Author Topic: GREAT START  (Read 2435 times)

Offline PoppaGB

• Site Photographer
  • Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 7
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
GREAT START
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:27:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Just wanted to pass along my kudos to the organizers and participants at last night's "inaugural" meeting.
    I believe a lot was accomplished for a "first attempt" at organizing to present "our" concerns to those who can implement change for the better.

I look forward to the next meeting!

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    Re: GREAT START
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 08:31:05 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So do I!

Let's keep it up and not lose interest.

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 28
    • Soft hated: 4
      • AOL Instant Messenger - NYsur4dude
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:12:20 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • damn skippy
    Jake is back bitchesssssss

jscottk

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 05:18:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • can I see more pictures of the funny cat? he made me laugh...

Offline pefa

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • ALOHA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:07:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • thanks pappa & everyone for making last night a big success.
    thanks nycwo for the aids- the meeting wouldn't have gone so well without them or your organizational superpowers
    now the most important thing is following up on the proposed list of issues (i think nycwo said he would organize some type of minutes/summary- he da man).  any ideas or concerns relative to those are needed by all who care to participate- we just have to figure out the best way to compile them- any ideas........ drop box, posts, emails, etc....
    it seemed as if it was agreed upon to host the next nyc surfrider meeting in the crockpot as an exploratory session, so it would be great if we could have at least one or two more meetings to organize a list of priorities, etc.(hopefully kept to a minimun, for now, for the sake of efficiency and effectiveness) and come up with a more formal agenda/ format the majoraty can agree upon for how to proceed.......(unfortunately, can't always be everyone, so we gotta stick to democracy)
    personally, i would love to see a meeting every week for now, as the more organized and prep'd we are, the better
    any thoughts/ feedback on anything relovant would be greatly appreciated.

mahalo all
    LIVE   ALOHA

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:08:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • huh

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 07:28:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • thanks pefa but it's all of us who attended that should be congratulated.

and indeed, I will post the 'minutes' & so called 'priority list' - I was hammered today at work so I couldn't get to it. I will do so tomorrow & post in a seperate thread that will be HEAVILY moderated to ween out bitching - we need constructive input, and we had it overflowing last night, so CHEERS to you all!!!

as for meeting again, I thought we all agreed to do it in 3 weeks,  this was because of july 4th weekend. and this would also allow for cumulative input through various points, such as here on the web & maybe some 'suggestion' boxes at the Tap, Boarders & even Maryannes in the city. This was to give us enough to go on a week before the surfrider meeting in R0ck.

oh yeah, and the other reason was to be able to reach out to a larger audience that isn't online here.
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline pefa

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • ALOHA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 08:03:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • giddy up,  your right.
    whatever the timeframe is. as long as the ball is continually rolling were making progress. i guess i'm thinking on how to initiate that cumulative process. how do we announce & spread word, and what exactly are we asking for and under what timeframe are we going to begin soliciting such. i do think it may be necessary to org this.
    LIVE   ALOHA

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:16:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i think that maybe some pre meeting meetings might be needed to discuss what went on and how we want to run the next meeting...  not many people just the 4 or 5 main people

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 775
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 08:29:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Excellent first meeting, and great job NYCWO and everyone else involved in organizing. My apologies for having to leave early, and as always, please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I know there was some talk of a web-based module for logging individual issues as a way of having on ongoing record - I'm already working on it - I'll see what I can come up with.

As far as priorities, it was good to see so many ideas come to the fore that need and deserve attention, but I continue to maintain that priority #1 has to be to work closely with the Parks Dept to get someone in charge of keeping bathers out of the surf zone for their own safety, before a tragedy occurs. It doesnt matter to me whether it's Lifeguards or Greenbacks, but we need someone to be there and constantly enforce. My big fear is this: In the absence of enforcement, sooner or later not only will someone be tragically hurt, but shortly after it happens, a different type of tragedy will occur: the surf zone will be taken away "for public safety".

I'd be in favor of working something up on this issue and approaching Jill Weber ASAP. I'm uncomfortable waiting 3 weeks or more on this particular issue. At the very least, we all should be on record as having expressed our concern for the safety of the bathers.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Regular (Silver)
    • Gravy, first initial W
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 11:31:36 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • That was a really interesting meeting last night.  As far as approaching Jill Weber ASAP, here is your chance Seacliff...just what the doctor ordered.

I just got word from Norman Chan with Partnership for Parks that they are conducting community meetings in association with the City's PlaNYC2030.  Jill Weber will be involved, and I really do think she deserves credit for making an effort to be approachable.  This would be a great opportunity to get our voices heard.  I will likely be gone during that period, but hope that we have a good number of people attending this:

Community Listening Sessions

Regarding Future Plans for the Rockaways

Sunday, June 24, 2007
    3:00 p.m. 5:00 p.m.

and

Wednesday, June 27, 2007
     7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.

Peninsula Hospital
    Meditation Room
    51-15 Beach Channel Drive.
    Rockaway, NY 11691

RSVP at 718-318-4000 or
    [email protected]
    "This wise clown of compassion is a genuine mahatma of the Cosmic Giggle."

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 01:05:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • bummer, I won't be around at all that week.

As it might be good to mention *something* to Jill in regards to the safety issue & how the people/swimmers are not properly regulated in that area, we might...ummm, actually, I think we should hold back on the other topics till we get a better organized "voice".

I also want to say this bit in fear of scenes past; while it was a healthy & somewhat organized event last night that left some people (including myself) with a bit of euphoric stoke, we still need to act as a group & not have individuals branch off and try & get heroic by mentioning some things in our discussions to Jill's face, which could completely backfire everything. Let's have a community voice, lets make it strong by numbers & loud by reason.
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline pefa

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • ALOHA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:17:38 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ...ummm, actually, I think we should hold back on the other topics till we get a better organized "voice".

I also want to say this bit in fear of scenes past; while it was a healthy & somewhat organized event last night that left some people (including myself) with a bit of euphoric stoke, we still need to act as a group & not have individuals branch off and try & get heroic by mentioning some things in our discussions to Jill's face, which could completely backfire everything. Let's have a community voice, lets make it strong by numbers & loud by reason.

ah-men brother.
    i say nothing is said to jill unless it is in a context that is agreed upon by the majority.- too many potential downsides....
    LIVE   ALOHA

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Regular (Silver)
    • Gravy, first initial W
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I don't think that the "Listening Session" is the best venue to propose solutions...those have to be better fleshed out.  But it is a good venue to state what the problems are and what might be the best ways for reaching decisions on those problems.  For example, creating a workgroup with local organization representatives to address beach access and management might be the right way to go, rather than having every group individually solicit and lobby the parks department and their lawyers play arbitrer.

The good news is that I think we are all in agreement with what 95% of the problems are, so I think we can at least stand on that.  Plus some issues are fairly straightforward to address: trash, parkies behavior.

Otherwise, at future meetings we really need to think through some of the issues.  The lifeguard v parkies at the surf beach issue in particular is trickier than it should be, and any response could cause unintended consequences.  For example, if we ask for lifeguards at the surf beach the wrong way it could boomerang against us and be justification for no surfing after hours.  But lifeguards at the beach makes sense from a safety point of view.

Sorry pefa, I understand your concern but saying absolutely nothing to Jill is not the best track.  Besides there is plenty that most everybody already agrees upon (i.e. what are the problems-Alex wrote that down).  We need to show that we are open to dialogue at least.  At these meetings it is better to just keep it simple, state the problems, and avoid suggesting on the spot fixes to the problems.  Also, it would be better to ask the Park department a lot of questions rather than the other way around....these are listening sessions, we should get the Parks to talk and we listen to their responses in order to have a better idea of how to address the problems and the Parks Dept.
    « Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:15:41 PM by Bababobo »
    "This wise clown of compassion is a genuine mahatma of the Cosmic Giggle."

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Please , everyone needs to get off this, "Do Nothing" conversation, No is saying to do nothing. Everyones saying, we must be carefull & not get ahead of ourselves, If we cannot even listen to someone dissagreeing about the way it can be handled & not have a frickin conversation that doesnt revolve back the same "Do nothing" discussion then count me out. Its obviously not going to work. I played devils Advocate here for the sake of reality & reach up above some of the back patting & im getting faced with No conversation or smart remarks. That makes Pizzed off SNS right in alot of aspects when it came to his dissaproval. Sure he sucked at displaying it but if you cant listen to it & then think deeply in your mind about how to make it comfortable for him & rebut it with out getting confrontational, then we'er all missing the boat. talk is cheap.  well thought out action will get youi everywhere but you have to pay attention to eerything even the thing you like or dislike. work with the negative & move safely from there.

why not choose 1 or 2 main topics. 1 for surfing, 1 for environment.

Like,
     1 Trained Parkies for better, safer surf experience for everyone.

2. Garbage can situation

So we can get more focused & brainstorm a way to bring it to fruition with out 2 hours of discussing everything & coming out of the meeting with a vague agenda?
    « Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 01:05:43 PM by PSYCHO »