Author Topic: Girl Gang Films by Katrina Del Mar premiering at The Dome in Rockaway, Sat May 4th!  (Read 348 times)

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 774
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 26.0.1410.65 Chrome 26.0.1410.65
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
From Katrina's facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/events/570271716340298/

The Films of Katrina del Mar are playing at the MoMA PS1 VW Dome 2 in Rockaway

Rockaway Beach between Beach 94th St. and Beach 95th St. at Shore Front Parkway - Sat, May 4th, 2013 7PM - 10PM

MoMA PS1 VW Dome 2 and Participant Inc. are proud to present a screening of Katrina del Mar’s GIRL GANG TRILOGY of films Saturday May 4th 7-10pm at the MoMA PS1 VW Dome in Rockaway.

Comprised of three experimental, narrative, underground films: Hell on Wheels Gang Girls Forever (HDV/Super 8mm 36 minutes 2010) SURF GANG (DV/Super 8mm 24 minutes 2005), and Gang Girls 2000 (Super 8mm 27 minutes 1999)

The films of the GIRL GANG TRILOGY were all completely independently made but big and ambitious; with large casts and almost mythical themes but firmly planted in a comic, B-Movie, D.I.Y. punk-rock ethos.

“I cast my girlfriends as gang girls, in leather and muscle cars. My armies of girls, in coordinated outfits, are ready to do battle for what they believe in: freedom, new turf, glitter, a good wave, a good ride, their girl gang, their favorite dog. I make films that are unselfconsciously queer, unapologetically feminist; riotous and robustly unkempt.”

Jenifer P. Borum has noted of del Mar’s work: “With each passing year, Del Mar’s New York run by girl gangs becomes more real than the New York that is gradually but undeniably being taken over by banks and transformed into a giant mall. The gritty streets and famous beaches are disappearing fast. Del Mar has captured New York’s last gasp of authenticity, transforming it for eternity. Her world is a place where Blackie, the lost leader of the Rockaway Ruffnecks, can still climb out of the sea and save us.”

Katrina will also be screening a 3 minute Super 8mm film portrait of local Rockaway surfer & guitar player Simon Chardiet.

Also with short films by Rick Charnoski. ("Deathbowl to Downtown")

Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline jammy

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 51
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 20.0 Firefox 20.0
    • View Profile
wow there are three of those?
NLITB