Author Topic: R0CKAWAY SURF COMMUNITY MEETING 6/19 7pm  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Sandshark

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
Re: R0CKAWAY SURF COMMUNITY MEETING 6/19 7pm
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • sorry, won't be able to attend. have to attend a community meeting in the meatmarket neighborhood tonight.

anywhoo, i'm sure BB will represent the sharkberry interests.

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 28
    • Soft hated: 4
      • AOL Instant Messenger - NYsur4dude
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 10:30:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • essentally that tat rule means, is ou can make a sign no bigger than 2 feet by 3 feet and carry it...  thats it
    Jake is back bitchesssssss

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 10:32:25 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Bro the Parks department would have to supply the signs. Not us, no ones getting fined if a parks department official sign is posted. not a private group but an Official sign from the Parks themselves. A couple 3 foot signs would do alot!

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #33 on: June 19, 2007, 10:34:11 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • dopey...  box is talkin bout makin her own signs  im telling her its a bad idea

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 10:35:15 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah I know we're not allowed to make our own. remember the Surf beach sign? they didnt ticket anyone, they just toree it down & threw it on the beach.

Offline Mims

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 9
    • Soft hated: 1
    • A Woman Amongst Men
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah I know we're not allowed to make our own. remember the Surf beach sign? they didnt ticket anyone, they just toree it down & threw it on the beach.

Box was talking about putting up signs announcing the meeting tonight, Brainiac.

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 10:38:11 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • there was no rebuttable sourse behind that sign and they didnt know who did it... dont be a jerk... if you make fliers with  "come to the tap and grill  for a surf community meeting  ur boys at the t&g will eat it

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 10:38:26 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • thank you shortay

box

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2007, 10:39:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • dopey...  box is talkin bout makin her own signs  im telling her its a bad idea

this is something addressed to psycho following up a conversation yesterday.

i made a 311 complaint yesterday with 311 about those garbage cans
    jill recommended all complaints go through 311 as they will be documented and they have to be checked up on

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 10:39:38 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This is what I'd like to see but this is just me, I dont know what other people would like to discuss. From tonights Meeting I'd like to address between 3 and 5 issues that can be organized & discussed with the parks department concerning the major safety issues as well as some social issues. Choose a few topics tonight that are up there in the importance level & try to conjour up some sort of plan to bring it to the Parks attention whether it be in the form of some kind of showing of support by exa,ple of power, like showing the sheer amount of people willing to step up &come to some kind of meeting or a petition. Just so long as this doesnt turn into a biatch session about everything under the sun, maybe we can come together with some Ideas.

Mine are this,

Lifeguard should be present at the surf beach and have the same abilities/powers as any other Lifeguard on the beach including a stand to sit high as the others do. Im sure if some national organization found out there was no lifeguard posted at a surfbeach they'd probabaly look horrified. Theyre needed everywhere durring summer Hours. ( I know this is a joke but, its an important example) there was a shark scare theother day & the LG's called the entire beach out of the water, except for the surf beach. the Parkies sat there with out a care. What if? Just what if? Imagine if someone needed serious medical attention God forbid. LG's should be there.

Up to 4 or 5 LARGE official signs need to be placed on the beach in a visable area so that beach goers with out a doubt know that this beach is the Surf beach & absolutely no bathing without a surfboard. (Maybe as a sidenote, no children under 13 years old without adult supervision but thats another safety debate) Make it publicly clear this is a surfing only beach.

The Parkies need to be well trained in what surfing is & how it effects a swimmer/surfer to be together in the water & the balance between the 2. Also they need responsabilities, they need to make sure beach goers are cleaning up theyre garbage, issuing tickets maybe for violations such as littering & breaking all beach rules like dogs on the beach & such, just keeping general order but in a proffesional mannor. Making sure that the beginers are moving to the beginner areas & hellping the life guards keep bathers out of the surfing areas at all time to avoid innocent adults & children from becoming victoms of their own ignorance to what a surfboard can do to a 6 or a 50 year olds body. CPR training wouldnt hurt and the discussion of some type of customer service should be addressed, alotta people feel like theyre being harassed by the parkies becuase they feel a lil powerfull wearing the shirt, some say theyve been victom of false rules. 1 guy harassed me & PoppaGB for standing there with Cameras in our hands & he had quite the lil attitude too.

More Space for surfing is desperately needed, not only becuase of the sheer amount of surfers & its growing poularity but also a safe place where beginners can learn out of the way of the more advanced surfers & serious danger. Maybe even offer some instruction with a lifegaurd employed by the city, theres a bunch of em who surf who rather be in the water or doing something if they thought it would help. I'm not sure but I think the majority of horrid surf related injuries last year were becuase the beginners didnt kow how to surf or where to be in the water cuasing themselves to be dears in a headlight situation. That & theres too many people squished into 1 area & thats a disaster waiting to happen mixed with the other bvathers issue, uhg It terrifies me. people drop into a wave & at the last minute try to avoid them but boards hit them & massive injuries were inflicted.

Also I'd like to discuus the fact they do want to exploit surfing as a sales pitch for the area, thats fine but if so we should use this to ur advantage, they want to show a top knoch beach with a real beach living atmosphere, we should have a top knoch beach with all the same bells & whistles as any other beach from Jerz to Cali. I think we have some leverage here & if we use our brains, Im sure we can influence change based on that.

1 Last thing,
    Public Offices I wouldnt mind seeign people who surf or are really into environmental issues start running for small offices or hell even larger ones out here. down the road that could have severe effects on the community & changes would be a heck of alot easier when it comes to people who have an understanding of a beach culture rather then people who do not.

As long as these issues can somehow come together with some other issues, make a clear game plan on how to display them, I'd be stoked. The Garbage cans are an issue for sure. Anyone got a copy of that 70's R0ck surf film that shows the exact same Garbage cans on the beach? thats unbelievable. Theyre out dated. we ned either more, or a beter designed can to stop the Birds from getting at it, and fines for litterers should be enforced. If I littered in front of an official in the city, I'd be ticketed. I saw a guy last week throw a gum wrapper in the subway & a plain clothes busted him & slammed him with a ticket. ;D

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #40 on: June 19, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • sigh... i think im gonna move to williamsberg....

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: June 19, 2007, 10:52:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey all, They appear to be fixing that jagged, deadly hand rail at 92nd street as I type. I will go confirm, but they have been parked there and are messing with pipes all morning now.

Can't make the meeting though. Workin in the shitty till 11pm
    Foamies are the new black

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #42 on: June 19, 2007, 11:02:16 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • wow!

Offline B94

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #43 on: June 19, 2007, 11:04:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This is what I'd like to see but this is just me, I dont know what other people would like to discuss. From tonights Meeting I'd like to address between 3 and 5 issues that can be organized & discussed with the parks department concerning the major safety issues as well as some social issues. Choose a few topics tonight that are up there in the importance level & try to conjour up some sort of plan to bring it to the Parks attention whether it be in the form of some kind of showing of support by exa,ple of power, like showing the sheer amount of people willing to step up &come to some kind of meeting or a petition. Just so long as this doesnt turn into a biatch session about everything under the sun, maybe we can come together with some Ideas.

Mine are this,

Lifeguard should be present at the surf beach and have the same abilities/powers as any other Lifeguard on the beach including a stand to sit high as the others do. Im sure if some national organization found out there was no lifeguard posted at a surfbeach they'd probabaly look horrified. Theyre needed everywhere durring summer Hours. ( I know this is a joke but, its an important example) there was a shark scare theother day & the LG's called the entire beach out of the water, except for the surf beach. the Parkies sat there with out a care. What if? Just what if? Imagine if someone needed serious medical attention God forbid. LG's should be there.

Up to 4 or 5 LARGE official signs need to be placed on the beach in a visable area so that beach goers with out a doubt know that this beach is the Surf beach & absolutely no bathing without a surfboard. (Maybe as a sidenote, no children under 13 years old without adult supervision but thats another safety debate) Make it publicly clear this is a surfing only beach.

The Parkies need to be well trained in what surfing is & how it effects a swimmer/surfer to be together in the water & the balance between the 2. Also they need responsabilities, they need to make sure beach goers are cleaning up theyre garbage, issuing tickets maybe for violations such as littering & breaking all beach rules like dogs on the beach & such, just keeping general order but in a proffesional mannor. Making sure that the beginers are moving to the beginner areas & hellping the life guards keep bathers out of the surfing areas at all time to avoid innocent adults & children from becoming victoms of their own ignorance to what a surfboard can do to a 6 or a 50 year olds body. CPR training wouldnt hurt and the discussion of some type of customer service should be addressed, alotta people feel like theyre being harassed by the parkies becuase they feel a lil powerfull wearing the shirt, some say theyve been victom of false rules. 1 guy harassed me & PoppaGB for standing there with Cameras in our hands & he had quite the lil attitude too.

More Space for surfing is desperately needed, not only becuase of the sheer amount of surfers & its growing poularity but also a safe place where beginners can learn out of the way of the more advanced surfers & serious danger. Maybe even offer some instruction with a lifegaurd employed by the city, theres a bunch of em who surf who rather be in the water or doing something if they thought it would help. I'm not sure but I think the majority of horrid surf related injuries last year were becuase the beginners didnt kow how to surf or where to be in the water cuasing themselves to be dears in a headlight situation. That & theres too many people squished into 1 area & thats a disaster waiting to happen mixed with the other bvathers issue, uhg It terrifies me. people drop into a wave & at the last minute try to avoid them but boards hit them & massive injuries were inflicted.

Also I'd like to discuus the fact they do want to exploit surfing as a sales pitch for the area, thats fine but if so we should use this to ur advantage, they want to show a top knoch beach with a real beach living atmosphere, we should have a top knoch beach with all the same bells & whistles as any other beach from Jerz to Cali. I think we have some leverage here & if we use our brains, Im sure we can influence change based on that.

1 Last thing,
    Public Offices I wouldnt mind seeign people who surf or are really into environmental issues start running for small offices or hell even larger ones out here. down the road that could have severe effects on the community & changes would be a heck of alot easier when it comes to people who have an understanding of a beach culture rather then people who do not.

As long as these issues can somehow come together with some other issues, make a clear game plan on how to display them, I'd be stoked. The Garbage cans are an issue for sure. Anyone got a copy of that 70's R0ck surf film that shows the exact same Garbage cans on the beach? thats unbelievable. Theyre out dated. we ned either more, or a beter designed can to stop the Birds from getting at it, and fines for litterers should be enforced. If I littered in front of an official in the city, I'd be ticketed. I saw a guy last week throw a gum wrapper in the subway & a plain clothes busted him & slammed him with a ticket. ;D

Psycho, this is more than enough for a first meeting and right on target. I say we stick to this.

On the more surfing thing, the recent Wave reports that the City is opening another surfing beach at Arverne before the end of the summer. Was this ever discussed on the board and I missed it? Who gets the credit for this?

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #44 on: June 19, 2007, 11:09:01 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • im only goin so pefa can buy me a beer....