two-way communication
         c. Documentation
              i. Video taping the situation and violations
              ii. 311
              iii. Grievance form or call in/email to Surfrider
              iv. Log book on the beach
              v. We need to find out who is in charge of what?

5. Trash cans

6. Piling markings

7. btw, we should thank the guy on the community board for going to bat for us Ė and Jill for that matter.

Excellent points!

I believe the health code would have to be changed in some way to incorporate a swim at your own risk clause. It seems like that would solve all problems related to the parks dept. regulators.

Offline sideways

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 2
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Life, it only happens once.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: June 19, 2007, 07:08:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • At work still (blah blah wah wah) so my plan to make it out are slim to none. hope we have good turnout and look fwd to hearing the next steps.

Offline three_fins_out

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 35
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: June 19, 2007, 07:19:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • this looks great and bummed i will not be able to there. looks forward to updates/minutes from the meeting...

a few things that i would like to get updated on -

did parks ever open another surfing beach?

did parks ever post the etiquette signs?

we had an full-day meeting last year with lb about garbage cans/removal. have any changes been made?

good luck!
    can you here me now...good