Author Topic: A few questions that came up...  (Read 627 times)

Offline surfplusart

• Wahine
  • Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 43
  • Soft hated: 6
    • View Profile
A few questions that came up...
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 1- if you start tomatoes now, i know it's late... but if it remains warm, do you predict i will get some late season tomatoes??  i have read they are very cold-susceptible, i guess that's the problem? ...even tho i have a couple tomato plants, on a whim, i planted some seeds from a tomato, and they grew. ankleslapper, where did you get the hanging pot system (i love it) for your cherry tomatoes? is there soil in there??? what's that grassy stuff?

2- anybody have some pruning advice for herbs? Some of them look great - nice and tall, and some just look wack, producing limbs and small leaves everywhere.

3- i see on soil bags, it says - feeds for 2 months.. or 4 months.. anybody notice their plants running out of soil nutrients during the season?

-kitchen and porch gardener... thanks, appreciate the info.

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    Re: A few questions that came up...
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 06:57:01 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • hey there-
    ha - my baskets are hardly a hanging system, they're actually just those husk/coconut grass basket liners (in a wire basket) from any garden center (even a home depot).  I hung them thinking this cherry variety would trail downward, but the little things are still growing vertical toward the sun.   we get some fruit but I'm sure the squirrels are snacking (thus fort knox around our potted plants).  those hanging baskets are actually not an ideal system as they need daily watering and dry out quickly (but a space saver on a small deck).  they do have soil, but only as much as  the baskets hold.  i covered the dirt with shells to try to keep some of the moisture in when possible.

you might want to get one of those hanging nylon bags or whatever for your kitchen.  I bet in the bright sun, it'd keep the soil warm and you might get something.  that said, our plants that you saw arrived as little plants (not seed), so we got a huge head start...I think they look almost done for the season (maybe I SHOULD have fertilized again) -- just a few red ones left.

re: the herbs -- sounds like they're 'bolting'?  I think cilantro does that a lot.  our herbs are very weed-y this year, not so lush, except the one little basil I've got growing in its own separate little pot.
    GOOD LUCK!
    the A is a small price to pay

Offline surfplusart

• Wahine
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 08:03:56 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks Ankles for that info, I love the hanging "system" HA er... setup, taking advantage of sun and space. I think yours is so aesthetic! Got me thinking, I've got that chain-link fence next to the house that I can utilize.

I'm all over the place, so this helps me to focus. I might go cheapie and do the milk jug route, like the taco place. I just need to figure out what plants would be good for the fall. The Home Depot in the city doesn't have much of a selection, will probably visit the Woodhaven one soon, unless anyone has another recommendation?
    Darian would go

Offline onefinookas

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 01:09:57 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • there isnt much to bloom in late summer and its to late to plant fall bulbs, I learned all this today.  There are several choices of ground cover that will flower through late fall and I know of at least one hearty annual whose name escapes that looks good through thanksgiving.  You can get strawberries, pumpkins, peppers, and peas through fall as well, I think lettuces as well but thats my opinion not fact, all this gets planted mid to late august.  .  Also you could try carrots, I have planted them everywhere this year and they have all taken, depending on my soil depth I get mini carrots or the real deal.  Dont plant or make sure you keep the carrots separated or you run the risk of growing a weird and useless mutant giant carrot.  I wonder what Chopchasers feeling are about starting subtropical fruits this time of year?  I do remember getting cherry tomatoes off of a few plants last year well into october.
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • surfplusart - I think you can also do radishes when it get cool again.  peas and radishes were our first things to go like late March, April, and they did really well.  I think you can work those again Sept/Oct, depending on weather - they like it cooler.  good luck.  and those jugs for jalapenos and stuff seem to work great!  (and at least the squirrels will be sh*tting fire if they get to them!)
    the A is a small price to pay

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 10:09:18 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • (and at least the squirrels will be sh*tting fire if they get to them!)

hahaha! or our neighbor. we have some ridiculously hot peppers. i told our neighbor to take as many as he wanted, but to be careful. he was wasted and just popped a whole one in his mouth. i think he almost went to the hospital. i like hot hot hot, but one little sliver of those things and smoke comes out of my ears. he must have been in pain for days. probably even worse on the back-end...

Offline onefinookas

• Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • <object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="
    <a href="http://www.hulu.com/embed/BAs2j9fyZLUwvrj2yJRMCw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.hulu.com/embed/BAs2j9fyZLUwvrj2yJRMCw</a>
    "></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
    <a href="http://www.hulu.com/embed/BAs2j9fyZLUwvrj2yJRMCw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.hulu.com/embed/BAs2j9fyZLUwvrj2yJRMCw</a>
    " type="application/x-shockwave-flash"  width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Offline surfplusart

• Wahine
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:49:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • oh man. I LOVE cooking with hot peppers. I have a serrano pepper plant (for guac) and a banana pepper plant. Next year, I am going to plant peppers of all kinds. The taco place has hot portugals and jalapenos and some other varieties. They started to pickle them as a 3rd condiment, which is awesome. i will try that if i have surplus peppers... but my harvest has not been so bountiful so far >:( .

ankles, radishes are a great idea! i could try peas too.
    snaggle, what is that ridiculously hot pepper you have growing? for cooking?
    Darian would go

Offline onefinookas

• Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • casa del sol, tabasco, cayenne, green,red and yellow bell peppers and cherry peppers.