Author Topic: Parks Dept./Surfing Beaches/Etc.  (Read 4695 times)

Offline 1s

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
Parks Dept./Surfing Beaches/Etc.
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I commend you folks for taking the time to try to work things out with the Parks Dept. There has been a history of harassment by the employees of the Parks Dept. against surfers, and in general, pleasant, beach going people out for a day of relaxation in the sun. It seems the people who cause the problems somehow don't seem to be harassed or ticketed but the good folks seem to be continually harassed. Is this a cultural/racial issue between who is doing the ticketing and who is getting ticketed? Are the Parks Dept. employees afraid of the "bad" people who litter, swear, play loud music, etc.? I'm not implying that's the situation, I'm just wondering if anyone else has gathered that conclusion from the Parkies behavior. Are they afraid of getting "shot up" by a certain type of person versus a surfer type or a beach goer with children and feel safer meeting quotas by exerting their "authority" on a more pleasant, cooperative victim?

If you talk to people who have grown up in Rockaway, they will tell you stories about the Parks people doing what they do for years and years. The Parkies come on strong at the beginning of summer to assert their authority, after a few weeks of abuse they start to disappear, when it gets really hot you won't find them, at least that's the typical pattern.

Since the NYS Health Code was changed (the supposed answer to all the problems), why not use it to your advantage when speaking to the Parks Dept. reps? You got your surf beach, bathers have their beaches, it's against the code to have bathers mixing with surfers. It really should just be an issue of who is responsible to patrol the surf beach to keep bathers out. The real goal is to keep bathers out of the surf beach. How can this be done on a crowded city beach on a hot summer day? That's a question left to the departments to argue over, some decade they'll figure it out. Why not have the lifeguards patrolling the adjoining beaches keep bathers in the bathing area, and have a parks employee sit on the steps to the surfing area telling people to walk to the bathing area if they want to swim? In a perfect world...

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    Re: Parks Dept./Surfing Beaches/Etc.
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • interesting you bring this up, as I have done in the past & just commented on their "selective" enforcement.

I always found it odd that they will scream at me & my little boys to get away from the water when they're barely touching it. Not to mention that they know I am there to surf. What ticks me off is that they will clearly & obviously not enforce people of similar skin color to theirs and when those people are waist deep or more. But yes, I notice it all the time
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PlainYogurt

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - Jdogg6387
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • they will scream at me for being right on the shore in ankle to knee deep water watching your kids and adams kids boogie board in the white wash...they bitch to me but they dont do anything for the safety of the kids when they are to close to the sticks...so at times i watch to make sure everything is ok...they continue to scream at me...this happened so much last year

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 01:36:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yeah, but when they keep writing down that you don't listen to them & they take that to their superiors, it's a pretty easy math lesson that the higher up parkies will just say that the surfers there are not compliant to the laws that are there to help them - next thing you know the Parks Dept renegs on the designated area.
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 28
    • Soft hated: 4
      • AOL Instant Messenger - NYsur4dude
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 01:48:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ya gotta do that the parkies say... basically heres how the rule reads

S1-03

(c) Failure to Comply with directions of police officers, Urban Park Rangers, Parks Enforcment Patroll Officer, or Other Department Employees, or Park Signs

(1) No person shall fail, neglect or refuse to comply with the lawfull direction or command of any police officer, Urban park ranger, parks enforcement patrol officer or other department employee, indicated by gesture of otherwise.

(2) No person shall fail to comply with or obey any instruction, direction, regulation, warning, or prohabition, written or printed, displayed or appearing on any park sign, except such sign may be disregaurded upon order of a police officer or designated department employee.
    Jake is back bitchesssssss

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 02:01:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • White people are mean to me when I get on elevators. Wah
    White people almost never help me when I am shopping. Wah Wah
    White cops give me a hard time and sometimes pull me over for no reason at all. Wah Wah Wah

White people have often benefited greatly from the subjection's of black people and other people of color.  Wah

White people, wherever they have landed, have left a roaring river of blood in their wake. From Africa to Australia to the Americas both North and South white people have been at the forefront of absolute and complete genocide of hundreds of millions of people. The horrors of the Jewish Holocaust are but a drop in the bucket, a tip of an iceberg of the unimaginable crimes against humanity a tiny "race" of people have committed on the world majority.

If I was white like 1s, I would look into my own soul and question the barbarity and history of savagery from which I come. I would question the system, created to benefit and propagate my existence. I would make it a point to completely understand the unofficial caste system in place that gives me the right to subtlety  sh1t on anyone I feel is below me.

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 02:18:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • White people are mean to me when I get on elevators. Wah
    White people almost never help me when I am shopping. Wah Wah
    White cops give me a hard time and sometimes pull me over for no reason at all. Wah Wah Wah

White people have often benefited greatly from the subjection's of black people and other people of color.  Wah

White people, wherever they have landed, have left a roaring river of blood in their wake. From Africa to Australia to the Americas both North and South white people have been at the forefront of absolute and complete genocide of hundreds of millions of people. The horrors of the Jewish Holocaust are but a drop in the bucket, a tip of an iceberg of the unimaginable crimes against humanity a tiny "race" of people have committed on the world majority.

If I was white like 1s, I would look into my own soul and question the barbarity and history of savagery from which I come. I would question the system, created to benefit and propagate my existence. I would make it a point to completely understand the unofficial caste system in place that gives me the right to subtlety  sh1t on anyone I feel is below me.
    I don't know BB, but you might be going just a tad beyond this particular discussion. Just a tad.
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 02:24:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • who me hijack a thread that had race baiting written all over it, NEVER!

Offline waterwolfnyc

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 5
    • There was madness in any direction, at any hour.
      • MSN Messenger - waterwolfnyc@hotmail.com
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 02:24:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Whoa. I'm starting to see a pattern here I think.

but lets change things up here for the sake of the parks dept.

What is your opinion of a person of color trapped in a white man's body?
    "If a man could pass through Paradise in a dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his soul had really been there, and if he found that flower in his hand when he awake - Aye, what then?" - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

jscottk

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 02:24:25 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This is goingto get us nowhere, please just shut the door that this thread opened
    If this is brought up, then everybody can just forget about accomplishing a single effing thing...

If NYCwipeout and BB want to settle this later by standing next to each other in knee deep water in the surfing zone..and then seeing which one the parkies tell to get out of the water first ..do it on your own time...

But we will have to find some other races and gay peeps to throw in the mix..maybe a drag queen undecided gender as well...

Line em all up and see who gets the whistlwe first after the parkies are done with their Italian ice (sorry frocckkie no offense but thats what its called)
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 02:31:50 PM by jscottk »

Offline RayG

• Hoon
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 189
    • Soft hated: 10
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 02:32:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• What is your opinion of a person of color trapped in a white man's body?

Devils food cake?
    Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 777
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 02:41:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I don't know about that, Tex - in using an over the top (but not at all inaccurate). approach, BB is pointing out that racism was, is, and still needs to be an ongoing discussion, but is mostly irrelevent to THIS discussion.

The race issue - true or not - is at most a minor sidebar to what's going on - what we need is immediate and appropriate education of the Parks Dept personnel on the rules and regs, and even more immediate and uniform enforcement, for the safety and and wellbeing of children and bathers - before a tragedy occurs.

How we go about resolving those two issues needs to be our focus, and if globally people want to address perceived or actual selective enforcement issues, then that could and should be a different discussion.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • SeaCliff is the Mr. Miagi to my Karate Kid, I would have liked no loved to have taken that tack but I am so dam confrontational.

Still he speaks truth to power with just the right amount of force. Me, on the other hand, I just like bulldozers.

Thanks SC

jscottk

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 02:49:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • wipe on wipe off

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 28
    • Soft hated: 4