Author Topic: Today's roundup  (Read 1404 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.17 Firefox 3.6.17
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Today's roundup
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So here was my day today in the world of physical activity and exercise:

Ran 3.5 miles
    Hard 1 hour workout at the gym focusing on abs and upper body, circuit-training style (minimal breaks between sets)
    1.5 hours on the SUP, alternating between catching waves and "wind-sprints".

....all before 12 noon.

Not bad, right? Not so fast.

From what I've heard so far, it was NOTHING compared to the 22 mile loop around Atlantic City's Absecon Island that the paddlers did today for the Dean Randazzo Cancer Foundation - with world class athletes taking well in excess of 5 hours to complete the difficult and at times brutal paddle! I'd like to think I could have completed it, but I have serious doubts. Congrats to everyone who made it!!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline boyeee

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
    • ...feelin' great since '78
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 4.0.1 Firefox 4.0.1
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    Re: Today's roundup
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 02:22:44 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ...not bad for an old man  :P
    team freeloader!

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.6.17 Firefox 3.6.17
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:54:44 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Ha - true.  ::)

Hey boyeee, that brings me to my next thought - any suggestions on the best supplements/strategies to speed the recovery phase after long and hard workouts?
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline boyeee

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Ha - true.  ::)

Hey boyeee, that brings me to my next thought - any suggestions on the best supplements/strategies to speed the recovery phase after long and hard workouts?

i honestly only really take a protein shake after working out.. its usually just a simple whey protein mixed with water - nothing crazy. 
    team freeloader!

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 284
    • Soft hated: 24
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:09:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Im reading a lot of athletes reaching for chocolate milk immediately after working out . Good ratio of carbs to protein . The high glycemic nature of the chocolate helps replenish lost glycogen stores and push the protein in the milk into your muscles . I'm doing whey protein with water or recently vanilla whey protein with 8-10 oz of orange Gatorade and insdd creatine and BCAa/ l Glutamine it tastes like a creamisicle

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 7.0 MS Internet Explorer 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:55:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • chocolate milk = disgusting. i would go for something more natural - a combination of whole fruits, nuts, whole grains. processed foods with a lot of added sugar (e.g. chocolate milk) can't be very good for you

Offline fulltilt720

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 44
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 12.0.742.91 Chrome 12.0.742.91
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I think I'd have to agree on Snaggle on that one. Also wouldn't really suggest taking whey after predominantly aerobic activity.

Offline boyeee

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 02:15:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • well i think the chocolate milk is good because its a combo of casein protein and whey protein... with a small percentage of the fast absorbing whey protein to instantly fuel the muscles and a much larger percentage of the slow absorbing casein protein to continue fueling over a monger period of time.

I personally dont think there are enough grams of protein in a container of chocolate milk for my needs but its definitely not a bad post workout alternative.

For some reason I cant stop thinking about the scene in Anchorman where ron burgundy is drinking the milk "milk was a poor choice" haha

team freeloader!

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The article I was reading states that names such as Michael phelps and Lindsey Vonn donthe chocolate milk thing . As for grams of pro I agree with Boyeee especially after resistance trainjng might be a kittle light on the protein . Watch the tour de France and see what the cyclists reach for in the last few miles , believe it it not Coca Cola . While the diet I'm on recently dies not advocate a lot of refined sugar studies show that simple sugars post strength training intense training provide the best pathways to the muscle .The latest buzz is apparently a 4: 1 ratio. Of carbs to protein .I suppose some fruit in a smoothie with whey /or Greek yogurt or fruit and cottage cheese ( another excellent source if slow acting casein type protein ) would work .

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yeah, my point is just that getting the same ratio of "stuff" from better sources is better for the body from a holistic perspective. i really don't like the reductionist science stuff that says a certain ratio of grams of protein, carbs, etc is what the body needs. it totally misses the mark on how absorbable and useful those calories are, and misses things that aren't studied, like enzymes and the interaction of different phytochemicals, what the effects of pasteurizing foods are, etc. that type of science will basically tell you that the HFCS in gatorade is just as good for you as eating an orange and drinking some water after a race (actually, it will tell you that the gatorade is better for you! ha!)

there are plenty of examples of superb athletes fueling themselves with crap. the fact is, they are just built to be as fast/strong as they are. sometimes, they are good despite what they put into themselves, instead of because of what they put into themselves. i'd go for the fruit with some greek yogurt.

this coming from a person who, back in college, ate a pint of jerry's the night before a race, blew through the school record, and now continue to justify my ice cream addiction with that example. in fact, the mud pie i ate saturday night before the AC paddle was justified as "carbo loading" so I'm a COMPLETE hypocrite.  ;) ;D ;D

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • when working out or playing ball I  always tried to model my diet from nature - try to stay as close as possible to earthly purity - so, since the fastest animal on the planet, the cheetah, ate raw meat after a workout, i would go with a roast beef supreme from the deli - with beer - because if the cheetah had access to beer I'm pretty sure it would drink it after a successful run - it would also probably add some mozzarella and bacon to the beef and place it all on a toasted garlic hero if it could - it would probably also eat a lot of pizza.  Highly controlled diet may be more about appearance than performance.  Highly controlled performance enhancing drugs - now that's a horse of a different color.

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 03:46:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• Offline Mims

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 9
    • Soft hated: 1
    • A Woman Amongst Men
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 4.0 Firefox 4.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Little chocolate donuts have been on my training table since I was a kid.

<a href="http://www.hulu.com/embed/y-mNDkWeqvTW4FZOCSsPmQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.hulu.com/embed/y-mNDkWeqvTW4FZOCSsPmQ</a>

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 07:58:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • my new favorite treat that works well post workout is fage 0% non fat greek  yougurt 1/2 cup  organic blueberries and 1/8 cup of crushed walnuts and one scoop of whatever flavor whey protein we have at the firehouse or i have , ive used vanilla , chocolate cookies and cream etc

Offline fulltilt720

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 44
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.6.7 Mac OS X 10.6.7
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 11:25:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • when working out or playing ball I  always tried to model my diet from nature - try to stay as close as possible to earthly purity - so, since the fastest animal on the planet, the cheetah, ate raw meat after a workout, i would go with a roast beef supreme from the deli - with beer - because if the cheetah had access to beer I'm pretty sure it would drink it after a successful run - it would also probably add some mozzarella and bacon to the beef and place it all on a toasted garlic hero if it could - it would probably also eat a lot of pizza.  Highly controlled diet may be more about appearance than performance.  Highly controlled performance enhancing drugs - now that's a horse of a different color.

Funniest thing I've read in a while. Well done sir.