Author Topic: Raised bed gardening  (Read 533 times)

Offline surfplusart

• Wahine
  • Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 43
  • Soft hated: 6
  • Mac OS X 10.5.6 Mac OS X 10.5.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 3.2.1 Safari 3.2.1
    • View Profile
Raised bed gardening
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Question here...
    Are you gardeners out there lining the bottom of your raised beds with anything or just adding good soil on top of the existing ground?

My landlord had the soil tested and said there wasn't anything toxic... used to be a house there, just plain ground now.

I was thinking just add soil on top and not worry about it possibly getting washed out by rain (box may not be perfectly flush against the ground)... maybe pack in the bottom soil against the box and then just add more soil if needed?
    The 4x16 box is pretty much ready to go...so I'm able to move the seedlings in this weekend.

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.5.8 Mac OS X 10.5.8
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.5 Safari 5.0.5
      • View Profile
    Re: Raised bed gardening
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:59:35 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • hi s.p.a. - maybe talk to Tim.  General no-no's are pressure treated wood...and plastic breaks down/leaches.  I imagine the roots would have to go pretty deep to hit the soil below the dirt you've filled into the bed...?  Not sure if they tested for lead or not...but if there was an old house there that was demolished...seems like it could be one of the things to watch out for (common in soil around the city -- and sucked up pretty easily by leafy greens I'm told).
    the A is a small price to pay

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 7.0 MS Internet Explorer 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:49:23 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • how deep is the raised box? you could dig down about 6 inches and replace / amend what's there and then add up another foot or so. some stuff doesn't go very deep (e.g. arugula, which we were able to grow in shallow containers), but other veggies need more depth (e.g. carrots). we planted on concrete and i think our boxes were over a foot deep. even still, i think the carrots would have appreciated more room. i would at a minimum loosen the ground (so long as you think it's not toxic), then add whatever your depth of new planting soil.

Offline surfplusart

• Wahine
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 43
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Mac OS X 10.4.11 Mac OS X 10.4.11
    • Browser:
    • Safari 4.1.2 Safari 4.1.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks guys. I'm going to ask for details about the soil report and consider how much depth I need. carrots will stay in containers. I just now heard from my neighbor that nurseries sell "landscape cloth" so you don't have to use plastic. Unfortunately the box which the landlord bought is only 8 inches and kinda flimsy so it will also have to be staked and probably needs to be filled to the top. 8 inches i've read is kind of the minimum height, would prefer not to dig if I don't have to.
    Darian would go