Author Topic: After Hours surfing is being regulated now.  (Read 1853 times)

Offline pefa

• Local Access
  • Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • ALOHA
    • View Profile
Re: After Hours surfing is being regulated now.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 07:19:58 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Parkies are off at 10pm. if the police would have seen it, they'd come to get you. when Im night surfing I try to hide if I see the cops shining a light on the water. I dont need the hastle. I just wanna surf.

cops watched sat night & always watch. a few times in the past w/ aroura & i have been out they even helped us out & called a set. don't mind surfers, only swimmers. as long as the are from pct, and not temp summer beach detail, they seem not to mind. its the tad's

tonight???

parkie management, or lack of it, as jscott pointed out, is the heart of the prob.

Offline 1s

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Surfing is not illegal. Be nice and tell the person hassling you that surfing is allowed on beaches not open to bathing, that is the law.

The establishment of surfing beaches was to let surfers have an area open specifically for surfing, in the busy summer months, when most beaches are open for swimming and guarded by lifeguards. This was to separate bathers from surfers as is required by law. This was not to restrict surfers to beaches closed to bathing, or after hours. You don't have to surf at the surfing beaches after hours or when beaches are closed.

You can refuse to leave a closed beach that you are surfing, they may ticket you if they fell like it, but they can't ticket you for surfing, they can ticket you for failing to obey an officer, but they need some reasonable reason to ask you to leave, not because you are surfing, you have to be breaking the law.

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 11:13:42 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • explain that to all the people a few years ago who had the police boats called in for surfing the Box when there was no swimming allowed in that aea. I was chased out as well. I was just lucky enough to not get cuaght. Many of them got tickets. For what I dont know. There were no police at 1rst asking us to leave, Just Parks dep. workers, they called the police, the police came in boats, the people who were cuaght got tickets for what I dont know.

I know some people have had instances where a police officer was cool but theres been a bazillion others who were not. If your on a beach at night & the police see you, they rally you off the closed beach. In order to surf at night, you must break a rule to get there & break one to get out. Beach is closed, NO ACCESS, this isnt hard to understand. Almost all public parks open & close at a certain time. I dont know why Im getting a vibe like I dont know what Im talking about here. It happened more then once recently even in the newer surf beach where the partkies called people out of th water for surfing. recently they called surfers out of the non surf regulated area & forced them into one, after hours. Theres no question about it, that never happened before. Ive been asked to get out of the water for surfing at night & have hid from the spot lights at night as well to avoid it.

If its never happened to you, you just havent experienced it yet. Not to mention, its your word against theres, who knows where you could end up. If you say, Its legal to surf & they slap you with a trespassing violation, lets see ya get out of that? Thats why Im saying that I will be keeping it quiet from here on out. I dont need the negetive attention.

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 11:36:27 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have gathered some more information on this stuff.  Are we gonna have a get together soon?  Or should i bring it to the surfrider chapter meeting which i believe is gonna be at T&G on the 11th.  I'll post up more details in a bit.

Offline pefa

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • ALOHA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 11:52:20 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yeah, i say we get together as soon as is convenient for the majority
    psycho hit the nail on the head about the access & luck.
    if they are called,its over. if they are just going by on patrol its the luck of the draw.
    in the past its been pure luck that alot of the local cops, not temp assigned summer detail, are cool and 'look the other way'
    all this rockin the boat however, is bound to turn a few more heads in our direction, so i think like pscho said, keep on the dl and try not to get spotted. also i've found a smile goes a long way w/ the parkies. a few of the ones that that have been getting to know us are pretty cool and actually want to learn how to swim in the ocean- go figure

all the more reason to keep getting together to solidify our community.

LIVE   ALOHA

Offline 1s

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • explain that to all the people a few years ago who had the police boats called in for surfing the Box when there was no swimming allowed in that aea. I was chased out as well. I was just lucky enough to not get cuaght. Many of them got tickets. For what I dont know. There were no police at 1rst asking us to leave, Just Parks dep. workers, they called the police, the police came in boats, the people who were cuaght got tickets for what I dont know.

I know some people have had instances where a police officer was cool but theres been a bazillion others who were not. If your on a beach at night & the police see you, they rally you off the closed beach. In order to surf at night, you must break a rule to get there & break one to get out. Beach is closed, NO ACCESS, this isnt hard to understand. Almost all public parks open & close at a certain time. I dont know why Im getting a vibe like I dont know what Im talking about here. It happened more then once recently even in the newer surf beach where the partkies called people out of th water for surfing. recently they called surfers out of the non surf regulated area & forced them into one, after hours. Theres no question about it, that never happened before. Ive been asked to get out of the water for surfing at night & have hid from the spot lights at night as well to avoid it.

If its never happened to you, you just havent experienced it yet. Not to mention, its your word against theres, who knows where you could end up. If you say, Its legal to surf & they slap you with a trespassing violation, lets see ya get out of that? Thats why Im saying that I will be keeping it quiet from here on out. I dont need the negetive attention.

I was there the day the forces showed up en mass and was surfing a few beaches east. I was not bothered, but did see the action as I paddled west in search of some better stuff and was also chased out, quite amusing! I had a talk with someone from parks and my friend was threatened with arrest but talked logic and they gave up, then I went surfing to another country, that was much better. That occurred before the change in the health code when surfing was not yet "legal".

As for surfing at night, yes you do have to break a "law" and cross part of the closed park to get to the water, so technically they ticket you for being in the park after hours, which you are, can't fight that, but you can go surfing, that's not illegal.

Technically, if you're breaking the law they can ticket you, but not for surfing, Paddle in at a point further west if you're that concerned about getting a ticket for being in the city park. It's totally ridiculous.

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 12:26:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have gathered some more information on this stuff.  Are we gonna have a get together soon?  Or should i bring it to the surfrider chapter meeting which i believe is gonna be at T&G on the 11th.  I'll post up more details in a bit.

What about meeting up on the 9th before the SR meeting on the 11th?
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline pefa

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • ALOHA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i'm def down for the 9th....
    anyone else?
    LIVE   ALOHA

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 01:48:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i'm def down for the 9th....
    anyone else?
    I would but I have a doctors appointment that evening. 
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline PoppaGB

• Site Photographer
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 7
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 01:51:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 9th is fine with me.  Place & time?

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • same place?

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PoppaGB

• Site Photographer
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 02:24:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • T&G at 7:30pm?

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 03:45:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • on a Saturday night? eff it... I'll still be in bed by 12am

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 03:53:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • wha?

dude, monday is the 9th, duh!  ;D

Offline PoppaGB

• Site Photographer
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 07:42:41 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • SO?  Is this meeting going to happen?  Monday 7:30pm at the Tap & Grill