Author Topic: Garden Photos  (Read 1295 times)

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
  • Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 7
  • Soft hated: 1
  • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.5.9 Firefox 3.5.9
    • View Profile
    • Email
Garden Photos
« on: May 20, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey guys... I have seen some photos posted of gardens in individual threads, but maybe we can start a thread to track progress? Onefin and Snaggle hit the ground running, and Blueberry has posted some photos of his backyard, but I wanted to get some mid-Spring photos of our garden up so we can track progress.

Mods - if we have this going on elsewhere, let me know and I will contribute there.

Without further ado... here is our "barely legal" garden pr0n!

Patio and Garden...

Entrance to our oasis...

The path that leads nowhere and everywhere at once...

Both of our neighbors straight-hated on our garden and put the fencing up. Garden runs east-west, so the fence on the left/north side is not a huge deal, but the fence on the right was going to be a bit of an issue until it got halved during a storm and now we have almost the full light we would have had without the fence. Suck it, haters. ;D

Will keep updating with photos as the season progresses!

Offline flower box

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • i hear voices
    Re: Garden Photos
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • your neighbors are douchebags. do  they have a concrete lawn?  people with concrete lawns are douchebags to the max.
    CAUTION: Contents under pressure. May cause irritation. Keep away from children. Do not expose to extreme heat or cold.
    Wash thoroughly after handling.

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:03:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • your neighbors are douchebags. do  they have a concrete lawn?  people with concrete lawns are douchebags to the max.
    I have been reflecting on what, if any, behavior we might have exhibited to warrant being fenced in. The neighbors on the right are about our age - one woman and her boyfriend maintain the garden. My GF has done a great job decorating the patio, and we feel the fence went up on that side due to the woman's insecurities concerning what her plans were for her backyard versus what we had already done. Case of "keepin' up with the Joneses."

The guy on the left has a big golden lab. The guy is not well, so he just lets the dog bound (and brown trout) all over his backyard. We'd play with the dog over the fence, pet him, throw the ball. One day, my GF played with the dog on a section of the fence where the dog had been hurt at one point, costing the guy a thousand bucks or so. He subsequently freaked out on my GF, then on me when I confronted him about his behavior towards my GF. The fence went up that day.

Either way, eff them. We worked hard for this, and proceeded in as neighborly a fashion as possible before we started anything. We even cut the chain that held the door of the fence shut between our patio and the insecure woman next door!

And, unfortunately, save for the garden areas, we all have concrete lawns. Just the way the front lawns are on our street. Color me a D-bag!  ;D

Offline flower box

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • i hear voices
    « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 01:11:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • concrete lawns suck! at least you've put in pots and a backyard garden and not just little knomes and mary in an upside down bathtub.

then again...

i think i need to see a picture of your front lawn!!!  :P

btw what do you have planted back there? you could cover up those fences by putting flower boxes on the ground and having some fast climbing flowers go up - that'd be hott!
    CAUTION: Contents under pressure. May cause irritation. Keep away from children. Do not expose to extreme heat or cold.

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:36:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • We've got tomatoes along the left (tons of light on that side), sunflowers along the back, and butterfly flowers in the right. Sandwiched in between are cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, peppers... all sorts of stuff. Once these are showing a bit more, I will post some pics.

Front yard... eh. Small space around the steps. Just garbage cans and a basement access plate right now. If we owned the building, I'd be all over it. That said, you've got me thinking. A couple potted plants would set that place off. Or a lawn jockey. ;)

As effed up as the fencing-in was at first, we are actually glad the guy on the right went nutso. His dog is cool, but the piles of dog-poo, baking in the sun and attracting flies... not so cool.

Good idea on the climbers over on the right! I will mention this to the GF.

Offline flower box

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • i hear voices
    « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 03:03:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i have morning glories coming out of my ass over here. i'd be happy to dig some up and give them to anyone interested!

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:04:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • we have a fire escape that bleeds rust colored water on the concrete below when it rains.  we're going to put morning glories in containers below & let them crawl up the fire escape for the summer.  I hear they're pretty invasive, so we'll keep them contained.  Tummee, your garden looks rad.  I think you're better off for that fence...it's not the worst kind -- kind of gives you a little oasis.  We put up something similar recently (but if you saw the eyesore behind us, you'd understand).  Your garden would be a welcome sight - especially when it's in full green!!
    the A is a small price to pay

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks, ankleslapper! We've taken to calling our neighbors "anti-socialites", but the fencing has grown on us. Just wish it did a better job of keeping the cats out and not brown trouting in the garden. The marigolds we planted can't come up soon enough.

Anyone else have photos to share? Box - photos of the morning glories?

Offline flower box

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • i hear voices
    « Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:57:07 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • a zillion of them have popped up all over the backyard...i've pulled out alot of them as last year they annihilated several other plants. last summer was my first real gardening experience so i didn't know how to seperate and guide them away from strangling others. i let them run wild like the gardening asshole that i am.

they're a couple inches and not flowering or viney yet but i will certainly take some pics today!

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Reporting back.

In just a few weeks, we've had a lot of growth!

The clay pot we had the palm in broke when the wind tipped the poor thing over. Now it's in a galvanized bucket.

The basil is doing fine, and we have another pot of herbs that I started indoors with an AeroGarden. Not the easiest transition, but the mint, parsely, marjoram, oregano and more basil are getting acclimated.

Tomatoes are going nuts. The biggest one is a Goliath Hybrid. I thought we were getting two Roma plants from Loew's, but you have to read the stake, not the bins they are in. Ended up with this and a Patio variety. To the right are green bell and mixed hot peppers. Behind the Goliath is a cluster of tomato plants we started from seed indoors along with the peppers. It was touch and go at first, but they are happy now. Some sunflowers (from seed) and recently-planted petunias in the way back.

Turning to the right of the garden and front to back, we have lettuce (which something keeps eating), something that I hope is lettuce and not a weed (seeds got scattered in a storm right after planting), then broccoli, followed by carrots.

I should have spread more top soil down as there are patches were things are going bananas, and places were some stuff just refuses to grow. The light isn't ideal, either, as a cone of light is thrown across the garden due to the orientation. All part of the learning process.

Stoked on the progress thus far, but am a bit jealous of all those that had stuff in the ground sooner and have been able to reap the benefits!  >:( ;) :)

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Looks good to me.

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 11:38:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Stuff is starting to come in. Been eating lettuce for a while, and all of the herbs have been providing like champs. Here are some shots of what is to come...

Who doesn't love sunflowers? Surprisingly easy to grow, if the birds don't get to your seeds.

"Husky" variety cherry tomatoes. Absolutely busting out everywhere. Had to re-stake a plant yesterday after the rain it was so laden with fruit.

Cukes are blowing up. This one is about 8". Still looks a little too light to eat?

Corn, transplanted from the neighbors' garden after they moved out. I think they got a little too stressed and flowered a bit too soon. They are only at best three feet tall and throwing tassels and cobs.

Bell Pepper... These are such a success story. We bought two trays of silly Crayola gardening kits at Bed, Bath & Beyond to share with Tino - bell pepper and tomato. Started both from seed in peat pellets on our window sill in Ozone Park. Eventually transplanted into the Brooklyn garden. Now they are all starting to throw out fruit.

There are hot peppers coming out, and we have been harvesting the yummiest strawberries from time-to-time, though the yield on these hasn't been great. We also started - on Onefin's suggestion - some sweet corn and string beans for a fall harvest. Broccoli has yet to flower, but the plants are strong, as are the carrots.

Garden STOOOOOOOKE!

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • wow - that looks amazing. you've got a real farm back there. sweet!

Offline onefinookas

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • we got these rad purple carrots, orange on the inside, I will find out what they are or if you want I can give you some seed.  They are really tasty plus really cool looking.  Purple like a beet on the outside but carrot orange on the inside.  Your garden is looking great.  Garden stoke.
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • we got these rad purple carrots, orange on the inside, I will find out what they are or if you want I can give you some seed.  They are really tasty plus really cool looking.  Purple like a beet on the outside but carrot orange on the inside.  Your garden is looking great.  Garden stoke.
    Nice! Like a beet-carrot hybrid, maybe? Would definitely like to drop some in the ground if there is still time. I'm unemployed at the moment, so surfing, skating and the garden (plus the kiddo) are getting a lot of attention.

Gotta tell ya, between the memories of gardening with my folks as a kid,  and the info and inspiration you, Snags and the other gardeners on the board have provided, this has been such a rewarding  experience. Can't thank you guys enough. I am anticipating a bumper crop on the Huskies and the cukes. High  ;) hopes on the rest. Would love to see a late summer/early fall NYNJSurf harvest swap or pot-luck happen!