Author Topic: The Food Thread  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Jack Crank

• Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 25
  • Soft hated: 4
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 6.0 Firefox 6.0
    • View Profile
    • No Gods, No Vegetables
    • Email
The Food Thread
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seems like we got a lotta people who work out a helluva lot, but what are you eating to keep in shape?  I've been trying out the whole Paleo thing recently and I find myself: enjoying it, cooking a ton more, and enjoying the results of feeling healthier.  This thread shouldn't just be for dorks who buy into fad diets like me though, everybody go on and share your favorite recipes or sites or stores or whatever.

I'll kick it off.

Stores:
    - The Meat Hook in Williamsburg, Brooklyn has been my favorite butcher since they opened.  These guys totally know what they're doing, and have some of the best meat I've ever eaten.  It's stupidly easy to cook when the meat's this good.  Also has a huge kitchen supply store (nicknamed Williamsburg and Sonoma due to the cost of most items).  Cons: Super goddamn expensive, also, in Williamsburg.

- The Union Sq Farmers Market: lots of decent local produce with pretty ok deals at the end of the day.  Cons, not all is organic, ask your grower, pretty expensive as well if you go during peak hours, also crowded as hell.

- Trader Joes: I really like TJ's for an all around grocery store.  Produce is good and fairly cheap if you wait for a deal... or just steal it from the dumpster at night like some people I know...  Also have a huge selection of nuts, dried fruit, frozen fruit, etc which is great for anytime snacks.  Cons, the most crowded place on earth a lot of the time.

- Williamsburg Farmers Market/Park Slope Food Coop/FT. Greene Farmers Market: Dunno, never been.

Websites:

- www.jamieoliver.com - easy, fast, tasty
    - www.everydaypaleo.com - been a good new source for paleo recipes

I'll post recipes as I get around to 'em.  I'll start with today I guess.

Breakfast
    2 eggs fried over chopped up chorizo with a little arugula and some homemade balsamic vinagrette (olive oil, balsamic, a tablespoon of mustard, 2cloves garlic, S&P to taste)

Lunch
    Leftover slowcooker beef shank stew
    - 3lbs grass fed beef shank from a good butcher, well trimmed rub marinated overnight (in a home made concoction of garlic powder, salt, fresh ground pepper, cayenne, chili powder, and prolly some other stuff)
    - 1 large yellow onion
    - a bunch of cloves of garlic
    - a few carrots
    - a chopped tomato
    - chicken broth to cover 2/3rds the beef.  I'd add less next time.

Throw it all in a slow cooker on low setting before you leave for work or before you go to bed.  When you come home/wake up it'll be ready to go.

Dinner
    Dunno yet but the recipe for the thing I've been making most recently is some sort of sausage based taco mush with a side of greens served in a lettuce leaf wrap (in lieu of a tortilla)
    - However much sausage (of a non mexican spiced variety for interesting flavors, I love meat hook's bahn mi or cougar sausages as a base) you think you and whoever else will eat with some for leftovers.  Throw this in first on high heat at first and then drop it to medium.

Next throw in after the sausage has let a little grease out:
    - White onion
    - Scallions to taste
    - a brown trout ton of fresh garlic
    - cumin to taste
    - Cayenne to taste
    - a little chili powder to taste
    - a few pinches of salt, not too much because you're going to add more as you go.
    - Habañero, Serrano, or Jalapeno peppers to taste.  I usually go with 1 Habañero seeded and finely chopped for hot with a few dried chipotles chopped up and rehydrated for smoky flavor

Finally after that's all kind of cooked itself a little toss in
    - Red bell pepper
    - Green bell pepper
    - chopped tomato if you want
    - little more salt
    - fresh ground pepper

Finish in the leaf with a little fresh lime juice and some fresh chopped cilantro and you're golden.

Offline boyeee

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
    • ...feelin' great since '78
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 6.0.2 Firefox 6.0.2
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    Re: The Food Thread
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • my typical daily intake:

breakfast: (almost always the same)
    3 eggs over easy (2 whole, 1 white) w/ feta cheese and a little franks hot sauce
    1 bowl of oatmeal/muesli mixed with 2 table spoons of ground flax seed and cinnamon
    1 multi vitamin, 2 fish oil pills and a giant cup of black coffee

[run to the bathroom haha]

mid morning snack: maybe some fruit or nuts or whatevers laying around...

lunch: (a typical one)
    1/2 can of tuna fish mixed with either olive oil or some kind of salad dressing on lebanese flat bread, hummus and some kind of cheese
    a handful of vegitables (i usually get one of those pre mixed bags of vegis from trader joes with brochali, cauliflower and baby carrots and mix it with snap peas or something)... eat it raw
    and a piece of fruit

mid day i'll have a bowl of yogurt (i like trader joes organic vanilla) mixed with granola..

then i'll go to the gym or yoga or surf (if i didnt surf in the morning)

post workout protein shake

dinner:
    its different all the time... but i'll usually throw some kind of meat on the bbq and make something easy like quinoa and drop a handful of those vegis on the plate

i pretty much snack all day long on top of that... i work from home

drink water all day long...

team freeloader!

ElenaJosh

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:34:28 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  •     Apple purée and cinnamon add a sweet and moist variation to the classic  batter of milk, eggs and sugar. An unusual but delicious idea for kid's brunch  or Christmas morning, especially if you substitute brioche for the bread.
    Ingredients

* 2 eggs
        * 175ml (6 fl oz) semi-skimmed  milk
        * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
        * 2 tablespoons caster sugar
        * 4 tablespoons apple purée or  apple sauce
        * 6 slices bread
    Preparation method
    Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 15 mins
    In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cinnamon, sugar and apple  purée; mix well.
    Soak bread one slice at a time until saturated with liquid.
    Cook on a lightly greased frying pan over medium to high heat until lightly  browned on both sides. Serve hot with syrup or honey.

Offline money4coffeeman

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 124
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:44:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Cranky- hows your cholesterol with the paleo?
    Just saw a childhood friend who was always on the zaftig side and he looked trim and better than ever- he was heavy in to the paleo diet- said it didnt raise his cholesterol #s at all.
    With all that meat, I wonder what your experience has been like when it comes to that?

Offline Jack Crank

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 25
    • Soft hated: 4
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 8.0.1 Firefox 8.0.1
      • View Profile
      • No Gods, No Vegetables
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 01:30:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Cranky- hows your cholesterol with the paleo?
    Just saw a childhood friend who was always on the zaftig side and he looked trim and better than ever- he was heavy in to the paleo diet- said it didnt raise his cholesterol #s at all.
    With all that meat, I wonder what your experience has been like when it comes to that?

Honestly?  I have no idea.  I've never really had a problem with cholesterol (knock on wood) but I've also been slacking on hardcore paleo recently.  Being sick + gutsick with a bug hasn't helped.  All in all, I can definitely say it helps with recovery if you're dedicated to it.  Helps a lot actually.