Author Topic: SurfWithAmigas.com: Surfing Cures Depression, Back Pain, and Boredom (Article)  (Read 400 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 777
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.11.1 Mac OS X 10.11.1
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0.1 Safari 9.0.1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email

I know when I don't surf for a while, I can turn awfully cranky. But does that mean that surfing cures my "depression"? Or is surfing an addiction to me that needs to be fed? Eh - either way, I know I feel better when I surf, so I'm going to keep at it.  8)

Here's an excerpt of the article - not exactly worthy of the New England Journal of Medicine (they cite just one patient who paddleboarded), but hey, they make their point:

"..... a group of Biarritz Doctors have decided to tackle this dependency with the healing powers of the ocean. They are literally prescribing water sports for chronic health issues. The program entails patients doing four months of surfing, paddleboarding and other lower intensity ocean activities. Nicolas Guillet is one of the program leaders and has seen positive results after just six months.

They attribute these results to the vitamin D intake, improved blood flow, building core and extremity strength as well as pain relief. One patient reported that her back pain of over a decade was cured by six months of paddle boarding.

Aside from the physical benefits, there are psychological benefits. Breaking waters are said to release negative ions into the air which are thought to improve mood. 'Physical exertion along with intense focus often produce flow states which flood the brain with neurochemicals like anandamide and serotonin, the same substances found in antidepressants.'"

Catch the whole article here:

http://surfwithamigas.com/surfing-cures-depression-back-pain-and-boredom/
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]