Author Topic: sprouted garlic bulbs?  (Read 624 times)

Offline onefinookas

• Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 322
  • Soft hated: 12
    • View Profile
    • Email
sprouted garlic bulbs?
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you know if you leave a garlic bulb around to long it will sprout?  Can and how do I plant this bad boy?
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 7
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: sprouted garlic bulbs?
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:10:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you know if you leave a garlic bulb around to long it will sprout?  Can and how do I plant this bad boy?
    I've read that you put garlic in the ground in the fall for harvest the following year. So wanted to do this for our summer harvest, but we missed the window.

Here's a link:
    http://www.garlic-central.com/garlic-growing.html

Offline hubert

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:11:50 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • in by columbus day out by the fourth of july. 
    put the pointed (sprouted) sided facing up, throw some mulch around it so it doesn't heave out of the ground during winter frost and freeze cycles and by next summer you'll get a whole head out of it.
    (there's some more info but thats the need to knows to get its started)

and yeah onefin, if you're in the hudson valley get in touch, i'll show you around and tip you off to the good swimming holes.

Offline onefinookas

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • no doubt, maybe after the paddle snaggle and I can take a road trip, assumin there are no waves.
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 310
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Gil wouldn't go....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:08:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i have this orange tree i grew from a seed from an orange that came with some chinese food in 1987. anyway, when it was just a wee tree, i had some garlic laying around that had sprouted, so i just kinda stuck it in the dirt to the side of it and forgot about it...several weeks later, the orange tree wasn't looking so good, and i saw that there were little garlic sprouts coming out of the dirt...and upon further investigation it appeared that the garlic had had an explosion of root growth. i wrestled it out of the dirt, prying open its death grip on the orange, and hurled it out the open window of our 14th floor apartment. as i slumped down next to the orange tree panting with exhaustion, i savored the sweet rescue of my stalwart friend, and looked forward to years of quiet companionship.

damn you, garlic.
    The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

Offline nycfunkart

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 8
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i have this orange tree i grew from a seed from an orange that came with some chinese food in 1987. anyway, when it was just a wee tree, i had some garlic laying around that had sprouted, so i just kinda stuck it in the dirt to the side of it and forgot about it...several weeks later, the orange tree wasn't looking so good, and i saw that there were little garlic sprouts coming out of the dirt...and upon further investigation it appeared that the garlic had had an explosion of root growth. i wrestled it out of the dirt, prying open its death grip on the orange, and hurled it out the open window of our 14th floor apartment. as i slumped down next to the orange tree panting with exhaustion, i savored the sweet rescue of my stalwart friend, and looked forward to years of quiet companionship.

damn you, garlic.

sure that wasn't a diff kind of seed- plant?