Author Topic: Shoulder problems.  (Read 1960 times)

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 49
  • Soft hated: 2
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 32.0.1700.107 Chrome 32.0.1700.107
    • View Profile
Shoulder problems.
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:06:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Last June while hanging onto my board while a wave exploded on me.....I wrenched my right arm up over my head.  I felt something give and just a little pain.  Just enough discomfort to know my session was over.  Painful to sleep on off and on ever since and a low level ache if I have to do physical work like changing a tire today.  Hasn't effected my surfing much other than the pain sleeping for a couple days following a swell.

My health insurance sucks now (thank you Obama) and I'm not big on doctors or surgery and definitely have a phobia for $5,000 deductibles.  Has anyone out there had cortisone shots for shoulder problems like I'm having?  Any help?  I've had a few friends go the surgery route and the recovery is very long.  I have surf trips planned for April and next November.  Probably going to have to do something.  Its been 6 months and I'm pretty much where I was 2 or 3 weeks after hurting it.

Offline CBTS

• Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 32.0.1700.107 Chrome 32.0.1700.107
      • View Profile
    Re: Shoulder problems.
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:38:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I swam for many years; my strokes were butterfly and freestyle, so I can attest to your shoulder pains. Your joints just really aren't made to rotate in certain ways, but oh well.

A few years ago I was weightlifting pretty heavy and felt a sharp pop, and ever since, my left shoulder pops in and out. I thought about going the surgery route, but I've just dealt with my situation. It doesn't bother me four years later. Now my right shoulder is going too. I'm 23 for crying out loud.

You should be fine if you ice it and take Aleve once in a while, but take a look at this link:

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/tc/shoulder-slap-tear-topic-overview

I'm 99% sure this is my issue, but I wouldn't resort to surgery unless one day the pain becomes more severe.

Good luck, mate! Hope it's not too serious.

P.S. If you lift weights, avoid flat bench, upright rows, and any other shoulder exercise that feels uncomfortable (obviously). I feel the pain when I do those particular exercises, so I just completely cut them out of my workout regimen.
    « Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:02:19 PM by CBTS »

Offline daveysky

• DAVEYSKY Surfboards
    • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1.9 Safari 5.1.9
      • View Profile
      • DAVEYSKY Surfboards // Innovative Shapes. Superior Quality. Affordable Prices.
    « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sounds like it could be rotator cuff related if your arm was forced up and over your head, especially if it was twisted as well. Shoulder injuries are rough and very finicky - particularly miserable for surfing. I had a grade 3 AC joint separation in my right shoulder a few years ago, was very good about going to PT and nursing it back to health and full strength, and I still have pain issues. A couple months ago I took a surf trip to Nicaragua, and after the first full day of surfing, my shoulder felt like 2 weeks after the injury - I could barely move it for the rest of the night without incredible pain, and my range of motion was at about 30% until the pain faded. Finding comfortable positions to sleep was really difficult.

I haven't had cortisone shots post injury, but I have learned that inflammation plays a HUGE part of shoulder injuries, both short and long term. So cortisone is certainly an option. However I'm lucky enough to have a couple doctors and a sports PT in my family, and they both have steered me towards ample ice and ibuprofen, which with consistent and proper use when needed does the trick for me. Do some Google searches for rotator cuff injury exercises and general shoulder injury exercises....they really helped my strength and range of motion recover. Keep in mind that overhead motions (such as paddling) are in general a huge strain on any shoulder injury, so be aware of your motions and change your paddling with that arm if necessary (I had to), but use that knowledge to your advantage to use exercises to strengthen it.

Pretty basic, but hope that helps a bit!
    DAVEYSKY Surfboards // Innovative Shapes. Superior Quality. Affordable Prices.
    www.daveyskysurfboards.com

Offline Soul Korea

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 35
    • stalking the dread moray eel
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 26.0 Firefox 26.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:49:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I suffered a similar injury in November skateboarding.  Turns out it was luckily just inflammation in my rotator cuff.  Went to physical therapy 2-3 times a week (and did weight exercises on my own) taking ibuprofen, icing, and doing ultrasound at the PT sessions until mid-December and now I'm fine (and was fine for a trip in January). 
    The sea was angry that day, my friends--like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i've been in PT for weeks with an issue with the front of my shoulder. we thought just tendinitis, but could be a labrum tear. does sound like it would be more of a rotator cuff issue with you, as others have mentioned. from all the PT i've had in my life, various torn ligaments and other issues, everything i've heard about cortisone is that it is terrible. i wouldn't do it.

i would spend A LOT of time working on your shoulder strength and stability. do some research on rehabing rotator cuff injuries if you don't want to go to PT or see a doc who won't recommend surgery or cortisone - i see both as a last, last resort after you've done everything you can to fix yourself. i'd also opt to treat any inflammation with ice and preferably natural anti-inflammatories (i'm taking Repair Gold right now - no idea if it works or is BS), and then the OTC stuff for surf trips. that's what i'm doing, anyhow. hope my shoulder holds up while i surf my proverbial balls off for two weeks starting in...4 DAYS!!

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 92
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have slap tears in both shoulders..and bicep tendon tear in one as well..I'll eventually get the left fixed BC it's not getting better..they might be able to repair the tendon and just clean up the labrum which makes recovery shorter...that has to wait BC I'm going to NYU Thursday to go under the knife for thoracic outlet syndrome..taking out first rib and some scalene muscle...fun times!
    Anyways id get a MRI done and at least see what's going on in there BC some exercises to strengthen your shoulder might aggravate your injury if it's inflammation.. Most athletes have some sort of labral tear in their shoulder just depends on where and how big it is...labrel surgeries are terrible..year recovery...good luck
    "get your f**cking facts straight and quit being an idiot"

christian fletcher

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 17.0 Firefox 17.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:38:26 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • confirmed torn labrums in 3 of my 4 ball/socket joints (and let's be real--probably in the fourth as well).  if you don't want to take the medical route (and apparently FYI labrum surgeries are dicy on reducing any paint/restoring mobility) just take it easy at first, start doing standard rehab exercises available via quick google, and you'll get to a strong point sooner or later.

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • do any of you have a doc you can recommend? i want to get a better sense of what's going on with mine.

Offline ALS8

• Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
    • Browser:
    • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have heard many times that cortisone shots either don't work or don't last. I had one in my neck and it lasted only 2 weeks. If the pain is in the backside of the shoulder, then it is more than likely your rotator cuff. The rotator cuff consists of a grouping of 4 muscles and their tendons which connect your upper arm (humerus) to your shoulder blade (scapula). This together forms a ‘cuff’ at the shoulder joint which allows you to rotate your arm. If a tear occurs on any one of these tendons, it will hamper the rotation of your arm, causing you pain whenever you move.

I definitely recommend a lot of cold therapy. Put a cold compress on it as much as possible, especially after times you are active with it. This will reduce any inflammation and will help with the pain. There is a shoulder wrap called BFST (blood flow stimulation therapy). It's a way to increase the blood flow to the injured area, bringing nutrients and oxygen to heal it, and extra elasticity and lubrication as well. It has helped many avoid surgery. I've attached the link to the site. I wish you all the best and hope you find relief soon.

http://www.kingbrand.com/Shoulder_Injury_Treatment.php?REF=46PV108
    http://www.kingbrand.com/Torn_Rotator_Cuff.php?REF=46PV94

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 92
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey snags ck Dr. Paci at stony brook...he worked with The Dr. Andrews that does all the Mlb players arms...I'm going to him once I get all my nerve surgeries finished...fun
    "get your f**cking facts straight and quit being an idiot"

christian fletcher

Offline kod11

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 34.0.1847.116 Chrome 34.0.1847.116
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 08:18:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i have a whole bunch of shoulder, elbow and knee problems.
    other then surgery, ibuprofen, personalized PT, ice etc. I found that kinesiology tape works. It does not fixes the problem (lets face it, for most of these tears and wears there are very little fixes..) but it supports and alleviate pain.

http://rocktape.com/videos/shoulder-head/rotator-cuff-issues/

http://www.kttape.com/instructions/general-shoulder/

Offline nose_manual

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 45
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 09:09:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Last June while hanging onto my board while a wave exploded on me....

Wait, why were you hanging onto your board?  That's what leashes are for.   :D

Also, yoga.  I've learned some shoulder stretches that targeted areas I didn't even know could be stretched, and it helps a lot.  But it's crucial to find someone who can teach you what to do for your specific problem, because the wrong stretches can worsen your injury.  And I agree that cortisone shots don't last.  I have a co-worker who gets them very, very regularly for lower back pain.  They work for a while, but the effects fade pretty fast.