Author Topic: Today's roundup  (Read 1468 times)

Offline ez_ed

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 68
  • Soft hated: 1
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2
    • View Profile
Re: Today's roundup
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 01:02:49 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Two skate sessions followed by an hour of hoops then some Heineken recovery drinks.

Offline Lindseypaige

• Wahine
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - itsallgoodbrahh
      • View Profile
      • Positive Surf Reform
      • Email
    « Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 08:33:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i actually read something about the chocolate milk too..wish I could find the article
    Positive Surf Reform
     PositiveSurfReform.com

Offline kamikaze

• Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 12.0.742.122 Chrome 12.0.742.122
      • View Profile
      • SurfTrainLive!
      • Email
    « Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • chocolate milk = disgusting. i would go for something more natural - a combination of whole fruits, nuts, whole grains. processed foods with a lot of added sugar (e.g. chocolate milk) can't be very good for you

Do a little research and you'll find a plethora of information on why chocolate milk is good for recovery.  Truth is after intense physical activity you want something more like sugar, white rice, white bread (aka the demon foods)  because they will enter your blood stream more quickly replacing your glycogen stores right away speeding recovery.  After exercise you have a 30 minute window to optimize recovery by ingesting some fast acting carbs.  Slow burning carbs such as whole wheat are not desirable because it takes them too long to enter the blood stream.  Outside of that 30 minute optimal window you have about an hour and a half to replace glycogen before the window completely shuts.  Slow burning carbs are more desirable for meals because they digest more slowly, have higher nutrient content, and leave you feeling fuller longer, eating less.  Another fact is the more active you are the more fuel you can afford to throw on your fire.  What I mean by this is if you are a highly active individual and you need to be consuming more calories than the average person you can pretty much throw whatever you want on your fire and your metabolism is going to burn it up for fuel and recovery.  As long as your getting all your micro and macro nutrients for health your good to go.  The problem with most people, especially in America, is that they are throwing all these highly processed foods into their body and there is no fire to burn them up because of their lazy, lethargic lifestyle.  That's where the processed foods can start to wreak havoc causing weight gain and onset disease which takes many, many years of neglect towards the diet on that persons part.  So as you can see, processed foods don't have to be the devil.  You just have to know when the proper time to eat them is and know how active you are.  Everything in moderation.  Enjoy your favorite sweets from time to time just don't make them a staple in your diet. So many people have this all or nothing approach to diet and turn into secret cutters when they have a little bit of sugar.  This is ridiculous and an unrealistic approach.   I've used chocolate milk for years.  It has a terrific ratio of carbs/fat/protein that promote recovery and it re-hydrates you. It taste great and has driven my training and recovery to many great performances in my athletic pursuits. 
    « Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:48:34 PM by kamikaze »
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf."  Fortune Cookie

Surf strong, surf long.

http://surftrainlive.blogspot.com/