Author Topic: 6/24 & 27: Parks Dept Community Listening Sessions Re Future Plans for Rockaways  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Gravy, first initial W
    • View Profile
I just got word from Norman Chan with Partnership for Parks that they are conducting community meetings in association with the City's PlaNYC2030.  Jill Weber will be involved, and this would be a great opportunity to get our voices heard.  If you do plan on attending, please RSVP first.  I hope that we have a good number of people attending this:

Community Listening Sessions

Regarding Future Plans for the Rockaways

Sunday, June 24, 2007
3:00 p.m. 5:00 p.m.

and

Wednesday, June 27, 2007
 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.

Peninsula Hospital
Meditation Room
51-15 Beach Channel Drive.
Rockaway, NY 11691

RSVP at 718-318-4000 or
[email protected]

Offline Sandshark

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • View Profile

jscottk

Offline Jake

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 28
  • Soft hated: 4
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NYsur4dude
    • View Profile
    • Email
which one or both are u guys goin to?
Jake is back bitchesssssss

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 22
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
Are we going to have any discussion/organization before people go to this?  NYCWO?  Maybe a 15-min pre-meeting session just to make sure everyone is on the same page?

I really think we should be asking more questions than making demands or anything.

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 77
  • Soft hated: 3
  • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
    • View Profile
    • Gotham Surf Club
Like I stated elsewhere in a similar thread, I'm not around for a whole week, I'm bummed, but you don't need me around.
Psycho, da kOOk, jscott, lotusB, hodges, BB, jammy, 2words, adam, original rk, bababoo, tawana et all are probably better fit to assist than me.

but it is a better idea to meet an hour ahead for 15mins to get your "story" right  ;)
New t-shirts available, check em out at
http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 77
  • Soft hated: 3
  • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
    • View Profile
    • Gotham Surf Club
found it...in the GREAT START thread

"As it might be good to mention *something* to Jill in regards to the safety issue & how the people/swimmers are not properly regulated in that area, we might...ummm, actually, I think we should hold back on the other topics till we get a better organized "voice".

I also want to say this bit in fear of scenes past; while it was a healthy & somewhat organized event last night that left some people (including myself) with a bit of euphoric stoke, we still need to act as a group & not have individuals branch off and try & get heroic by mentioning some things in our discussions to Jill's face, which could completely backfire everything"

good luck! may the force be with us!
New t-shirts available, check em out at
http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 30
  • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
    • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
    • View Profile
    • ABTS Living
    • Email
So I was at the meeting last night. I thought it was really very good. I can't say it address many of our concerns as surfer but as Rockaway folks and people the enjoy public space, I thought the meeting was really very interesting. For as much as I think that democracy is a hack, it was encouraging to see the democratic process in action.   

The Parks Dept has 40 Mill to create an ocean side park from Beach 7th St to Beach 31st St.
Last nights meeting was a brainstorming session to  get ideas for what people might want to see.

These are some of the ideas that came up, I'm sure I'll miss some but it was a general type thing.
Sports Complex,
Ocean Swim Learning Center
A fishing pier
A Kids learning Center
An elderly workout Center
A Skate Plaza
A Dive Shop where people can be certified.
Shops, vending, rentals,
Mini Golf

Anyway it was a good meeting. I'm not sure how much 40 million can actually do but if they pick atleast 2 or 3 of these things it might be a fun park.

Offline pefa

• Local Access
  • Local (Gold)
  • ALOHA
    • View Profile

i agree the meeting was real interesting and inspiring. it was great to see the community & dem process in action.
otha is da man.....
LIVE   ALOHA