Author Topic: R0CKAWAY SURF COMMUNITY MEETING 6/19 7pm  (Read 6180 times)

box

Re: R0CKAWAY SURF COMMUNITY MEETING 6/19 7pm
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 06:55:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • duhhh... ur gonna advertize less than 24 hrs in advance?... its not worth it...   theyll be torn down  ....  if u posted flyers up before the weekend was over then it might have had an impact...

you're right. let's just keep it behind closed doors with no possible chance of anyone off the messageboard to know about it. makes sense for a community meeting.

Box, you realize that your time would be better spent arguing with the door, don't you?

true.

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 28
    • Soft hated: 4
      • AOL Instant Messenger - NYsur4dude
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 07:02:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • what a farking retard...   go fine waist your time... advocate litter...   fyi its a nyc parks department rule and regulation that you are not allowed to post bills, signs, or any other non parks sanctioned material on parks property  including but not limmited to trees, benches, lamp polls, fencing, barricades, buildings (interrior or exterrior), tables vehicles ect. this offence is punnishable by a fine of no less than $50 per flier, bill, sign found
    Jake is back bitchesssssss

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 07:07:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm teaching 7-10 unfortunately...

Gags 101 or Advanced Shennanigans?

PS:
    Have you come and gone to Australia already?
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
    • Soft hated: 3
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 07:16:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Bummer. I will not be representing the 96th Street contingent, as I can't make it tomorrow. Hope it goes well.
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline pefa

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • ALOHA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 09:11:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • what a farking retard...   go fine waist your time... advocate litter...   fyi its a nyc parks department rule and regulation that you are not allowed to post bills, signs, or any other non parks sanctioned material on parks property  including but not limmited to trees, benches, lamp polls, fencing, barricades, buildings (interrior or exterrior), tables vehicles ect. this offence is punnishable by a fine of no less than $50 per flier, bill, sign found

i thought you quit, and while your at it, lighten up francis.......
    be there or be square..... uh, rounder......
    good idea and good intentions for a good cause.

what would a veteran parkie recommend as a better alternative? although i agree we don't want more litter.
    anyways, you better be there tomorrow jake- i'll even buy you a beer  ;D
    LIVE   ALOHA

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 07:12:13 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • what a farking retard...   go fine waist your time... advocate litter...   fyi its a nyc parks department rule and regulation that you are not allowed to post bills, signs, or any other non parks sanctioned material on parks property  including but not limmited to trees, benches, lamp polls, fencing, barricades, buildings (interrior or exterrior), tables vehicles ect. this offence is punnishable by a fine of no less than $50 per flier, bill, sign found

wow!

something actually penetrated that skull! but again, useless information, but there is still hope, well, maybe not  :D
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 07:57:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • what a farking retard...   go fine waist your time... advocate litter...   fyi its a nyc parks department rule and regulation that you are not allowed to post bills, signs, or any other non parks sanctioned material on parks property  including but not limmited to trees, benches, lamp polls, fencing, barricades, buildings (interrior or exterrior), tables vehicles ect. this offence is punnishable by a fine of no less than $50 per flier, bill, sign found

You can take the parkie out of the park but you can't take the park out of the parkie.

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 07:59:02 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I lived my whole digital life to write the ^above post.

Offline Bacon

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 263
    • Soft hated: 27
    • 5'2" or nothin' bru
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 08:25:13 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • hoping to make it.  work will have a real stranglehold on me today, but i'm really hoping to break free early.
    I need the sea because it teaches me.

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 09:23:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • NYCWIPE,

Would it be possible to print out or post up an Agenda for tonights meeting.

What is the Objective of this meeting?

Who will be starting off the meeting? Order?

How do we keep the group focused? Side conversations, beer, food etc... they are all great distractions?

How do we follow up with objectives?

box

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 09:33:20 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

You can take the parkie out of the park but you can't take the park out of the parkie.

*hand clap*

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 09:38:35 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This is what I'd like to see but this is just me, I dont know what other people would like to discuss. From tonights Meeting I'd like to address between 3 and 5 issues that can be organized & discussed with the parks department concerning the major safety issues as well as some social issues. Choose a few topics tonight that are up there in the importance level & try to conjour up some sort of plan to bring it to the Parks attention whether it be in the form of some kind of showing of support by exa,ple of power, like showing the sheer amount of people willing to step up &come to some kind of meeting or a petition. Just so long as this doesnt turn into a biatch session about everything under the sun, maybe we can come together with some Ideas.

Mine are this,

Lifeguard should be present at the surf beach and have the same abilities/powers as any other Lifeguard on the beach including a stand to sit high as the others do. Im sure if some national organization found out there was no lifeguard posted at a surfbeach they'd probabaly look horrified. Theyre needed everywhere durring summer Hours. ( I know this is a joke but, its an important example) there was a shark scare theother day & the LG's called the entire beach out of the water, except for the surf beach. the Parkies sat there with out a care. What if? Just what if? Imagine if someone needed serious medical attention God forbid. LG's should be there.

Up to 4 or 5 LARGE official signs need to be placed on the beach in a visable area so that beach goers with out a doubt know that this beach is the Surf beach & absolutely no bathing without a surfboard. (Maybe as a sidenote, no children under 13 years old without adult supervision but thats another safety debate) Make it publicly clear this is a surfing only beach.

The Parkies need to be well trained in what surfing is & how it effects a swimmer/surfer to be together in the water & the balance between the 2. Also they need responsabilities, they need to make sure beach goers are cleaning up theyre garbage, issuing tickets maybe for violations such as littering & breaking all beach rules like dogs on the beach & such, just keeping general order but in a proffesional mannor. Making sure that the beginers are moving to the beginner areas & hellping the life guards keep bathers out of the surfing areas at all time to avoid innocent adults & children from becoming victoms of their own ignorance to what a surfboard can do to a 6 or a 50 year olds body. CPR training wouldnt hurt and the discussion of some type of customer service should be addressed, alotta people feel like theyre being harassed by the parkies becuase they feel a lil powerfull wearing the shirt, some say theyve been victom of false rules. 1 guy harassed me & PoppaGB for standing there with Cameras in our hands & he had quite the lil attitude too.

More Space for surfing is desperately needed, not only becuase of the sheer amount of surfers & its growing poularity but also a safe place where beginners can learn out of the way of the more advanced surfers & serious danger. Maybe even offer some instruction with a lifegaurd employed by the city, theres a bunch of em who surf who rather be in the water or doing something if they thought it would help. I'm not sure but I think the majority of horrid surf related injuries last year were becuase the beginners didnt kow how to surf or where to be in the water cuasing themselves to be dears in a headlight situation. That & theres too many people squished into 1 area & thats a disaster waiting to happen mixed with the other bvathers issue, uhg It terrifies me. people drop into a wave & at the last minute try to avoid them but boards hit them & massive injuries were inflicted.

Also I'd like to discuus the fact they do want to exploit surfing as a sales pitch for the area, thats fine but if so we should use this to ur advantage, they want to show a top knoch beach with a real beach living atmosphere, we should have a top knoch beach with all the same bells & whistles as any other beach from Jerz to Cali. I think we have some leverage here & if we use our brains, Im sure we can influence change based on that.

1 Last thing,
    Public Offices I wouldnt mind seeign people who surf or are really into environmental issues start running for small offices or hell even larger ones out here. down the road that could have severe effects on the community & changes would be a heck of alot easier when it comes to people who have an understanding of a beach culture rather then people who do not.
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:56:19 AM by PSYCHO »

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 28
    • Soft hated: 4
      • AOL Instant Messenger - NYsur4dude
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 10:15:11 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  •  ;D ;D ... here is the actual rule verbatum.

S1-05 Regulated uses

(c) Unlawful Posting of notices or signs

(1) No Person shall post, Display, affix, construct or carry any placard, flag, banner,sign or model or display any such item by means of aircraft, kite, balloon or other arial device, in, on or above the surface of any park for any purpose whatsoever withought a permit issued by the commissioner. Each Separate item placed in violation of this section shall constitute violation.(2) Nothwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subdivision (c), any person may carry any item discribed in paragraph (1) of this section, without the aid of any aircraft,kite, balloon or other arial device, where the space on which the message of such item is contained has a height of no greater than two feet and a lenth of no longer than Three feet, and that such item takes up a total area of no more than six square feet.

(3) Any person who posts or displays a sign upon parks property, including the perimeters of any park, whether or not pursuant to a permit issued under the subdevision (c), shall be responsible for removeal of such sign pursuant to the conditions in such permit, or immediatly if no such permit has been issued. Failure to remove any sign that it posted or displayed on such property, or that remains on such property, other than in compliance with such permit, shall constitute a violation of these rules.

(4)In the event that a notice or sign is, in violation of this subdevision (c), posted or displayed on any property, including the perimetersof any park, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that any person whose name, telephone number, or other identifying information appears on such notice or sign has violated this subdivision by either (i) Patsting, posting, painting, printing or nailing notice of sign, or (ii) directing, suffering or permiting a servant, agent, employee or other individual under such persons controll to engage in such activity; provided, however, that such rebuttable presumption shall not apply with respect to criminal prosecutions brought pursuant to this paragraph (4).
    Jake is back bitchesssssss

box

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 10:25:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • psycho i'm not going to be there tonight but please please please bring up the garbage issue

MORE UPDATED GARBAGE CANS
    EARLY EVENING CLEANUP CREW
    ENFORCING LITTER TICKETS

are we making our own signs this weekend?

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Gravy, first initial W
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 10:26:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Has there ever been a comprehensive beach use/management plan developed by the Parks Department which involves different stakeholders?  Ever?  Or is the beach management policy in the *far western LI* an amalgamation of short-term fixes to different problems?

This is what I find oxymoronic: (non-fair weather/local) surfers use the beaches at different times than the general public.  Early morning, late night, during storms and fall-winter-spring.  I think that the surfing only beach is a good idea at peak summertime hours (10-6), even thought there should be 3-4 such beaches made available.  Otherwise, there should be an adaptive beach use strategy in place where beaches are opened/closed to surfers depending on the time of day and weather, and the crowds of beach goers in the area.

The current system is too rigid, and seems to have been developed by over-cautious lawyers and a department which does not seem to care to cater to the public and involve stakeholders in the planning process, and optimize the use of the beach for all different users.  
    "This wise clown of compassion is a genuine mahatma of the Cosmic Giggle."