Author Topic: new and need help  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Nighttrain

• Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.155 Chrome 44.0.2403.155
    • View Profile
    • Email
new and need help
« on: July 18, 2016, 02:45:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey all, new to the forum and everything about surfing. never tried it but its something ive always wanted to do since i could remember. im 32 now and i figure if i dont force myself and make time it will never happen. no car and live in brooklyn but willing to take the train and be a "weekend warrior" if thats what it takes to learn. im sure im not the first guy in my position.

so im hoping someone can point me in the right direction and the best way for me to get started. is there somewhere i can rent a board for the weekend by rockaway beach? will i need a wetsuit even in the summer? should i invest in some lessons or is this something i can learn on my own? really wish i knew some surfers to show me the ropes but most city folk are not about this lifestyle as im sure most of you know.

any help is much appreciated.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 777
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.11.5 Mac OS X 10.11.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.1.1 Safari 9.1.1
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    Re: new and need help
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 03:07:54 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey all, new to the forum and everything about surfing. never tried it but its something ive always wanted to do since i could remember. im 32 now and i figure if i dont force myself and make time it will never happen. no car and live in brooklyn but willing to take the train and be a "weekend warrior" if thats what it takes to learn. im sure im not the first guy in my position.

so im hoping someone can point me in the right direction and the best way for me to get started. is there somewhere i can rent a board for the weekend by rockaway beach? will i need a wetsuit even in the summer? should i invest in some lessons or is this something i can learn on my own? really wish i knew some surfers to show me the ropes but most city folk are not about this lifestyle as im sure most of you know.

any help is much appreciated.

Yes - invest in some lessons - there's a couple of surf schools in Rockaway operating on B67th St.that will definitely help you out.

As for board rentals - yes, you can get those in Rockaway as well - but get the lessons first. They will provide you will the appropriate board (a longboard foam top) for your lesson - and they can also point you at where to rent boards in the future.

For now - don't worry about a wetsuit - the water is warm as heck.

Hope this helps!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Nighttrain

• Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 03:44:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • hey seacliff thanks for the tips.

if i decide to fully commit to surfing after some lessons is there somewhere i can rent a locker for board storage after i buy one? not sure how it all works. i doubt id be able to haul a long board around on the train.

also in terms of learning the basics hows the learning curve? how long would it take me to get the basics down?

Online Mayday

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 115
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 03:53:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • hey seacliff thanks for the tips.

if i decide to fully commit to surfing after some lessons is there somewhere i can rent a locker for board storage after i buy one? not sure how it all works. i doubt id be able to haul a long board around on the train.

also in terms of learning the basics hows the learning curve? how long would it take me to get the basics down?

I think it's boarders in rockaway where people store their boards.

As for learning the basics that's gonna come down to how much previous water experience you have (bodysurfing / bodyboarding) because that will help in reading the conditions, being in the right place, etc. To be honest if you don't have much experience and you can only be a "weekend warrior" it's gonna be an uphill battle that's maybe not worth it.  How often does the swell line up on the weekend. How often can you get there at the right tides.  How many days will you not go bc it's too big for a beginner or too small to bother. Sorry but it's the hard fact of surfing in NY and you being far away from the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 75Jbass

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 12
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.11.2 Mac OS X 10.11.2
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0.2 Safari 9.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 04:42:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • As I tell my friends who suddenly decide they want to surf at this point in life:

Go paddle out to the lineup and bodysurf a wave into shore.

Why?

Because that's how every surfer starts learning when they're about 25 years younger than you. So if you won't even do that right now there probably isn't enough time left in your life to start surfing.

Ahh, forget it.

OK, forgotten.

Offline Nighttrain

• Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 06:09:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • dont really care about mastering it or not. lots of my hobbies involve being on/in the water. just want to learn how to surf if only the most basic part of it. its probably not gonna become a lifestyle thing for me but you never know i might get the hang of it.

Offline jonnyslasher

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 44
    • Mac OS X 10.10.4 Mac OS X 10.10.4
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 51.0.2704.103 Chrome 51.0.2704.103
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:34:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • There are those that will try to dissuade you from starting, I am not that person.

However, you should pay attention to what @Mayday and @75Jbass are advising ... learning to surf in any scenario is insanely humbling and takes a lot of time and effort to develop even the most basic competence (primarily to not be a nuisance to others and an overall danger). At your stage in life, it will likely take near monomaniacal focus to "get the hang of it."

This is a forum with many surfers of that level of commitment and you would, guaranteed, and rightly, hear versions of this disclaimer from every single one of them.

Offline Nighttrain

• Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 08:01:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yea let me rephrase that. i dont mind if i end up sucking. im pretty enthusiastic and willing to put in the time but im also trying to be realistic. if i could i would move somewhere known for good surfing and be out every day. with my job and living far from the rockaways i'll only be able to head out on the weekends and days off. not taking this lightly i know its a big undertaking at my age but i train in boxing, play sports and stay active. not in in my prime but not so far removed either.

im asking here because i heard the rockaway surfers werent as "cliquey" as most other places.

Online Mayday

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 115
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • It's not about fitness as it is about time in the water. And what people are trying to point out is that the ocean doesn't always cooperate and work on our "free time" schedule. This gets worse with family obligations.

Anyhoots, if you are determined, here's some pointers:
    Learn on the longest board you can find. The longer it is the better it floats the more waves you catch.
    Surf away from other people. You're dangerous when you're new even if you don't think you are.
    Know your limits and don't head out in surf that is simply beyond your experience.
    Google some pointers on surf etiquette.
    Watch the sunrise / sunset times as certain times of year you can be in the water at 5am and out till 9 at night. Other times of year not so much.
    Tide will make or break the surf, learn what works and what doesn't.
    Be respectful in the lineup and in most cases you'll receive the same in return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PumpdUpKicks

• Liked: 3
    • Totes McGotes
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Take some lessons, get the feeling of "catching" a wave (don't even bother standing up until you learned how to catch) and you'll be alright. On a big foamie you'll have no problem getting waves to ride.
    Good luck!

Offline Nighttrain

• Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 09:14:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yea ofc im not planning to be out with experienced riders. ill take my time to learn on the beach and the skinny water. as an avid fisherman and seasonal swimmer i know all about water and weather conditions.

im just trying to break into this into this sport and meet people who know what theyre doing and maybe get some pointers. are surfers generally friendly to beginners out on the water?

Offline frontsidecrotchgrab

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 19
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 09:49:47 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm just trying to break into this into this sport and meet people who know what theyre doing and maybe get some pointers. are surfers generally friendly to beginners out on the water?

No.

Offline Nighttrain

• Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 10:31:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • thanks to everyone that took the time to reply

Offline jonnyslasher

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 44
    • Mac OS X 10.10.4 Mac OS X 10.10.4
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 51.0.2704.103 Chrome 51.0.2704.103
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Good luck and happy shredding @Nighttrain 

Write us back with a stoke report about your first tube or noseride or whatever when you get there ... ;) 

Offline jeffbhall

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 28
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 47.0 Firefox 47.0
      • View Profile
      • Twitter
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 03:13:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • @Nighttrain, I started surfing almost 10 years ago when I was 43, so yes, you can still learn to surf at your age.   I was already a strong swimmer, and very comfortable in the ocean when I started, but you can become proficient at surfing, even good, if you have the desire to get there. 

But I do have one question...WHY do you want to start surfing?