Author Topic: What are the Wild Waves Saying: Photographs by Susannah Ray, audio by Jen Poyant, Bonni Benrubi Gall  (Read 3009 times)

Offline jammy

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 51
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 22.0 Firefox 22.0
    • View Profile
Our reception is Thursday July 18, 6-8 pm, hope folks will stop by! Our full project can be seen at www.wildwavesrockaway.com.

SUSANNAH RAY:  What are the Wild Waves Saying
Featuring audio by Jen Poyant

July 18 - September 7, 2013
Opening reception with the artists - July 18th, 6 - 8pm

Bonni Benrubi Gallery is pleased to present a new project by Rockaway artist Susannah Ray and WNYC radio producer Jen Poyant entitled "What are the Wild Waves Saying". The exhibition will include 14 new images from Ray presented with Poyant's audio score. The show examines the effects last year's hurricane had on the community of the Rockaways in New York, both on the lives of people who have chosen to call the area home, and on the environment itself.

Last year, hurricane Sandy's seventeen foot surge pushed across the peninsula of the Rockaways, leaving behind water-logged basements and first floors, their remnants piled in front of home after home, block after block. The boardwalk, which nearly ran the length of the peninsula, was severed from its concrete foundation, slammed into shorefront homes and deposited on cars. It was an unprecedented disaster in the Rockaways and countless other coastal communities, where the scale and scope of the trauma, suffering and uncertainty would unfold slowly in the following weeks and months.

People told tales of survival, digging out, rebuilding, and hoping for things to get back to normal. Each person's story reflects a long history of settlement along the peninsula, from the close-knit Breezy Point community on the west end all the way to Far Rockaway on the east. The floodwaters united the disparate populations of the peninsula through shared trauma and struggle, yet as they receded and the clean-up dragged on, longstanding differences resurfaced.

What are the Wild Waves Saying documents the lingering aftermath of the storm and the individuals that comprise the complex community of the Rockaways. The audio interviews and photographic portraits delve into each subject's storm story and uncover the deep connections to the land and the sea.

Susannah Ray began photographing landscapes as an undergraduate at Princeton University. Later, at the School of Visual Arts MFA program in Photography and Related Media, she began to make landscape photography as a kind of geography, "a visual rendering of the complicated nexus of geology, history, and ideology".  Jen Poyant is a senior producer for WNYC's The Takeaway. She holds a Master's degree in Cultural and Critical Studies from the University of London, Birkbeck College

Exhibition Dates: July 18th - September 9th, 2013
Opening reception with the artists - Thursday July 18th, 6 - 8 pm
Summer gallery Hours: Monday - Friday, 10 - 6 pm

Please contact the Bonni Benrubi Gallery with inquiries or for more information:
[email protected]

Bonni Benrubi Gallery
41 East 57th Street   
New York, NY 10022     
www.bonnibenrubi.com 

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 206
  • Soft hated: 13
  • Are you down with the people?
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Bump: This is tonight, c'mon by and see the glorious results of a wonderful collaboration.
So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline f_leghorn

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 18
  • Soft hated: 1
  • Mac OS X 10.8.4 Mac OS X 10.8.4
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.0.5 Safari 6.0.5
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bump: or else! crackie speaks the truth!

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 86
  • Soft hated: 3
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 28.0.1500.72 Chrome 28.0.1500.72
    • View Profile
It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 206
  • Soft hated: 13
  • Are you down with the people?
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Two words: Parrot Lady!
So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 775
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.3 Safari 6.1.3
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
So I stumbled on this old thread about a great event that I somehow missed last year. No idea how or why I never saw this - I wish I could have been there.

Regardless, the website is still up, and Susannah's photos and the audio essays are stunning. Turns out that three of my very, very close friends growing up are in the "Stories" section - Pat Malloy, who I know literally as long as I can remember and who lived with me for a few years when we were around 17-20 years old, his wife Theresa Brienza Malloy, who I dated briefly…and subsequently some years later went on to date and obviously marry Pat; and Michael Redpath, who, even as a young kid, you knew was just as good a person (and artistically very gifted) as you would ever want to meet.

As painful as the memories of Sandy are, these are still worth clicking through:

http://www.wildwavesrockaway.com/malloy.html

http://www.wildwavesrockaway.com/mike.html

Thanks for this, @jammy - the documentaries of these stories and your images are an important part of our history, and your work to preserve them is greatly appreciated.
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline jammy

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 51
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.117 Chrome 37.0.2062.117
    • View Profile
Wow, amazing coincidence. And thank you for your kind words. That project was a work of passionate response to personal and community devastation. I'm always so glad to hear it continues to be meaningful.
NLITB