Author Topic: Whey Protein /supplementation /Elite Nutrition Guide  (Read 834 times)

Online Dorado

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 284
  • Soft hated: 24
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 12.0.742.91 Chrome 12.0.742.91
    • View Profile
Whey Protein /supplementation /Elite Nutrition Guide
« on: June 11, 2011, 10:37:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • if you don't have it in your diet plan I highly recomend it . Add it to your greek yogurt to turn it into a even higher protein filled tasty " pudding " with some nuts and berries . Add it to your oatmeal as a perfect carb/protein recovery fuel after surfs /workouts and some fruits . Mixes great with milk , water anytihing . Can use it with oatmeal as pancake batter etc etc . Im finding that after a month of high protein low carb then once a lot of initial fat is burned off transitionng to a 40% pro 40% carb 10 % fat ratio in my meals is further supplemented with whey . Really using this , Creatine and BCAA /glutamine once a day after workouts at minimum and maybe once more in an inbetween snack of some oatmeal or greek yogurt is a great substitute for sweets , helps build muscle recover muscle damage and does not really pack on the pounds if used in coalition with a high intensity regimen . bottomline if you want to burn fat you need carbs to work out hard but protein builds muscle and the more lean muscle you have the better your base metabolic rate will be and you will burn more fat .
    I use ON gold whey or gaspari Nutrition Myofusion both taste awesome and are a great low glycemic healthy boost to your meal regimen.

If you can get your hands on Elite Nutrition from the Insanity workout it has some awesome recipes , also recomend peeping Michi's Ladder online

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.6.7 Mac OS X 10.6.7
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.5 Safari 5.0.5
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    Re: Whey Protein /supplementation /Elite Nutrition Guide
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm kinda laying off adding any protein supplements at the moment, Dorado -  building muscle mass hasn't been my goal at the moment, I've been more  focused on just trying to burn off a bit more of the winter weight first and get in better shape cardio-wise.

But I read what you wrote carefully and perhaps I'm doing myself a disservice, since more muscle = higher calorie requirements, which likely = faster fat burn. Hmmmmmmmm.........
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 92
    • Soft hated: 9
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 4.0.1 Firefox 4.0.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • build the muscle it will burn the fat all day long.. if buying protein get the isolate its a better protein
    "get your f**cking facts straight and quit being an idiot"

christian fletcher

Offline Looseness

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.5.19 Firefox 3.5.19
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:41:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • if buying protein get the isolate its a better protein
    particularly if you have a bit of a problem with lactose intolerance. The isolate apparently eliminates the lactose. It's more expensive though so I still use the cheaper regular whey protein stuff, usually what Trader Joe's sells. I'm only doing stength training about twice a week so I only use it that day and maybe the day after. Sometimes I get kinda gassy from it though but I live alone  ::) . I do believe it helps with recovery though.
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline boyeee

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
    • ...feelin' great since '78
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
    • Browser:
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:04:27 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • if you want a great whey protein that is extremely inexpensive (probably one of the best on the market quality wise) check out

"grow whey":
    http://www.t-nation.com/store/categories/protein-and-bars.jsp

if you buy 2 or more its only $22 each.. a great buy, great tasting, low carbs, mixes well etc...

and if you want even better protein that site has Metabolic Drive which is the Ferrari of whey protein - slightly more expensive

I have been working out for 17 years or more and never really took anything besides a protein shake supplement (when i was in college i am sure i tried creatine here and there but i dont believe in that stuff)...

Now what works best for me are meals with a 30% protein, 60% carbs, 10% fat ratio... and i only take a post workout protein shake ... if i was training to gain more muscle then the protein percentage would be slightly higher and I would probably throw in an additional shake in the mix..

i highly recommend that protein.. and that website has great articles (most of which debunk the meathead training mentality)

team freeloader!

Online Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 05:08:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'll check out that whey online good to know . I plan on transitioning into a more carb heavy diet in the 60-30 -10 range myself once the last bit of fat is burned off . I come from a swimming background and this is my first attempt at weight training beyond calisthenics , cardio , pool or road work . I plan on messing around without the creatine , and BCaa s after a bit from what I've read the 5 mg of creatine I take and 6 mg of BCaa seems to help with the muscle recovery but I'm also reading sondoes simple Chocolate milk post workout . This is all new to me . What I do know is what training I've done has yielded very good results quickly and I look forward to learning more and seeing where this goes .

Offline boyeee

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
    • ...feelin' great since '78
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
    • Browser:
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 06:18:05 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'll check out that whey online good to know . I plan on transitioning into a more carb heavy diet in the 60-30 -10 range myself once the last bit of fat is burned off . I come from a swimming background and this is my first attempt at weight training beyond calisthenics , cardio , pool or road work . I plan on messing around without the creatine , and BCaa s after a bit from what I've read the 5 mg of creatine I take and 6 mg of BCaa seems to help with the muscle recovery but I'm also reading sondoes simple Chocolate milk post workout . This is all new to me . What I do know is what training I've done has yielded very good results quickly and I look forward to learning more and seeing where this goes .

that seems like a good method... the real key is to find what works best for your body since everyone is different...

I do pretty intense full body power circuit workouts 3 times a week where for 45 minutes i do two 10 exercise circuits with maybe a 3 minute break in between circuits - i am absolutely drenched afterwards... between that, surfing and yoga 2-3 times a week i have seemed to have find the perfect equation...

i also eat all day long...

team freeloader!

Online Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 12.0.742.91 Chrome 12.0.742.91
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • my routine is M-W -f Strenght training with the P 90 x Dvds followed by about 30-40 minustes of tw different ab circuits which are mostly pilates and c sit position / plank low plank iso stuff thrown in . Tu/thurs/sat I do the Insanity DVDS Plyo and cardio core stuff that is super high intensity with 3 min on 30 s off intervals all arounf 90 % plus max hear rate then do exercise bike at 60-80 % MHR for 30 min to flush out the lactic acis from the PLyo / jump training stuff .

I too have my meals mapped out to at least 5 a day , breakfast , mid morning snack , lunch afternoon snack , early dinner . Ill pick on handfuls of walnuts almonds or cashews if im really feeling hungry . I try and do about 2500-2700 cals a day but at this point at 175 and dropping body fat % i could eat a bit more but im tryuing to get light and cut up , and get ready fpr a triathlon next month .

on days at he firehouse if im feeling strong late in the week ill throw in an extra chest day of Incline and flat bench , flys incline and flat , and wide , military , reg and diamond push ups one set each max effort to failure . ill do 10-6-8 on the sets of the bench and flys . same goes for arms if at work at the firehouse and did cardio and feel like some super sets for the arms .

I wish i was in San Diego and could surf every day but we all know NY summers sometimes .Ill be ready for cane season and plan on doing INDO hopefully every summer once my daughter is also in summer camp next year
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:22:39 PM by Dorado »