Author Topic: Seeds from Veggies?  (Read 706 times)

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
  • Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 7
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Seeds from Veggies?
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:47:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Anyone had success harvesting seeds from a previous year's crops? From what I have read, given how many store-bought seeds are hybridized, seeds from the fruit of hybrid plants may be a bit problematic. Reinforcing disease susceptibility that was suppressed in the parent plant's seed, something like that.

Has anyone just thrown caution to the wind and carried their plants over year-to-year? Granted, a packet of seeds is pretty cheap, but we've had some delicious veggies this year that I'd like to take a shot at growing again next year. Specifically, the tomatoes we've grown and these AWESOME Hungarian Wax variety banana peppers. So darn sweet, not too spicy.

Next year I am going to incorporate some heirloom varieties into the mix. I feel like that is the way to go if you want to keep stuff year-to-year.

Offline hubert

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Seeds from Veggies?
    « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:22:06 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • most tomatoes aren't hybrids, meaning that if you save this year's seeds correctly they will reproduce the same fruit next year.  most peppers are hybrids (what's called F-1s) meaning that this year's seeds will revert back to the original strains next year i.e. your fruit this year are the result of controlled breeding between two separate linages. if you save this years seeds next year's crop will be something more akin to its grandparents... or some bastardization of that.
    with that in mind...
    go for it...
    what do you have to lose?

here's some awesome info from what i think is the most awesome seed company, which, incidentally puts out the most awesome seed catalogue choke full of awesomeness:

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/seed_saving.htm

Offline nycwipeout

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity
      • AOL Instant Messenger - nycwipeout
      • View Profile
      • Gotham Surf Club
    « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have pepper plants that are over 4 years old, habanero & scotch bonnet. We also carry over a variety of other plants indoors but not tomatoes, but this year I will be attempting that.

I have also successfully dried the seeds of my pepper plants and got new crops for the next season, though my timing isn't the best when putting them out in the spring.
    New t-shirts available, check em out at
    http://www.gotham-surf-club.com

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline surfplusart

• Wahine
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 43
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hubert, thanks so much for that link!!! Just getting into a little gardening the past year or so... Really enjoy taking care of my plants, experimenting, and learning something new here and there.
    Darian would go

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 7
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 02:58:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks for the info guys!

Hubert - one of our best tomato plants is a Goliath Hybrid, but many of the rest did not seem to indicate that they were hybrids. I'll check. But that is one hearty plant, with awesome fruit as well.

We'll definitely give it a shot. When I cook with hot peppers, often times I take the seeds and ribs out, so the seeds are getting separated as a matter of course, so I may as well set them aside and see what we can do with them!

Offline surfplusart

• Wahine
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 43
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Just placed an impulse seed order with Fedco, not really paying much attention to season planting considerations. Figure it out later when the seeds arrive. Pretty happy about it. After, remembered my neighbor mentioned Hudson Valley Seed Library, looks like a smaller operation, but another good resource.
    Darian would go