Author Topic: After Hours?  (Read 5088 times)

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 25
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Just add water
    • View Profile
    • Earthmovers
Re: After Hours?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 12:06:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Im not saying that its a horrible thing, Im just saying its an issue that might be a lil premature is all. I dont think theyre ready for this yet. Im affraid it'll bring too much attention to other things & may cuase regulations too soon. I really dont see how this issue is Number 1 on the list tho, Ive never been sitting on the beach or in the watwer surfing & outta the blue heard someone say, "Ya know, I wish swimmers could swim at all hours. I think its important."

Ive only heard the issues that brought this all to fruition, "The parkies arent doing their jobs, I got hurt or hurt someone, someones gonna get Killed." or "This Garbage is completely unexceptable, the city should be doing more to change this." But Ive never heard this untill recently & now its priority. I just dont trust this issue, Im afraid that if it was some how bungled in the red tape, it could harm surfing & that wont do for any of us. Thats all. On a scale of 1 to 10, I could probabaly think a bunch of things more important that swimming after hours for non surfers?

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 12:11:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I definitely agree that it's premature to be bringing anything like this up until there is a strategy and plan in place on how to proceed.

As far as the priority list, i guess it depends on who you talk to.  I understand your point though.  I would agree if we are only representing surfers interests which kinda gets back to my question at the meeting.  What is our mission, who do we want to represent, and how do we reach out to those people to get their input?

Offline PlainYogurt

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - Jdogg6387
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 12:37:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i cant say this for everyone who lives in *far western LI*, especially if they have lived here for many, many years....I know that i have  went SWIMMING very little when the lifeguards were off duty...Maybe the majority of off hour swimmers are people who travel to *far western LI*..I am not sure if residents are interested in swimming during off hours since they are a very short distance to the beach..

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Good point. I know BJ just wants to swim in the surf beach. I dont know why, but he does.

jscottk

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 02:01:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Less Regulation
    Less rules
    thats my goal

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 02:45:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Me too, but I think with the Parks its gonna be 1 step forward 3 steps back when it comes to surfing. Im only in this for the surfing thing, Not to add attention to anything. Im still boarder line on all of this. I tghink being surfers, we should stick to surf topics, things that strategically will let surfing be chill here. I dont think we should really speak for the ciommunity & all exceot for more garbage cans but thats just the surfer in me who can stand a wonderfull beach covered in trash. other then that I dont know about all of this. I think we're possabley getting a lil ahead of ourselves. Even if things in the community are changing, I still dont think this is ffecting too many things. Im in this for the surf, thats all. Once Arvern & all those things get opened & built & a community is established then we'll proabaly start noticing a whole different community get involved with the loacl politricks but untill then, what are we really doing? After hours swimming? Lifeguard changes? Surf access? I dont know, I thinkk we need to focus on the original smaller scale things that brought us to the discussion, Garbage & parkies training & managment. I really fear to much exposure to too many things will cuase more regulations. 

I guess Im one of the only ones but I still gotta voice it ya know?

elkisthebastard

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Less Regulation
    Less rules
    thats my goal

Bringing ideas and proposals to the parks department is not going to help you achieve that goal.  The more you tell them things have to change the more rules you're going to end up with.  The State of New York doesn't look at this as a quality of life issue, they're going to look at it as an insurance liability issue.  Eventually you're going to have some board member say, "Wait...people surf there year round without supervision?  We can't have that.  If they get hurt they could sue the state..." and then we're screwed.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but it may be worth it to tough it out for three months a year to maintain the freedom we have the rest of the year.  This could end up being like poking a hornet's nest with a very well intentioned stick.

But...I don't live there.  I've only been hanging out there a very short period of time.

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 02:54:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Bingo!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 02:57:03 PM by PSYCHO »

Offline PoppaGB

• Site Photographer
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 7
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 02:56:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Don't know if you saw this post on the other thread, so I put it here also.

I spoke with the President of the *far western LI* Property Owners re: swimmimg after 6pm.  She said they have had it on their agenda for a few years now, but have only hit roadblocks whenever they attempt to get this rule changed.  I asked her if she would be willing to join forces with other community groups/organizations to put forth a request to have the rule changed and she said she would bring it to her members and get back to me.  She added that personally she would like to get the entire community to join together.

CAUTION!!!!!  She asked me how surfers feel about being told to get out of the water at 6pm.?
    When told her surfers are not made to get out of the water she was shocked.  She had no idea this is going on.  She asked why should things be different for surfers?  I explained to her that since the surfing beach is not protected by lifeguards (at all) it doesn't fall under the same restrictions.  Her response was: Well that's hat we "non-surfing" residents want.  I'm going to ask Audrey Pheffer to look into this.  That's not right!

I am waiting to here from the *far western LI* Park Homeowners Assoc

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 02:57:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
    "CAUTION!!!!!  She asked me how surfers feel about being told to get out of the water at 6pm.?
    When told her surfers are not made to get out of the water she was shocked.  She had no idea this is going on.  She asked why should things be different for surfers?  I explained to her that since the surfing beach is not protected by lifeguards (at all) it doesn't fall under the same restrictions.  Her response was: Well that's hat we "non-surfing" residents want.  I'm going to ask Audrey Pheffer to look into this.  That's not right! "
    Fuk we're screwed!
    Yeah I'd rather drown surfing then in red tape. Damn it! See, this is what Im talking about, Eff that drop it! Im out! Done.

Offline PoppaGB

• Site Photographer
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 7
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Her contact in Parks is Jill, so I wouldn't worry too much.  Point is they have tried for years to get the powers that be to let them swim after 6pm with nothing to show for it.  She told me they hit closed doors and roadblocks everytime.

For the record, I think we should just ask Jill to make sure swimmers are kept out of the surf area.  That would solve a BIG issue.

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 03:04:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thats all I wanted. Lets friockin drop it before the parkies start bullhorning us out of DP's. I swear to effin God! Am I the only one whos loosin it? I feel completely farkin sick to my stomach.
    « Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:30:21 PM by PSYCHO »

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 03:36:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • uh-oh!

not good!
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • NOT EFFIN GOOD!!!!
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 03:44:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This has been coming for a while.
    But a simpler answer to her question would be the 6ft-10ft floatation device strapped to a surfer's foot.

Here's a story that gives some hope:

The New Jersey Supreme Court recently rendered a decision on the issue of municipal liability for injuries sustained by swimmers and surfers during periods of high surf. The court's decision, which largely immunizes the government from damages, is a huge victory for access to town controlled beaches.
          The Supreme Court ruling held that ocean conditions, and not the City of Cape May or lifeguards on duty, were responsible for a surfer who broke his neck in storm-driven swells in 1993.
          Beach towns' have relied on a liability argument to justify restricting access during storm conditions. As many east coast surfers know, this is the best time to paddle out. With this ruling, municipalities will no longer be able to cite concern over lawsuits as a reason for closing beaches or restricting their use.
          In the 4-to-3 ruling, the Supreme Court reversed an appeals court decision and held that the surfer's accident was caused by the natural conditions of the ocean, a situation for which the town was not liable, and not by negligence on the part of the lifeguards.
          "It's in the best interest of the communities that they cannot be held responsible for the conditions of the ocean," Spring Lake Mayor Thomas J. Byrne III said about the decision.
          The court also held that the city couldn't be ordered to pay damages because a section of the Tort Claims Act says municipalities have immunity from liability for events on unimproved public property.
          The court distinguished a municipality's decision not to provide protective services at a beach from a municipality's liability for negligent performance of those services once undertaken.
          The appeals court decision, had it stuck, might have encouraged towns not to guard their beaches, because it in essence said if you provide lifeguards you are liable.
          This is a great victory for not only for surfers, swimmers and all recreational users of the Jersey coast,but also for the Jersey Shore Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation. Attorneys William McKinnon and Phil Mylod of Surfrider and other chapter leaders and members, along with Steve Foley and Brian Unger of SEA, have fought long and hard both on the judicial front (as amicus) and on the legislative front to eliminate liability as an excuse to bar surfers from storm surf.
          Assume the risk and know your limits and don't forget to thank the Jersey Shore Chapter this fall when the first hurricane surf hits.
    « Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:48:11 PM by The Hodges »
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.