Author Topic: How can we best protect Long Beach from future storms? Here's what independent experts say!  (Read 1320 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 23.0.1271.101 Chrome 23.0.1271.101
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline nydubstar

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 46
  • Soft hated: 1
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1.7 Safari 5.1.7
    • View Profile
thank you for the update...sounds logical, which probably means it won't be implemented LOL

Offline three_fins_out

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 35
  • Soft hated: 3
    • View Profile
Politics always trumps logic dub. And politics is about power usually in the form of money so basically LB and Rock will get screwed (again) while a select few become very wealthy. The american way!
can you here me now...good

Offline three_fins_out

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • View Profile
Ps not sure how i feel about the 17 sea wall concept, seems like potential to create a bathtub effect?

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 133
  • Soft hated: 6
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 23.0.1271.97 Chrome 23.0.1271.97
    • View Profile
that sounds expensive - wonder what it would do to local re taxes?

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Soft hated: 7
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
it does not sound logical to me. the boardwalk only spans a portion of the island. are they going to put a sea wall around the entire island? houses should be raised or we shouldn't live there in the first place.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Email
it does not sound logical to me. the boardwalk only spans a portion of the island. are they going to put a sea wall around the entire island? houses should be raised or we shouldn't live there in the first place.

The answer is that there is no one answer. Storm barrier? Yes, where storm barriers can be placed. Dunes? Yes, where dunes can be grown. Dunes covering storm barriers? Yes, where the logistics allow. Raise homes? Yes, whenever and wherever possible. Inflatable barriers on the bay side? Yes, for sure, it is known that they work. Intelligent design of the boardwalk itself? Absolutely, where intelligence is available.  ::) ;)
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 322
  • Soft hated: 12
  • Mac OS X 10.5.8 Mac OS X 10.5.8
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.0.6 Safari 5.0.6
    • View Profile
    • Email
"paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Email
By all means jack up the house, raise the bulkhead heights, build giant dunes that block the Allegria view and every empty lot make a giant dune park ala obx.  Long Beach is so poor it can't pay attention, so where the hell does it get the money from to even get a company draw a plan or better yet with Long Beach rating what company would feel assured they would get paid for said work.  Thus are you left at the mercy of The Army Corp of Engineers, the same people we chased out of here years ago for the shortsighted thinking and lack of planning that was going to ruin our coast, storm or not? Either way we are screwed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:51:11 PM by onefinookas »

Offline three_fins_out

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • View Profile
Does anyone have good link to any study of the impacts of sandy ie what was the level of the water during the storm, how much damage came from the oceanside, how much damage came from the bayside, how many homes damaged or lost, etc for both rock and LB but also the entire coast if possible?

Or anecdotal works also if nothing it available...find it hard to think about fixing things without a good look at what actualy caused the damage. Or maybe the answer is simply all of the above?

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Soft hated: 7
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
^well, i can tell you the bay surrounded the houses first in LB, but then you had the whole island underwater, so it's really both sides. the bay was pouring over the bulkhead even before the storm really got to us. but, the bay always floods first. it takes a lot more for the ocean to breach the dunes, but obviously, it did. not sure what the threshold is for the ocean side. but now we don't have dunes, so it would take a lot less.

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Email
and it seems like the bay is more prone to breaching our bulkhead post Sandy, the mean high tide seems to be higher than it was.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Email
but, the bay always floods first.

And this is the crux of the problem. ANY plan that is put forth MUST look to the bay side and make sure the bay side is protected to whatever extent possible. This may have been a "hundred year storm" for the ocean side, but the bay side floods with alarming regularity and always has- ask anyone that lives there.

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 310
  • Soft hated: 6
  • Gil wouldn't go....
  • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1.7 Safari 5.1.7
    • View Profile
i dunno if its as simple in longbeach, but i assume it is...

i've been in a buncha homes in rock, and i know who got what damage, and where the house is, and if you just look at it on google earth, you can look at the street level elevation of every house. the resolution is 1 meter. and, its crude but the level of water in the house pretty much depended on the street elevation. i couldnt understand why a friends house 5 blocks away on the beach block, 3 houses from the beach got a foot of water in the basement, and i (middle block) got water from the basement floor to a foot high on the first floor.

well, duh, the elevation of the street in front of his house is a meter higher than mine. it pretty much explained things. doesnt seem to make a shitload of difference whether you were on the ocean or bay, its the elevation of the house . (other than the beach houses getting the added effect of the waves slamming into them.

jetties, sand, and dunes will help with medium to big storms. but if (when) we get another surge that high, the only things that can possibly make a difference are raising the houses, or building bathtub walls around the entire perimeter of the area. period.

The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
equals four thousand tons of coal

Offline bones

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 42
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.8 Mac OS X 10.8
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 18.0 Firefox 18.0
    • View Profile
    • Email
and it seems like the bay is more prone to breaching our bulkhead post Sandy, the mean high tide seems to be higher than it was.

I made the same observation this past Saturday, as the high tide had the water a mere 1.5 feet from the top of the canals bulkheads.  I checked the tide charts and indeed a 5.1 foot spring tide high was predicted.  It looked worse on the beach I suppose because of the loss of sand.  On the good side the -1.13 low tide made the afternoon waves perk up a bit.