Author Topic: What is up with our Ivy?  (Read 741 times)

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
  • Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 7
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
What is up with our Ivy?
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:09:54 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • As much as we have been doing great in the garden, GF and I have three hanging Ivy plants purchased from the Home Depot at the beginning of the summer that are not doing well. At first they were thriving, but have in the past month have begun to dry up. Browning leaves, leaves falling off. Here's a picture:

My mom had a look and thought it might be a fungus or a parasite. She suggested washing the leaves off with a mild soap, which we did. Didn't seem to improve the situation greatly.

As part of watering the garden, I usually hit these guys, too, watering them if their soil seemed dry. In watering, I would soak them until the excess overflowed. I'd also mist them at the same time. They hang from the eave of the roof over our porch, getting about a half-a-day's worth of sun, so I would say they get full sun/part shade.

Are we over watering? Getting too much sun on them? Are we missing some pest, or not fertilizing enough?

Any help would be appreciated!

ya_bloody_wanka

Re: What is up with our Ivy?
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:31:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • looks like sun damage maybe to me, or overwatering. throwing some organic tea on them can help a great deal.

was out spraying organic tea all day, what we did for a diying tree is we have a special attatchment for the hose which goes down deep to the roots and helps bring it back. with somethign this small you wont have to do that just water it on.

on a side note, a farm in South Africa which supplies a large majority of Europes tomatoes origonally used chemicals, one year the crops were not doing so well. they decided to spray the organic tea on a portion of it to bring them back. the tomatoes grew back bigger, larger quantities and healthier then before and the farm made a very large profit because of it. the organic teas were first used by the egyptians on their plantations and were also used by the Native Americans.

going out spraying today there is a noticeable diffrence between people who use the organic teas on their lawns and plants and those who use chemicals, the ones with the tea always looked better. greener and less patches damages by sun or dead grass

Offline flower box

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • i hear voices
    « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:43:38 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • get all those brown leaves out of there - snip it back and then take it inside. it's getting too much heat.
    CAUTION: Contents under pressure. May cause irritation. Keep away from children. Do not expose to extreme heat or cold.
    Wash thoroughly after handling.

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 06:11:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks for the tips, guys! We are trying a combo of watering with tea and keeping them out of direct sun for a while.

I'll report back!

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
    • Soft hated: 3
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:18:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • also, if you're misting them, this can burn their leaves - the water magnifies the sun.  i'd water at the roots and do it in the afternoon. 
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 06:05:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • also, if you're misting them, this can burn their leaves - the water magnifies the sun.  i'd water at the roots and do it in the afternoon.
    Thanks, Shacky. These are actually hung under the eave of our porch, so they don't get misted while in the sun. GF is continuing the chamomile mist. We've pretty much lost one of the three, but the other two are hanging in there.

Offline ChopChaser

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 12
    • conscious
      • View Profile
      • Landscape & Urban Design
    « Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:05:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Pretty hard to kill Ivy, does your pot drain on the bottom or is it sealed?
    with one stem alive and the other not it could be a drainage/fungus issue.
    ___/\___/)___/|___/(___/C___/c___/o___o___